Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anything to juicing? page 3

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I prefer food-processor blending and ending up with a great pudding-slop that KEEPS all the good fiber in the mix. Juicing, well...eh. It's better than nothing but it seems to picky and dainty to me. Plus it seems like an excuse to use too much fruit because you're less likely to use things like greek yogurt and kefir and tea.
    I don't use fruit, just veg. And I love it!

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    y'all are inspiring me to get that juicer out! I was making beet juice with ginger and it was quite tasty. I've got a bunch of oranges and i think that would be good w/ ginger too.

the beet juice makes an awesome color in the glass.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I like a cup of juice once in a while, but I like carrot juice, or beet juice as a cold soup basis, so I rarely use it because those are treats, even if you add cucumber and celery to it. Veggies are just not really juicy, fruit is (apples, grapes, oranges - that's what we juiced back home with carrots when I was a kid and nobody warned us against the horrors of fruit juice....), but fruit is a no-no, so to get a glass it takes a LOT of veggies. I mean, American cabbages are not even good for pickling in the 'regular' way since they do not have enough juice, mom tells me. When carrots come up in the garden, maybe. I had a plan that I will use the juicer to make fresh juice for my kid, instead of the pre-packed one, but I haven't got around to it yet. I dunno, I see a clear advantage to making my own juice for her, but the whole process - you need to get fruit on sale, then get to it, then eww, clean the juicer....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RandyStimpson is offline Member
    Take any soup recipe with an ingredient of chicken, beef or vegetable broth and replace it with celery juice, or with celery + carrot juice. Your soup will taste way better, have loads more vitamins, and have less sodium and preservatives. You will need to simmer the soup for a couple of hours or overnight for the broth to get a savory taste. Don't add any salt until you taste the simmered broth because you will need little to none.

I rarely juice for a beverage but when I do its carrot, apple and ginger.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyStimpson View Post
    Take any soup recipe with an ingredient of chicken, beef or vegetable broth and replace it with celery juice, or with celery + carrot juice. Your soup will taste way better, have loads more vitamins, and have less sodium and preservatives. You will need to simmer the soup for a couple of hours or overnight for the broth to get a savory taste. Don't add any salt until you taste the simmered broth because you will need little to none.

I rarely juice for a beverage but when I do its carrot, apple and ginger.
    Sorry to single your post out, but you should really reconsider your message based on a couple of things:

One: Do NOT replace chicken or beef broth....DO make your own as you will extract all the goodies without the preservatives or other nasties including gelatin, glucosamines, chondroitin, minerals, ect.... cook the vegetables in this for best results IMO.

Two: The whole point of juicing is to immediately ingest it without the heating (i.e. pasteurizing) effect that destroys the more delicate vitamins like C.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Sorry to single your post out, but you should really reconsider your message based on a couple of things:

One: Do NOT replace chicken or beef broth....DO make your own as you will extract all the goodies without the preservatives or other nasties including gelatin, glucosamines, chondroitin, minerals, ect.... cook the vegetables in this for best results IMO.

Two: The whole point of juicing is to immediately ingest it without the heating (i.e. pasteurizing) effect that destroys the more delicate vitamins like C.
    Yep.
    You got there before me.
    Some cooked juice is neither healthier, nor tastier, than good homemade bone stock... not by a long shot!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I would sooner stop brushing my teeth than stop making/ingesting my own broth. Bone broth is the single healthiest thing I eat, IMO. I like a combo of fish and beef bones; that makes the best flavor.

Topic: It turned out someone I know got a second juicer for Christmas that she couldn't return, so I went ahead and took it off her hands for half price. We'll give this a week to see if I feel better/different. I'm actually kind of into the idea of a pre-workout juice, because I don't like eating solid food before my morning workouts (even an hour ahead of time, it makes me feel like barfing the whole time), and right now my routine is just coffee and a cup of broth. I could use an extra energizer. So far, though, cripes you gotta use a lot of vegetables to yield anything. I can see this being an expensive habit.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I have a juicer and use it mostly in the summertime. When I don't have the time or want the hassle(clean-up sucks) I just down a 2 ounce shot of wheatgrass. Talk about an energy high! I buy it at my co-op in the frozen section.
    It's less expensive than buying all the other veggies.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I don't know what juicers y'all have that the cleanup sucks so bad - mine, while
    annoying, only takes 5 minutes max. Dump out the pulp and rinse everything, scrub the little
    mesh thing to get the goodies out and I'm done.

Heatseeker - after every veggie blob I process, I then put through about an ounce
    of cold water to get the extra "juice" out. When I'm all *done* putting all the veggies
    through, I pour through as much ice cold water to make the "juice liquid" coming out
    of the juicer, turn clear.

I feel this way that I'm getting the most bang for my buck.

I get a LOT of juice from only 1/2 bunch of spinach, 2 carrots, 2 celery and a cucumber.. along with my
    bits of water here and there, like more than 16oz.

Read up on the internet on how to juice properly (like putting leafy stuff inbetween harder things
    like carrots to get the most juice out) and you'll be a juicing pro for half the cost in no time flat.

Julie

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    double post - man this site sucks so bad the past couple of days! wtf!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast