Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anything to juicing? page 4

RandyStimpson is offline Member
    Shop Now
    No worries Neckhammer ,

I was referring to replacing canned broth with juiced celery and carrots. I occasionally cook with homemade bone broth as well or both at the same time. Trust me, the celery juice will make your soup taste wonderful. Boiling doesn't destroy vitamins; it causes some to leech out of vegetables into the water (which is perfectly ok in soups). Check out this article by Dr Fuhrman: Cooked vs Raw

My wife is Vietnamese and some of those soups are cooked not only with bone broth but also with congealed pork blood (tastes like liver)! How primal is that.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Good tips. I'm going to try that water thing tomorrow morning.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Veggies are just not really juicy, fruit is (apples, grapes, oranges - that's what we juiced back home with carrots when I was a kid and nobody warned us against the horrors of fruit juice....), but fruit is a no-no, so to get a glass it takes a LOT of veggies. I mean, American cabbages are not even good for pickling in the 'regular' way since they do not have enough juice, mom tells me. When carrots come up in the garden, maybe. ..
    I don't know where you buy your veg, or what sort of juicer you have - but I find that a few sticks of celery, half a cucumber, 4 or 5 carrots and a beet yield a MASS of juice - the pulp goes to the compost heap and the juice makes me feel awesome. I don't really like neat cabbage juice, but again, masses of juice comes out of a cabbage. I buy the veg squeaky fresh and heavy feeling from a local farm shop. Perhaps supermarket veg - assuming it is older - might be less juicy?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Neckhammer. Why do all the work when animals have done it for you?

Give me some liver pâté, hard cheese, and eggs any day.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i make my green smothies in a ninja. way easier clean up than a juicer, and you get all the pulp/skin/etc and the associated goodies. i think they are a great way to get a ton of veggies in to your diet. i go heavy on the veggies, and then toss in a few berries, a banana, or some pineapple for a bit of sweetness.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't know where you buy your veg, or what sort of juicer you have - but I find that a few sticks of celery, half a cucumber, 4 or 5 carrots and a beet yield a MASS of juice - the pulp goes to the compost heap and the juice makes me feel awesome. I don't really like neat cabbage juice, but again, masses of juice comes out of a cabbage. I buy the veg squeaky fresh and heavy feeling from a local farm shop. Perhaps supermarket veg - assuming it is older - might be less juicy?
    I was referring to things like kale rather than root veggies.

Cucumber will sure give a lot of juice, but I love cucumbers as they are, rather than the juice. Mom says she spoke to a few folks from Germany and Eastern Europ, and it is not the source of cabbage - they always buy from the farm, but it is the variety that is planted here in NA. One guy even plants his own from the Europenian seeds to make his pickled cabbage. That's why the recipes for fermenting here include adding water. Back home, the cabbages are of the variety, that you chop it, put it under the weight with some salt, and then you have to watch out for the juice not to spill on the floor! Mom and I tried old method before a couple of times, and never got any juices for fermenting properly. Okay, you probably don't want to hear all this!

I can't see a bunch of organic carrots going down the shoot still. My kid has a wiggly tooth though, so I am thinking about making her an experimental batch of apple and carrot juice. I made souffle from carrots' shreds last time I made juice, but again, carrot juice seems to be not much better than the fruit juice in terms of sugar, so I am still afraid. But, maybe I shouldn't be.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

becsta is offline Junior Member
    I have juice for breakfast on the weekends. Carrots, green apple, beetroot and ginger. Yummo.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I did juice before my workout yesterday, and I don't know if it's just the placebo effect, but it made a huge difference. I had tons of energy. I made the juice with lots of beets and parsley, which are both supposed to be performance-enhancing.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Okay, my folks really liked fresh juice, and I am using pulp in stews and soups. Today I started my vegetable juice for breakfast recommended by a holistic practitioner, who by whatever reason saw kidney malfunction and high acidity and all that jazz, and recommended juicing.

Holy cow, cabbage DOES have a lot of juice. Cabbage, cucumber, celery, carrot and lemon blend had surprisingly HUGE amount of flavor; I only had about 1 cup, and I dunno if I can build up to 2 cups recommended by the holistic person. I juice veggies first, then I make my folks orange & carrot juice they like.

Buying kale tomorrow to see if I can stomach that. I am kindda looking forward to experimenting with flavors.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I have always been anti-juicing because of the caloric load -- a lot of people drink fruit smoothies/juice with a little veg, rather than veg juices, and I found that eating raw veg as-is (or even steamed veg) is filling and satisfying and I can consume a fair bit.

BUT.

My husband's naturopath said that we must start juicing. She gave specific recipes for us to use. We are allowed to put a green apple in for some sweet (or carrot or beet), but we asked if we can use manuka honey (medicinal), and she said 'even better.'

It is essentially all greens (veg and herbs) plus lemon plus honey. The veg and herbs are picked for their nutrient profiles, to help with certain things with DH's gut, but also "anti-aging" stuff. If i had the print-out with me, I'd quote it, but I don't have it.

We just got the juicer yesterday (got a $200 juicer for $50 -- it's never been used!). Prior to this, we'd been going to our friend's place in the morning to juice (funny, i know, but they only live two blocks down! LOL). So, now we'll be able to juice at home.

DS loves juice, so he's really excited to have his favorite: green juice! (green is his favorite color).
    Interesting! Going to see a paleo naturopath next month and wonder if she will recommend juicing? What kind of juicer did you get? How did you get it for so cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I have a Jack LaLanne juicer and love it. I only use it in the summer when I have tons of fresh veggies in the garden. One time, I juiced a whole bunch of beets, I was high as a kite for hours! I would have loved to give a urinalysis sample at work the next day, too...

Beets are pretty wild: "Beet juice contains a high level of nitrates, which are believed to have a variety of cardiovascular benefits such as inhibiting platelet aggregation, preventing ischemia-induced endothelial dysfunction, and decreasing blood pressure. A study published last year conducted by researchers at Barts and the London School of Medicine found that drinking 500 ml (a little over 2 cups) of beet juice a day can significantly decrease blood pressure. The research found that the benefit came from the ingestion of dietary nitrates that are contained in the beet. Now new British study has found that beet juice can help individuals exercise sixteen percent longer by increasing stamina. This can be a potentially wonderful benefit if your exercise of choice is endurance in nature."

Nutrition 101: Is Beet Juice the Next Super Food?
    Interesting! I could use a boost in energy, especially in the winter!

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I would sooner stop brushing my teeth than stop making/ingesting my own broth. Bone broth is the single healthiest thing I eat, IMO. I like a combo of fish and beef bones; that makes the best flavor.

Topic: It turned out someone I know got a second juicer for Christmas that she couldn't return, so I went ahead and took it off her hands for half price. We'll give this a week to see if I feel better/different. I'm actually kind of into the idea of a pre-workout juice, because I don't like eating solid food before my morning workouts (even an hour ahead of time, it makes me feel like barfing the whole time), and right now my routine is just coffee and a cup of broth. I could use an extra energizer. So far, though, cripes you gotta use a lot of vegetables to yield anything. I can see this being an expensive habit.
    I had the same thought about it being expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    What kind of juicer do you use? Is there a big difference in buying an expensive on vs a less expensive one?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast