Thread: Never Hungry?!?! page

CaveGirl Guest

Primal Fuel

Ok, do I've been tracking my food for a little under a week and i really don't think I'm eating enough, but ever since going primal I'm not that hungry anymore.

Typical Day Example:

Morning: 2 pastured eggs fried in coconut oil, couple of strawberries.

Afternoon: 1/2 a duck breast (or like 1 bison patty) with spinach and peppers (with a dollop of bacon fat on the veggies). Usually followed by berries (pint-ish) with coconut oil drizzled over.

Night: Little bit of bacon (a strip or so) with maybe some nuts or berries.Sometimes 1/2 and avocado with tomatoes and olive oil.

Now I don't think I'm eating enough, but I just don't have the same appetite I used to when I was all carb-y. I also do capoeira, and used to be starving by the end of class and now I'm just not that hungry. It hasn't been very long I'm eating like this but I don't think its too healthy for long term. Whats a girl to do?

Some stats if it helps:

Female, 25, 5'2, 157lbs (pretty decent amount is muscle hiding under fat), fairly active (20 minutes kettlebells 2x a week) and capoeira (1.5-2hrs 2-3x a week).

Where the heck is my appetite?

I am the same. When I first went Primal I was having a difficult time getting over 1200 calories a day sometimes and I was eating until I was full/ satieted. Maybe try some more red meat?

Since going Primal, I really have not been as hungry and people say "Eat more!!!" and I say "Of what, when??? I'm not hungry!"

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

If you are having a balanced primal diet, I think you should be fine just eating when you are hungry. Worst case scenario, you'll lose fat until you reach your ideal weight.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

CaveGirl Guest

SS: So does it look more or less balanced, according to PB?

On the plus side, I'm not stuper hungry anymore (used to be no matter how much I ate I was already ready for more)and emotionally I feel more balanced (not so many ups and downs).

Just this whole no appetite thing bugs me, I feel like after reading other people's journals I'm just not eating enough. Although I am trying to shed some excess fat but I'm not really telling myself "eat less" it just is happening naturally.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I have days when I'm not very hungry, and days (yesterday!) when I had great difficulty keeping it down to 2400 calories. Sort of like the old days of 4000 calories, just gotta eat.

It's the fats and proteins.

Food looks yummy. Maybe try steak with the eggs for breakfast.

Also, try dropping out the berries with every meal and save them for after your evening meal, which should have more protein and fat.

I think your appetite does return a bit more, as mine has since first 'losing' it in the beginning.

Just keep monitoring how you feel and your progress on a weekly basis and then tweak your diet according to your results.

For me, losing weight seems to work in 'mini-processes', like, intermittent fasting for breakfast and then 0 - 50g carb days on/ off with 1 refeed day for that week, then maybe a week of 50 - 100g carbs followed by another week of 'ketosis' (0 - 50g carb) days on/ off with IF, with a refeed at the end.

Depends on how your body responds, but for me, cycling between ketosis, intermittent fasting and what-not seem to keep my body on it's toes.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

CaveGirl, as SF says, I'd reduce the berries and also add a varied, colorful *big* fresh salad with good olive oil. Also make sure you are eating enough protein. Other than that I think your diet looks good.

Don't be bugged by your lack of appetite. I experience the same and think it's a result of a state in which lack of starch and sugar allows your body to regulate itself better. I think this causes your appetite to be more aligned with your real energy requirements.

Hunger stability is probably what I love the most about the PB

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Hunger stability. Nice phrase. Agreed, I love not bottoming out anymore!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

mds86 Guest

If you're happy with what you're doing and feel satisfied, I would say just stick with it. Eventually you'll get bored of it and try other things. It's great that you aren't overeating. Calorie wise, you're probably between 1000-1300 depending on how large the "dollop" or "drizzle" is. Generally, under 1200 is considered unsafe, but forgetaboutit! Go with your instincts and always shift towards your goals.