Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Is there anything to juicing? page 7

  1. #61
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,742
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I'm also thinking we might go with the blender and sell the juicer. I can use the blender for more things. . .
    Thats what we did. I actually had a juicer and got rid of it after having the blender for a bit.

  2. #62
    InSearchOfAbs's Avatar
    InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,466
    Why not keep the blender AND the juicer? Just saying because sometimes it's nice to
    have the option of some nice thin juice rather than a thick one.

    I have both and made a veggie drink in the blender, and while it tasted GOOD, the
    consistency was, well, like drinking barf.

    It grossed me out so much!

    So blender for SOME combinations, and the juicer for others... I do NOT want to have
    to "chew" my >yak< smoothies >yak<.... especially when there's cauliflower involved......



    Julie

  3. #63
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Why not keep the blender AND the juicer? Just saying because sometimes it's nice to
    have the option of some nice thin juice rather than a thick one.

    I have both and made a veggie drink in the blender, and while it tasted GOOD, the
    consistency was, well, like drinking barf.

    It grossed me out so much!

    So blender for SOME combinations, and the juicer for others... I do NOT want to have
    to "chew" my >yak< smoothies >yak<.... especially when there's cauliflower involved......



    Julie
    Totally. Also you cant juice stuff you wouldt normally blend or eat raw like a bunch of herbs or really fiberous stuff.

  4. #64
    Stephanie's Avatar
    Stephanie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    85
    Over the years we've had 6 juicers. Some were very expensive, some weren't.

    I always ended up going back to my breville. Although the Omega 8006 is pretty cool too, and the omega vrt350. I now just juice in my vitamix, (blend and strain) as it's easier, imo.

    The best tip someone gave me once was to always start with a base when juicing and add from there.

    My base is apple, lemon, ginger...and I add from there.

    Be very careful when juicing beets...they are very powerful. I once juiced 32 oz of pure beets, overdosed, and ended up in the hospital for 3 days.

  5. #65
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,719
    Overdosed on WHAT from beets?
    The only thing they are even modestly high in is folate (the beet itself), which is a water soluble vitamin and should be excreted in your urine if you ingest any excess.
    If juicing the greens as well then A and K, but still... no reason for a trip to the hospital even at those levels since the green weight is quite a bit less.

    I think you may be misattributing your trip to the hospital onto the beets when something else was to blame...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  6. #66
    Stephanie's Avatar
    Stephanie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Overdosed on WHAT from beets?
    The only thing they are even modestly high in is folate (the beet itself), which is a water soluble vitamin and should be excreted in your urine if you ingest any excess.
    If juicing the greens as well then A and K, but still... no reason for a trip to the hospital even at those levels since the green weight is quite a bit less.

    I think you may be misattributing your trip to the hospital onto the beets when something else was to blame...
    Your obviously not the smartest crayon in the box. Beets stimulate bile flow, in my case I drank so much beet juice that I "hurt" my liver and gallbladder.

    You like picking on the pretty girl don't you Corrie?

    A basic google search will tell that in fact overdosing on beets is possible IF you take them in excessive amounts like I did. My urine and tears were red, and it took me almost a week to make bile again.
    Last edited by Stephanie; 02-03-2013 at 11:17 AM.

  7. #67
    drssgchic's Avatar
    drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,111
    *whew* Thanks, Cori- I was about to start in on a beet/parsley blend and didn't want to overdo it. I don't like hospitals

    My suggestion for recipes- don't juice something you don't like the flavor of whole. Peppers. Gah.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

    Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

    And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

  8. #68
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Your obviously not the smartest crayon in the box. Beets stimulate bile flow, in my case I drank so much beet juice that I "hurt" my liver and gallbladder.

    You like picking on the pretty girl don't you Corrie?

    A basic google search will tell that in fact overdosing on beets is possible IF you take them in excessive amounts like I did. My urine and tears were red, and it took me almost a week to make bile again.
    I have no idea what the rest of that mess means(picking on the pretty girl? ), and I don't know why you are calling me "not the smartest crayon in the box"(that saying is "not the brightest crayon in the box" BTW ) when my name is right there for you to copy but you are STILL spelling it completely wrong , but I did Google "beet root overdose" before responding to your post, and there is nothing to indicate that at all.
    As a matter of fact many natural healing and holistic medicine sites advocate drinking "at least" a cup of beet juice daily to help cleanse the liver and gallbladder and keep it functioning properly, with absolutely no warnings about overdoses.


    Discolored urine, tears, and feces is normal and completely harmless when consuming beets.
    There is some danger to diabetics since beets are very high GI foods... lots of sugar.
    Beets are very high in oxalic acid and people who have issues with kidney stones should probably avoid drinking lots of the juice, because ouch!
    And also... beets may trigger allergies. This can be from pollen, or from a protein similar to a latex allergy.


    Also... I didn't call you a liar or anything, I stated an opinion based on my knowledge of the situation... I said "I think you may be misattributing your trip to the hospital onto the beets when something else was to blame...
    Words mean things. Literacy is awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    *whew* Thanks, Cori- I was about to start in on a beet/parsley blend and didn't want to overdo it. I don't like hospitals

    My suggestion for recipes- don't juice something you don't like the flavor of whole. Peppers. Gah.
    Google it for yourself and see what you come up with. *shrug*
    I got exactly zero warnings about the possibility of over dose... and I Googled it several different ways.
    That said...
    Those things are SOOPER high sugar. Watch out my sweetlittlemunchkin.
    Last edited by cori93437; 02-03-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  9. #69
    drssgchic's Avatar
    drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,111
    No major sugar rush, but I am starving again. Grumph.

    BTW- the tye-die thing comes through QUICK when it's juice!
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

    Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

    And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

  10. #70
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    Why not have a blender and a juicer. . .

    1. funds are limited so I can't just go out and buy a bunch of appliances (even though I got this one $65 used, and I found a used blender for the same price, but I dont' have the funds right now);

    2. I don't like having a bunch of things if I can live without them.

    I'm seeing now that a blender might be a better choice for us (as it can basically do both and it's easy enough to use a clean, old t-shirt like a nut-milk bag), but it might increase process since the juicer was so easy.

    Or, maybe a blender with a juicer function? hmm.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •