Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade skin care page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I use coconut oil for everything.

1. wash face with coconut oil by putting coconut oil on your face and wait 5-10 minutes. use a soft cloth (clean, dry) -- i use an old t-shirt -- to wipe off the oil. removes dirt/make up and moisturizes skin. (some people prefer olive oil or make their own blends of oils).

2. deodorant -- put coconut oil in armpits to balance bacteria there (it's antimicrobial, that stuff). I only do this when I'm sick (i wash with water and a terry cloth, then deodorize with coconut oil).

3. oil pulling/toothpaste -- swish coconut oil around in mouth for 20 minutes, brush teeth with dry brush, and rinse with salt water.

4. hair conditioner -- put into hair, wrap hair in soft cloth (i use an old t-shirt), leave in overnight, rinse the next morning. Or, leave in for a few hours and shower out. Or put it on at beginning of shower (dry hair) and then rinse out completely (you might shampoo if you want -- I don't. I just water rinse it.).

5. Mascara -- basically aloe, beeswax, coconut oil and coloring (either activate charcoal, kohl, or cocoa powder), blend together and put in mascara bottle (fresh, clean).

6. tinted lip balm -- coconut oil, beeswax, beet root powder, blend together and put in little or clean lip balm container.

---

Otherwise, I'm starting to wax with honey-wax which is basically sugar, lemon juice, and honey. Put it on hairy area when warm (like wax), and then put t-shirt strip over it, then pull off and hair is removed. Everything wash-able (i wash and reuse the strips, keep the remaining in a jar because it keeps well, etc).

I also do a baking soda paste wash on my hair after using the pool (usually followed by a coconut oil condition).

And, I'm going to start doing a cassia and neem scalp treatment/condition. The neem is to treat the scalp, the cassia to condition the hair (and possibly brighten my blond a bit). I have to get the ingredients, and I'm waiting until Feb to do it.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link GS, ill check it out.

Coconut oil is amazing for everything hey? Might have to try it on my skin.

I use the shampoo bar, pit stick and tooth powder/oil from Primal Life Organics.
    She makes it all to order.
    I don't object to buying from the US< but really wish I could buy the same thing made here, but maybe ill just buy her skin care too.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I used to just use water to wash my face.

Lately, I've been dealing with a lot of stress, and that's when usually red spots appear on my face. Weirdly enough, a few spots have been appearing on my forehead instead of around my mouth when I usually get stress, so I've been dealing with that by slapping on some white vinegar in the morning or evening once a week. It doesn't solve the real issue, but at least I won't be damaging my originally healthy, acne-less skin in the long run.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    just saw on the lush site that their hair stuff has SLS so boo
    It's weird, most shampoos/toothpastes/etc. with SLS are awful for me, I didn't realize that Lush had it in their shampoos--it's odd that I never had an issue with it. I wonder if they use less of it than most products, or if maybe it's another ingredient that was bugging me rather than SLS, maybe parabens?

I looked at the Primal Life Organics site, but they are out of stock on the solid shampoo bars. Boo.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    My face is always very dry, flaky and red, especially in the colder months, even though i don't wash it with conventional soap and i use moisturizer daily. I'd definitely like to use a more natural moisturizer, but coconut oil and olive oil make me break out. Maybe I will try the jojoba oil, does that seem to be less comedogenic for most people who have tried it?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    there are so many oils out there.

my skin did well with sesame, avocado, shea, almond, etc. you can often get small bottles at health food shops.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    A couple other oils you can experiment with
    Emu oil (this is my favorite for skin)
    Argan Oil (my fav for hair)
    Macadamia oil
    Peach Kernel oil
    Almond Oil
    Kukui Nut oil
    Cherry Kernel Oil
    Papaya Oil
    Tamanu Oil
    Thistle Oil (good for oily skin)
    Marula oil

Skin cleansers (non-oil)
    Witch Hazel
    Floral Waters (hydrosols)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    It's weird, most shampoos/toothpastes/etc. with SLS are awful for me, I didn't realize that Lush had it in their shampoos--it's odd that I never had an issue with it. I wonder if they use less of it than most products, or if maybe it's another ingredient that was bugging me rather than SLS, maybe parabens?

I looked at the Primal Life Organics site, but they are out of stock on the solid shampoo bars. Boo.
    Oh weird, she makes stuff to order. I guess maybe she is just out of ingredients.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12