Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice - how much weight should I expect to lose? page 2

pearlina is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I know it's not a diet, but losing weight is one of my goals.
    Like I said in my OP, the biggest difference outside of weight is the energy level I feel. I am not sleepy at 2pm every day and wanting to nap. AND I am sleeping a lot better. I think for those reasons alone I would be staying on this program.

However you are what you eat, I just want more advice on my nutritional and eating habits.
    For me to cut out veggies and fruit will be really difficult. I will certainly cut out apples (since I don't really like it that much), but I love berries and veggies.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I know if I eat too many veg or fruit, I feel bloated. And fruit esp makes me want other sugars.
    It may be different for you.
    But I have found so much energy with 70% fat, I am almost buzzing each day.

Its all a bit of experimenting to see what "Version" of primal works for you

What do you eat that gives you calories from 70% fat and only moderate protein? (given carb is low)
    If you look at my chart, I can't seem to get calories from fat to be much higher than protein like you do.
    I get most of my fat from nuts and meats. But most meat will have high protein amount as well.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    My opinion is too keep doing what you are doing within reason. It's working, you are losing weight. Robb Wolf, Chris Masterjohn, Chris Kresser, and several other Paleo advocates have spoken out that low-carb isn't always the answer. Maybe drop the fruit but keep the veggies. If you do go low-carb, please make sure you eat meat with bone broth and organ meats to balance nutrients out.

Like another poster asked:

How are you sleeping? Like hours per night? When do you go to bed and when do you get up?
    Are your cycles normal?
    How is your stress level?
    Do you see the sun?
    Do you have a decent group of friends or family?
    What is your plan for exercise? Walking most days is great. It doesn't have to be crazy or intense.
    How is your digestion? Do you urinate and eliminate every day?

ALL of this stuff matters. You can't just change a few things and expect the weight to magically go away. Sure, it does for some lucky people but this doesn't seem to be your reality, nor many others.

Thanks jkr!

To answer your questions - I am sleeping well, 6-8 hours/day. I go to bed around 11 to midnight and usually up by 630 or 7.
    My cycle is definitely something I didn't mention. A few years back I had a scary episode of severe blood loss from PMS, where I fainted and needed blood transfusions. Since then my gynecologist has put me on Yaz (I know it's bad) even though I am not in need of birth control. With Yaz, all my cycle problems went away, but I don't know what negative effects it has on me. As soon as I quit Yaz, my PMS problems return. My doctor tells me not to get off of Yaz, so I dunno what to do. I am not sure what effect that has on my weight gain, if any.

Stress wise, I am not too stressed, although I just did start at a new job, so I am anxious. I don't see the sun too much, as I have a desk job, and currently my exercise plan is very limited, I do plan to start walking daily. I have a great group of friends and family that's very supportive of me, so on that part I am really blessed. My digestion isn't the bestest, I do get constipation quite often, and so far primal diet didn't seem to change that part too much. I do urinate and eliminate daily.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion you seem to be eating a healthy whole foods diet from what you have given as your typical menu. You have to remember that when the majority of people gain weight its a few pounds per month over many months. So if you are losing a few pounds a month for many months that wouldn't be too bad. If you feel healthy overall and you are eating whole foods the weight will drop naturally. You may lose more by dropping more carbs but at what price? if you feel great right now with what you are doing I would continue with that. I don't see there being no problem with eating the amount of carbs you are eating just as long as it fits your activity levels. One thing that did stick out to me was your fat was pretty moderate while your protein was moderate as well. I personally try to strive for 60%+ fat. Are you eating mostly lean cuts of meat? Are you taking into consideration the usage of butter/coconut oil/coconut milk and other oils like olive oil? Those can definitely add to your overall fat intake if you aren't currently incorporating them.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlina View Post
    What do you eat that gives you calories from 70% fat and only moderate protein? (given carb is low)
    If you look at my chart, I can't seem to get calories from fat to be much higher than protein like you do.
    I get most of my fat from nuts and meats. But most meat will have high protein amount as well.
    I have a bulletproof coffee. There is a website, but its butter, coconut oil and coffee. I don't buy his coffee.

Once I went to the higher fat, my digestion has been perfect.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    How much weight you could expect to lose is entirely up to you. You will continue to lose weight unless you reach a plateau, then you will have to keep cutting or up the exercise or play with your macros until you find something that works then. How much your goal weight will be is entirely subjective.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pearlina, you may want to try cutting out the pistachios as well. A lot of calories from a little bit of food and at ~3 oz a day, your looking at 25-27 grams of carbs right there. Some people don't do well with losing weight and eating nuts. What others have said about trying to increase your fat a bit is good as well. You could look at incorporating some coconut oil or butter for cooking.

And a pet peeve of mine, Eggs aren't dairy. They are meat. Sorry. Always bugged me. Good luck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast