Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is/has dealt with the flu this year and tips to adapt page 2

manoseao is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It'll come back pretty quick. I was down for the count for a week

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I had all that for 2 days ....then bam back to 100%. Most of what I understand of immunology says that this is a very healthy response. It's a quick and violent house cleaning that kicks up dust and leaves you in a healthier state than before the virus initiated the needed response. There are ways of looking at viruses and microbes that makes a lot more sense than the whole "invaders" point of view.

Some may even argue that those (like your cheetos eating boy friend) who can not or do not initiate this response in conjunction with microbes as often as they should are actually the unhealthy ones.
    I just mentioned all those symptoms because it bugs me that people call a regular old cold "the flu" and get flu shots thinking they're going to prevent getting a common cold. I have had influenza only once in my adult life and let me tell you it was absolute hell and nothing like a cold at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i hear ya! i had the 24 hr flu once when i was in high school and it was incredibly awful, but then bam it was over in 24 hrs. I've never had it since.

i am suffering a freaking cold for the first time in years right now. Everyday i keep thinking it's gone but then the runny nose and cough returns. I am sick of it!!! Been going on for almost 2 wks now which is seriously weird.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There is a huge difference between influenza and the common cold. You probably have the common cold. Influenze has more symptoms:
    - high fever (like 102 or more)
    - chills
    - diarrhea
    - vomiting
    - extreme body aches, like you are praying to god to let you die
    - upper respiratory infection
    - you are sick for at least 2 weeks

Common cold doesn't have the high fever, chills, diarrhea and vomiting and the body aches aren't as bad. It also doesn't last as long.
    Actually, the flu doesn't make you vomit or give you diarrhea. That's an entirely different stomach virus. I wasn't going to mention it, but you said how irritated you get when people get them mixed up. See the below from the CDC:
    Cold Versus Flu
    Questions & Answers

What is the difference between a cold and the flu?
    The flu and the common cold are both respiratory illnesses but they are caused by different viruses. Because these two types of illnesses have similar flu-like symptoms, it can be difficult to tell the difference between them based on symptoms alone. In general, the flu is worse than the common cold, and symptoms such as fever, body aches, extreme tiredness, and dry cough are more common and intense. Colds are usually milder than the flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalizations.

How can you tell the difference between a cold and the flu?
    Because colds and flu share many symptoms, it can be difficult (or even impossible) to tell the difference between them based on symptoms alone. Special tests that usually must be done within the first few days of illness can be carried out, when needed to tell if a person has the flu.

What are the symptoms of the flu versus the symptoms of a cold?
    In general, the flu is worse than the common cold, and symptoms such as fever, body aches, extreme tiredness, and dry cough are more common and intense. Colds are usually milder than the flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalizations

Thanks everyone for the tips, looks like time is the best thing to heal this wound.

Jack is offline Junior Member
    Elderberry syrup combats flu by attaching to the sharp points of the flu molecules inside the human body and so preventing the flu from developing in an individual. An old country remedy in the UK.
    I make it each year, fabulous stuff to have.
    Flu can cause depression for upto 8 weeks because your body spends so much energy fighting it, so it takes a long time to recuperate.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    75% energy level? That's not the flu. It's a measly cold.

A cold will run you down a little bit. But last time I had the flu I felt like I was going to die, had no energy do barely move, and couldn't work at all.

Unless you're underweight, I'd fast for the entire week. That'l help keep your immune system kicking.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Got my D3 blood level up to 80 ng/ ml and haven't been sick in over 3 years. No asthma anymore, either!
    qft
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Echinacea

Ingredients/Supplies (All Organic):

-Echinacea root (Purpurea and/or Angustifolia)
    -80 proof Vodka
    -Blender

Blend echinacea in blender for a minute or two with vodka until it's like a pulp. Place in a glass container. After settling for a minute, the herb should come up about 70-80% of the way to the top of the mix, so the vodka is 20-30% above the herb in the mix.. Add more vodka if needed to get this ratio. Allow to extract, out of sunlight, for a minimum of 14-28 days. Shaking daily will help the extraction process. It can be allowed to sit for months, and will only get stronger.

Alternativly, grind the Echinacea down and place in vodka to extract.

Squeeze extract out and keep in glass containers. An herb press can get quite a bit more out of the pulp that is left.

SUPERTONIC

Ingredients/Supplies(All Organic):

-Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
    -Habanaro (or hottest pepper you can find)
    -Onions
    -Ginger Root
    -Horseradish Root
    -Garlic

Chop equal parts Habanaro, Onions, Ginger Root, Horseradish, and Garlic into as fine a pulp as possible. Place in glass gallon jar. Fill with Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. Use the same 70-80% ratio. Follow same instructions as above.

For the supertonic, 1-2 tablespoons at a time if you are sick, throughout the day. You can also make a "flubuster" of 1/4 c supertonic, 1/4 cup echinacea in 1-2 quarts water and drink through the day for prevention or at the first sign of illness. Good idea to bolus with a couple tablespoons of supertonic first.

Also, if you're not sure if it's the flu, Dave Barry describes it well:
    The 'Martian Death Flu' Inches From Carpet, Molecules Hit Eyeballs - Philly.com

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    75% energy level? That's not the flu. It's a measly cold.

A cold will run you down a little bit. But last time I had the flu I felt like I was going to die, had no energy do barely move, and couldn't work at all.

Unless you're underweight, I'd fast for the entire week. That'l help keep your immune system kicking.
    I agree with this. The two times I had the flu, death seemed preferable. Colds are never that bad, for me.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast