Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need some advice - how much weight should I expect to lose? page 4

Heth is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Your current rate of weight loss is nothing to be disappointed with in my opinion! I've been losing about a pound per week for the last 7.5 months of following the Primal Blueprint and although I have sometimes wanted the extra weight to go away I know that this is a healthy rate to lose weight at. Feeling great really helps with your self esteem to, and as you gradually lose weight you may find that you feel better about yourself and feel more patient (that is what I have experienced).

Nuts are really helpful when first starting out, but dropping them can help to cut some calories and lose faster, continue losing or break through a plateau. However, I have found that keeping the odd indulgences in my diet is a positive thing for my overall sense of wellbeing. So maybe consider just cutting back on nuts (and tofu) - you may not have to sacrifice them altogether.

Another thing I have found is that focusing on lower-calorie foods helps. I use to eat heaps of butter and to a lesser degree olive oil, but I reached a plateau and moved beyond it when I started doing water-based or dry cooking rather than cooking in butter, and using apple cider vinegar on my salads instead of oil. Also because I eat a lot of curries I now do tomato-based curries instead of coconut-based.

There are so many tweaks to be made within this lifestyle, so many new aspects to explore.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of letting your body tell you how much it wants. Eat slowly and chew a lot, when you feel full stop eating. If you never feel full, you haven't been on primal long enough for your body to fully adjust. (Pun intended.)

pearlina is offline Junior Member
    It gets pretty confusing since there's so much advice out there.
    On one hand, people tell you to eat more fat, and let calories come from fat, such as butter/ghee/coconut oil, but reduce carb intake.
    On the other hand, people say to cut back on fats, nuts etc, and some carb should be fine. And calorie counting is good, since calories are calories.

I guess I have to stick to what works for me Will try different things and report back!
    I agree that my hormone is out of wack, so maybe that's the root cause of everything. I am seeing an acupuncturist to correct some of this and he also suggests no soy!!! So definitely going to cut back on the Tofu.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The other guilty thing I do is I do eat a lot of soy. I love tofu and any related tofu products. I know soy is not 100% primal, and only the fermented stuff are good, but I do eat tofu as a filler, I find them tasty and picks up sauces really well. Tofu is probably not adding the high fat/moderate protein ratio too well.
    Egg whites make a great replacement for tofu. I use a small frying pan and pour a bit of egg white on to form a thin crepe, then I either flip it and cut into stripes, or roll into a roll. Sometimes I add herbs. I think it is Vietnamese way of doing it. It replaces tofu in sweet and sour soup perfectly.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pearlina View Post
    It gets pretty confusing since there's so much advice out there.
    On one hand, people tell you to eat more fat, and let calories come from fat, such as butter/ghee/coconut oil, but reduce carb intake.
    On the other hand, people say to cut back on fats, nuts etc, and some carb should be fine. And calorie counting is good, since calories are calories.
    If I were you, I would stick with the basics. Thats what I did when I started. I ate fatty meats, fish, eggs, vegetables, and fruit in moderation (about two servings a day). No nuts. Dairy was in the form of heavy cream and greek yogurt.

I lost 18 pounds doing this. No problem at all.

I would now like to lose a few more pounds, and it gets harder. Now I have figured what does not work for me, at this point of time, with regard to weight loss. (I have stopped fruit and dairy).

What I mean is, you have a long way to go before you start worrying about NOT losing weight. You lost 4 pounds in two weeks! How much faster do you think this is going to happen?

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    And oh yes, definitely kill the tofu out of your diet. Not cut back, but take it out. No soy products.

Also, cut back on the nuts. It is not forever, but until you lose some pounds (since thats your goal).

yafoo22 is offline Junior Member
    I'm a 5'3 female with a current weight of 199. I have found that 50-60% fat, 20-30% protein, and 15-20% carbs works best for me. I tend to eat around 1500 calories/day, but I stay somewhat active. I've been eating paleo for the past 3 years. I started at 260lbs after a back injury caused me to gain a lot of weight. I went all in and lost about 40 pounds in 3.5 months. I then plateaued for a longggg time, with my weight staying between 205-220. My weeks would be perfect, but the weekends of a 25 year old ruin that. Throughout the past 3 years, I've tweaked this eating style all over the place to find what works best for me. 6 weeks ago I decided I had enough of half assing it and went all in. I've been 100% paleo since, except vodka on NYE, and I've lost 17lbs since then. For me and the %'s that work for me, I have to keep my fat between 88-106g, protein 80-100g, and carbs 70-90g. I've found that my body just doesn't function well under 70g of carbs since I keep active. So from my experience I would suggest you up your fat a little bit, but watch your protein intake. I have found that my weight stalls every time I go overboard on protein. Just keep tweaking things until you find what's right for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234