Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Epic soup time...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913

    Epic soup time...

    Just made the fattiest, most delicious bowl of soup ever...

    Lamb and vegetable soup.

    I had to actively stop myself from skimming off the fat because I haven't actually made soup since my CW days and of course, back then, I would have been anally afraid of it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,671
    I make good fatty soup, without hardly any layer at all on top, by committing a cardinal sin while making bone broth.

    I allow it to BOIL.

    Just a slow, gentle, boil. But that is enough.
    It suspends much of the fat in the liquid making it cloudy and very rich.
    And delicious.

    It's something you are absolutely NOT supposed to do when making proper 'clear' broth.
    Heh. F* that.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  3. #3
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I make good fatty soup, without hardly any layer at all on top, by committing a cardinal sin while making bone broth.

    I allow it to BOIL.

    Just a slow, gentle, boil. But that is enough.

    It suspends much of the fat in the liquid making it cloudy and very rich.
    And delicious.

    It's something you are absolutely NOT supposed to do when making proper 'clear' broth.
    Heh. F* that.
    Hah! Since when is that a sin? I thought that was the whole point. That's how I have always made broth. (I have three big cauldrons going right now since I just picked up a meat shipment yesterday. I'm gonna have bone broth for the whole winter.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hah! Since when is that a sin? I thought that was the whole point. That's how I have always made broth. (I have three big cauldrons going right now since I just picked up a meat shipment yesterday. I'm gonna have bone broth for the whole winter.
    You know... according to those hoity-toity chef's who think all broth's and stocks should be as clear as steam distilled mountain spring water blessed by the pope his holy self. DERP!

    They even have 101 tricks and hoops you can jump through to try and un-sully your waters if you have muddied them.
    No.
    It tastes better cloudy you fools!

    Also... people. Listen.
    Marrow is too precious to toss into a soup pot.
    Cut those bones if they are the good round center kind.
    Roast them and eat the marrow out... there will still be some left.
    THEN put them in the soup pot.
    That is all.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Marrow is too precious to toss into a soup pot.
    Cut those bones if they are the good round center kind.
    Roast them and eat the marrow out... there will still be some left.
    THEN put them in the soup pot.
    That is all.
    I agree. I also like to mash up roasted bone marrow and slather it on steaks. Although I do leave the marrow inside the puny bones when I make stock, but that's mostly cause I'm too lazy to pick it out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    I kinda had the same thing going on actually. There was a slight layer, but not as much as I suspected there would be!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Just made the fattiest, most delicious bowl of soup ever...

    Lamb and vegetable soup.

    I had to actively stop myself from skimming off the fat because I haven't actually made soup since my CW days and of course, back then, I would have been anally afraid of it.
    Can you post roughly the recipe? Thanks!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    43
    I start with some low sodium stock for bone marrow broth and gently boil until its easy to poke out all the marrow. Cool it down to simmer, clean the sides of the bones a bit for more fat/tissue and then immersion blend the broth with a 20+ organic spice blend from Costco. The blending makes the fatty broth super silky...drink it alone or I add veggies too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by returnfreerisk View Post
    I start with some low sodium stock for bone marrow broth and gently boil until its easy to poke out all the marrow. Cool it down to simmer, clean the sides of the bones a bit for more fat/tissue and then immersion blend the broth with a 20+ organic spice blend from Costco. The blending makes the fatty broth super silky...drink it alone or I add veggies too.
    Dude, if you have your own bones, why the processed junk? Just toss the bones in water and simmer. Comes out perfect every time. Kind of a no-fail thing as long as you don't over-salt it (I've had people do that before and ugh, little goes a long way).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Dude, if you have your own bones, why the processed junk? Just toss the bones in water and simmer. Comes out perfect every time. Kind of a no-fail thing as long as you don't over-salt it (I've had people do that before and ugh, little goes a long way).
    I suppose I am not worried about these so called toxic profiles of low sodium organic free range chicken broth and antioxidant rich organic spices when it comes to the enhancing role they play in bringing a broth to the level of soup that's more satisfying to me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •