Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing merccury fillings page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Replacing merccury fillings

Shop Now
    Hello everyone;

I need to have my last mercury filling replaced next week. It is just my regular dentist and he doesn't take any extra precautions during the removal.

Last time I had this done, I developed severe depression and anxiety a few weeks after the removal. I suspect it is just coincidence, but I am feeling anxious about the possibility of things getting worse again.

Are there any foods I can eat or supplements I could take that might help protect me from whatever exposures I will get during the removal?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Can you visit a naturopath?
    They will be able to help you.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Hello everyone;
    from whatever exposures I will get during the removal?
    No need to be vague, the exposure is mercury.

And I would recommend finding a naturalistic/holistic dentist (if you can afford it). If not, then maybe try introducing the holistic method of removing mercury fillings to your current dentist, and maybe he could use some of the methods.

Whatever you do, eat healthy, make sure your digestion is working good. Apparently cilantro naturally detoxes mercury. There's also supplements like ALA, NAC. And there's also some synthetic supplements like DMSA, but to my knowledge those can be pretty strong and harsh.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Your dentist should be using some sort of dam so that the mercury shavings won't go down your throat. He should also be using a high speed suction to make sure it all gets sucked up. Other than that I would agree to look into a naturopath. I had a crown with a mercury filling removed and I had it done by a holistic dentist and I then went to a naturopath afterwards. I personally took chlorella as a supplement before and for months after the removal as chlorella is known to bind to mercury and potentially remove it from the body. Chlorella supposedly can chelate toxic mercury by crossing the blood brain barrier too. I also read a study that showed that cilantro can chelate mercury as well. So they are worth taking a look at. Good luck with your procedure.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Selenium

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Selenium
    I think its important to have a positive selenium to mercury ratio when you are eating fish. But you should be careful supplementing selenium as it should only be taken in trace amounts or toxicity is very easy to achieve. I personally would not supplement selenium when you are taking out your mercury fillings unless you really know what you are doing.

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    mercury toxicity, signs of, symptoms, amalgam filling, treatment for, Huggins

Look for alliance dentists. Proper procedures need to be taken in order to prevent significant residual toxicity. I wouldn't trust any old dentist personally.

I think its important to have a positive selenium to mercury ratio when you are eating fish. But you should be careful supplementing selenium as it should only be taken in trace amounts or toxicity is very easy to achieve. I personally would not supplement selenium when you are taking out your mercury fillings unless you really know what you are doing.
    Mercury binds to selenium and wastes it. Many people with fillings have very low levels of selenium due to the fact unreacted mercury is released every time they chew their food.

Ocean itself is rich in selenium, and the mercury in fish is already bound and thus insoluble.

I'd definitely recommend supplementing selenium personally
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Green tea helps chelate mercury and eliminate it.

You might also want to avoid fermented foods if you believe you are intolererant to high-histamine foods.

ETA: histamine intolerance is associated with impaired ability to detox mercury.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    mercury toxicity, signs of, symptoms, amalgam filling, treatment for, Huggins

Look for alliance dentists. Proper procedures need to be taken in order to prevent significant residual toxicity. I wouldn't trust any old dentist personally.

Mercury binds to selenium and wastes it. Many people with fillings have very low levels of selenium due to the fact unreacted mercury is released every time they chew their food.

Ocean itself is rich in selenium, and the mercury in fish is already bound and thus insoluble.

I'd definitely recommend supplementing selenium personally
    All I am saying is that if you choose to supplement with Selenium you should be aware that it is easy to get to toxic levels. Just eating too many Brazil Nuts can get you into a toxic range. So unless you know how much is the optimal amount for selenium I would be careful rather than just blindly supplementing it and being worse off from where you started.

Here is a quickie link to some info on Selenium and mercury toxicity.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/29...ury-poisoning/
    Last edited by Balance; 01-10-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I'd recommend a new dentist. This is not a recommendation I make lightly. I'd been going to the same dentist for 25 years, but he had not been keeping up with the many, many advances in dentistry that have occured during that time. And his age was having an effect on hime.

Until I realized he wasn't doing his previous great job, I hadn't realized how much faith and trust I put in my dentist. More than in my M.D. It took me 6 months to find a new dentist that I really trusted, and he's really great. But the interum was painful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast