Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some advice - how much weight should I expect to lose? page

pearlina is offline Junior Member

Question Need some advice - how much weight should I expect to lose?

Shop Now
    Hi,

I started primal diet on 12/17, so it's been about 2 weeks.
    I am 5'2" and before I started I weighed about 159-160lbs. I know I was really over weight and my body fat was around 41% according to my body fat scale.

I weighed in today, I am at 156lbs, so I have lost a few lbs but I am not entirely sure how much I should be losing at the beginning, and my body fat % pretty much stayed the same. I know losing is good, but I am worried that it's not enough.

Since I am really new to this diet, I don't have much information, and I would love some input on how I could improve or even that I am doing great and I just got to be patient.

Here's my diet journal (I started keeping one to help me understand what I am eating) for the past 5 days.
    I do eat nuts (Pistachios primarily, <3 oz per day) and a bit of dairy (eggs), a lot of meat with good fat, butter and fruits (berries mostly, occasionally an apple). My carbs primarily come from vegetables (cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower). The few times where I did crave carbs, I ate a small sweet potato or mountain yam. I don't have craving for sweets (thank god), so I don't cheat with sugary snacks, chocolates or anything. I do drink 1-2 cups of coffee/day, that's one habit I haven't been able to kick, and I am not sure I can.

My activity level is very sedentary. I have a desk job, and I have not been exercising, on the "active" days, I walk maybe at slow pace (2-3mph) for 30 minutes. I feel that could be part of the reason that I am not losing as fast?

Day Calories Fat Protein Carb
    Wednesday 1478 82.01g 112.22g 80.26g
    Tuesday 1432 73.08g 83.88g 117.41g
    Monday 1354 68.28g 102.48g 91.54g
    Sunday 1532 96.25g 92.69g 83.79g
    Saturday 1545 66.37g 115g 126.37g

Any feedback (good or bad) will be greatly appreciated.
    One significant benefit I can feel right away is that I am not nearly as fatigued or tired as I used to be. And I am sleeping a lot better. I just hope the weight loss can be a little faster, I know I am impatient

P
    Last edited by pearlina; 01-09-2013 at 09:21 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    The body fat percentages from a scale are quite inaccurate so I wouldn't worry about that. I only weighed myself once a month when I started primal and never lost more than 6 lbs in a month. But I am now below my goal weight and have kept at that weight for more than 2 years. So don't be worried about slow weight loss.

You could consider taking measurements with a tape measure and using that to keep motivated. But don't focus too much on the scale or body fat. Focus on being happy and healthy
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Thanks jammies, you are right, I should probably stop being so impatient and paranoid.
    I just couldn't help it you know... wanting to know if "I am doing it right". I do feel a lot better, more energetic for sure.

In looking at most of the other primal journals, my carb intake still seems too high? A lot of people are listing 30g of carbs. I just don't know how that's possible. I am only eating veggies and no grains what's soever. The app that I used to track my calories and nutrients have a "net carb" column and that column is a lot lower, more like in the 50-60g range, but still not <50. To get to <50g of carbs, I would have to cut out fruits completely, or even veggies like carrots which I do like.

Any ideas on how restrictive I should be with carbs during the initial stages?
    Thanks.

P

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I've got no experience of being a 5' 2" woman, nor have I ever lost a lot of weight, so may not be qualified to advise. But you asked ;-)

Firstly I'd say be patient. How long has it taken you to get to the weight/body composition that you are now?.. You can't expect it to melt away in a few weeks.

Some have rapid weight loss, especially guys, others take longer to get in gear. There are lots if factors and diet is only one.
    Your body may have a lot of healing to do before it kicks into high fat loss gear.

You 'could' drop the carbs and or calories a little to see if that helps, but again I'd say be patient and maybe stick with what you're doin for a few weeks then see how you look and feel.

Try taking photos (in the same clothes and position) each week, you don't have to let anyone see them ;-)
    and using a tape measure for your chest waist And hips instead of / as well as the scales.
    Also, the body fat measure of the scales is ball park at best.

Don't forget, the primal blueprint isn't just about food. How're you sleeping? Can you get any exercise? Even just gentle short walks?

There are certainly quicker ways to lose weight, but I do believe that this is the healthiest way. But then think about it as getting your body healthy so that it wants to let the fat go, instead of losing weight to get fit/healthy.

All the best.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Yes your carbs could be a little high on some days.
    But you need to work out what works for you, so lower them a little for a few days and see how you feel.
    I am eating under 30 g of carbs, which means almost no veg, but I feel amazing. I am eating 70% fat.
    See the eat moar fat thread.
    Some people like myself don't eat fruit either.

Have you read the book?

The advice most give around here, is follow the book to the letter for 6 months, and then make tweaks as needed.

I haven't read the book, but I have read every primal blueprint article on this website, as well as the definitive guide article. I will try to cut back on carbs from fruits and veggies a bit to see how I do. I will also pick up the book, thanks for the suggestions.

P

Maybe just cut back by a little each day, you will work out how much is OK for you.
    The book has a chart of the carb intake, 50-100g per day seems to be the sweet spot for weight loss from memory, will look at the book next time I go past.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    It is not a diet!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    It is not a diet!
    Well yes that too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast