Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epic soup time... page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Oh, yummmmmmmm

I just sampled my new stock. It is so rich, it is like a meal in a cup.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh, yummmmmmmm

I just sampled my new stock. It is so rich, it is like a meal in a cup.
    What kind of stock did you make this time?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    What kind of stock did you make this time?
    Grassfed beef bones. I got the meat at this place where the primary business is growing fruit. They keep livestock to eat the tree trimmings, keep the fire hazard ground brush down and eat all the spoiled fruit (like when a bird has pecked at it so it is not salable). Maybe it is something about the cows eating fruit and fruit tree leaves for fodder. I have made many a pot of stock, and this is hands down the tastiest stuff I have ever had. I could live on this stuff.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Grassfed beef bones. I got the meat at this place where the primary business is growing fruit. They keep livestock to eat the tree trimmings, keep the fire hazard ground brush down and eat all the spoiled fruit (like when a bird has pecked at it so it is not salable). Maybe it is something about the cows eating fruit and fruit tree leaves for fodder. I have made many a pot of stock, and this is hands down the tastiest stuff I have ever had. I could live on this stuff.
    Very nice.

When I made my soup, I was eager to use lamb because I've made beef, chicken, and even pork-based soups before, but never tried lamb. Turned out pretty damn good I'd say.

I've been curious how certain wild game animals might turn into soups though. Like if you had some good 'roo bones to work with, or maybe 'gator... I know! Camel! Mark's talked up camel a few times.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Sure, although I'd SERIOUSLY recommend learning to ad-lib your own soups for yourself, which is how this came together. Just went through the cupboards and fridge to see what was good and made it with whatever was there.
    Oh, I do - I ad lib almost all of my cooking. Just wondered what you'd used - never know when a brand new idea might leap out!! I love leeks and root veg with lamb stock. Just now, got a big bag of grass fed beef bones in the freezer - Monday morning, stock day!!

Dude, if you have your own bones, why the processed junk? Just toss the bones in water and simmer. Comes out perfect every time. Kind of a no-fail thing as long as you don't over-salt it (I've had people do that before and ugh, little goes a long way).
    I suppose I am not worried about these so called toxic profiles of low sodium organic free range chicken broth and antioxidant rich organic spices when it comes to the enhancing role they play in bringing a broth to the level of soup that's more satisfying to me

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Is two hours enough to extract all those good minerals from the bones? I thought that 12+hrs is needed but would be very happy if it only took two!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    Is two hours enough to extract all those good minerals from the bones? I thought that 12+hrs is needed but would be very happy if it only took two!
    No, two hours is not anywhere near long enough.
    12+ hours for Chicken and light pork bones.
    That's a dead minimum for beef...

I always go 24 hours or so for beef (sometimes longer if I'm busy and just want to let it simmer). Beef just takes longer.
    Heavier bones - longer time - better results. IMO

ANY bone broth for only two hours will equal a miserable sort of flavored water product.
    Bleh.
    None of the connective tissues or collagen even really has time to cook out in 2 hours.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

rankamateur is offline Junior Member
    Dear broth experts,

I tried out making a white beef stock (like for pho), and it didn't gel like my brown broth does. Do you think that's because I didn't cook it long enough (11 hours in the crockpot - I had to take the broth out so I could clean the crock for the next day's dinner )or because the roasting process helps the gelling? I love the taste of a good brown stock, but the smell of the roasting bones really turns my stomach sometimes.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You need a joint bone for gelatin. Like a pigs foot or a big leg joint on a cow. Marrow bones don't make very good soup in my opinion, at least not compared to a big ball joint cut in quarters.

I'm in the middle of making chicken foot soup. I caught a cold this week but I guess I'm pretty much over it. Maybe my boyfriend will get the cold next. The soup will be ready for him. 24 hours of chicken feet plus herbs and wine in the crock pot resulted in a nice clear broth. Now I'm crock-potting the clear broth plus vegetables and chicken meat. I hope the shitake mushrooms don't ruin it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast