Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything to juicing? page 5

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Interesting! Going to see a paleo naturopath next month and wonder if she will recommend juicing? What kind of juicer did you get? How did you get it for so cheap?
    I have no idea. Maybe.

We got our juicer used. It's technically unused (never been used). It's a brevill -- which is a good 'starter' brand. essentially, they make kitchen appliances, not juicers. So, if we decide to continue juicing, we'll upgrade once the need arises. Some people spend $2-3k on juicers!
    Last edited by zoebird; 01-19-2013 at 02:09 PM.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Nice! I was looking at the Brevill juicer on Amazon. Maybe I can find one used, too!

I went and bought a juicer at Macy's on sale and I'm going to make this juice in the morning:

Day 25: Spinach-Fennel-Cucumber Juice
    1 fennel bulb
    1 cucumber
    3 celery stalks
    3 cups spinach
    *Adapted from Reboot Your Life.

Here are more recipes:
    30 Days of Juicing

Here is the juicer I bought. I got it for $65.
    Amazon.com: Bella High Power Juice Extractor: Kitchen & Dining

Not really sure this juicing thing is for me. I had the juice above yesterday and I think even that spiked my blood sugar as I was way hungrier all day yesterday. I've been reading about juicing online and there are a lot of mixed opinions on it. Mark says that a smoothie or just eating the real thing is better than juicing, but that juicing veggies shouldn't be a problem. I think I'm going to return my juicer. It was worth trying out, but I don't think I'll use it enough and better for me just to stick to food rather than juice.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, I find that a glass of veggie juice fills me up just like food, and I don't get hungrier later.

I'm loving my juicer, and having juice with my lunch. I usually do a mix of carrot, beet, celery, cucumber, ginger, parsley, and a crapload of greens. I also love red cabbage in there.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Veggie juice doesn't seem to spike my appetite either, but I use it in combo with Shangri-La oil. I dunno if it would get me hungrier on its own.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I would usually have my juice first, to get all those nutrients into my cells, and THEN I would have
    a normal breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Usually a smaller portion of everything since I had the juice and wasn't hungry of course.

I look at the juicing as drinking your veggies instead of eating them. . . . so I always had the juice
    with a meal or at least right around 1/2hr after.

I also added a lot more stuff like Miss Heatseaker does, so that possibly could help with
    satiety.

Julie

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I never thought about the difference between juice alone and juice with food. I do both and I haven't noticed a difference in the way I feel. In the morning, I look and see if the xfit workout is endurance-heavy, and if it is, I have beet/cucumber/parsley juice with nothing other than coffee. It gives me a lot of energy. Otherwise I just have my big veggie mix juice with my post-workout meal.

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I would usually have my juice first, to get all those nutrients into my cells, and THEN I would have
    a normal breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Usually a smaller portion of everything since I had the juice and wasn't hungry of course.

I look at the juicing as drinking your veggies instead of eating them. . . . so I always had the juice
    with a meal or at least right around 1/2hr after.

I also added a lot more stuff like Miss Heatseaker does, so that possibly could help with
    satiety.

Julie
    Maybe it's because I drank it alone!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We take our juice with protein and fat -- as part of brekkie.

It's also 90% veg and 10% sweet (sweet is parsnip, beet, carrot, apple or any fruit except astringent things like lemons). And, it's actually not that much. The naturopath didn't give us numbers of how much to consume. So, we figure that about a cup of the mix is good.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast