Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything to juicing? page 6

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My holistic practitioner said 2 cups, but I prefer a cup of green juice and a fruit after.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I just picked up a juicer (a $60 one for $30 at Target, if anyone else is looking) and had my first cup of it last night. It was . . . interesting. I'm going to see if I can do a juice fast for a week to see if it gives me the energy all the documentaries say it will. I'm currently oomphless, so I'm really hoping it will. Now I plan on taking it with my amino acid supplements and fish oil. Will the daily fish oil be enough fat to absorb any fat-soluble vitamins, or should I not worry about it?

I'm trying this because I'm sick and tired of feeling and looking the way I do, but food has almost zero appeal to me, so I'm not eating much and what I am eating tends to be more of the convenient variety, not the nutrient-dense variety.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Zach is offline Banned
    I just started juicing a couple days ago because i a friend of mine got cancer and started the Gerson therapy. It got me interested and since i eat 0 veggies i thought it couldnt hurt. Im three days in drinking 2 glasses a day and it certainly has improved digestion even further and gives me more energy. Also reading about all the different properties of herbs and other foods is pretty cool. A few things,

1. Get a masticating juicer. It is easier on the juice and a much easier clean up. I bought a hand turning one on amazon for $50 and think its fun as hell to crush all these veggies.

2. Try a bunch of different stuff. Things like onions, garlic, cilantro, ginger, basil, parsley, celery, beets, wheatgrass, etc all have different propeties and help with different things like digestion, heavy metal detox, liver detox, blood pressure, hormone regulation.

3. Im not sure how much this plays a role but i would watch out for heavy goitergenic and phytoestrogenic veggies. Hard to do because many veggies contain at least a little but i just wouldnt do some of the bigger ones daily.

4. Add fruit! Stop worrying so much about sugar, esp if your taking it pre workout, fruit sugar will not spike insulin like taking pure glucose and it will help fuel your day, also it makes the juice taste decent and there are many nutrients in fruit as well. At least add a 1/2 a lime or lemon to the juice and also a bit of salt.

Stephanie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I would sooner stop brushing my teeth than stop making/ingesting my own broth. Bone broth is the single healthiest thing I eat, IMO. I like a combo of fish and beef bones; that makes the best flavor.

Topic: It turned out someone I know got a second juicer for Christmas that she couldn't return, so I went ahead and took it off her hands for half price. We'll give this a week to see if I feel better/different. I'm actually kind of into the idea of a pre-workout juice, because I don't like eating solid food before my morning workouts (even an hour ahead of time, it makes me feel like barfing the whole time), and right now my routine is just coffee and a cup of broth. I could use an extra energizer. So far, though, cripes you gotta use a lot of vegetables to yield anything. I can see this being an expensive habit.
    Ditto on the bone broth! I have a batch cooking every week.

Yes juice! I've been doing it for years and its made such a difference in my health, energy, beauty. It's so cleansing too. I'm 32 and look much much younger than my age (thx to juicing).

My morning beauty tonic I juice up:

Green lemonade

1 bunch romaine
    5 kale leaves
    1 lemon
    2apples
    1inch ginger

Stephanie is offline Member
    Also, if you don't have a juicer you can blend everything and then run it through a nut milk bag (just remember to squeeze everything out well). I hate juicers and all the clean up so I use my vitamix

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    I hate juicers and all the clean up so I use my vitamix
    Same here. I'd much rather have a smoothie than juice, it's more satisfying and cleanup is like all of 30 seconds. I luuuuve my Vitamix.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I just started juicing a couple days ago because i a friend of mine got cancer and started the Gerson therapy. It got me interested and since i eat 0 veggies i thought it couldnt hurt. Im three days in drinking 2 glasses a day and it certainly has improved digestion even further and gives me more energy. Also reading about all the different properties of herbs and other foods is pretty cool. A few things,

1. Get a masticating juicer. It is easier on the juice and a much easier clean up. I bought a hand turning one on amazon for $50 and think its fun as hell to crush all these veggies.

2. Try a bunch of different stuff. Things like onions, garlic, cilantro, ginger, basil, parsley, celery, beets, wheatgrass, etc all have different propeties and help with different things like digestion, heavy metal detox, liver detox, blood pressure, hormone regulation.

3. Im not sure how much this plays a role but i would watch out for heavy goitergenic and phytoestrogenic veggies. Hard to do because many veggies contain at least a little but i just wouldnt do some of the bigger ones daily.

4. Add fruit! Stop worrying so much about sugar, esp if your taking it pre workout, fruit sugar will not spike insulin like taking pure glucose and it will help fuel your day, also it makes the juice taste decent and there are many nutrients in fruit as well. At least add a 1/2 a lime or lemon to the juice and also a bit of salt.
    Any recipes you recommend? I still haven't gotten around to trying juice with onion yet, haha! I tried beet/parsley/celery/carrot the other day and it was AWESOME.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Any recipes you recommend? I still haven't gotten around to trying juice with onion yet, haha! I tried beet/parsley/celery/carrot the other day and it was AWESOME.
    No, so far every juicing has been random and they all pretty much taste the same, haha. My favorites so far is celery, beet, cilantro, apple and lime. Fennel also tastes pretty cool, like black licorice. Just tried an onion today for the first time and it was pretty powerful but not bad. I definitally felt something from that drink.

Its been really fun overall though! Today i bought some basil, dandelion greens, tumeric root and red onion to give a try.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Just a bit of ginger is nice for some bite to your juicing.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Our juice this week is

silverbeet (dark green leaves)
    italian parsley
    celery
    carrot
    ginger
    lemon

I totally forgot to buy chicken livers for pate today, though. I'm also thinking we might go with the blender and sell the juicer. I can use the blender for more things. . .

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast