Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheatophobia? Opinion please page

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member

Wheatophobia? Opinion please

Shop Now
    Hi All

I'v been near on 95% primal for three months now and love it. I feel great and have lost 22 lbs. I'm now 172lb ( 5'9")

I often get drawn into discussions regarding my weight loss and how I'v done it. Naturally I explain the PB lifestyle and the cutting out of grains from my diet. Most people think the weight loss is great but think I'm nuts for not eating bread.

My calorie intake has dropped dramatically as I don't feel hungry and my usual intake of sugary crap has stopped. So I can't say all of my loss is down to no wheat can I?

I'v checked out the net for more information on the pro's and cons of wheat and recently found this

Wheatophobia: Will Avoiding Wheat Really Improve Your Health? | Wellness Letter

Are these claims a fair statement or just misinformation as per usual in an attempt to deffend the wheat industry?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    What's to defend about eating Round-Up?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't take into account how activity levels have dropped. Everyone agrees that people with high activity levels can eat virtually unlimited carbs and get away with it. Americans for the most part lead very sedentary lives. Comparing us to people in less developed nations that get a lot more exercise than us isn't apples to apples. Also my guess would be they are making bread and stuff from minimal ingredients which lessens their exposure to all the crap we put in our processed foods. Wheat is just part of our problem in the US.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    Hi All

My calorie intake has dropped dramatically as I don't feel hungry and my usual intake of sugary crap has stopped. So I can't say all of my loss is down to no wheat can I?

Eating wheat and sugar makes people want to eat more wheat and sugar.

Have you ever noticed that you can mindlessly eat a box of oreos in one sitting, but its almost impossible (and undesirable) to do the same with steak and avocado? (I'm not speaking for the people who's hunger signals and metabolism are *broken*. Based on your success you aren't one of those people)

People aren't going to believe you (or want to believe you) that it can be as simple as eliminating wheat. So tell them a truth they can wrap their brain around...that by eating real food, and avoid refined grains and sugars most of the time, you are less hungry and more satisfied, so you eat less. Let them think its purely willpower.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

cantare is offline Senior Member
    When it comes to daily diet it usually isn't practical to isolate variables to the extent required to prove causality.. Best you can do is take on a defined set of empirical approaches you feel reasonably positive about, test the results & adjust as required...which leaves the door open to endless arguments about which aspects of your plan actually "work" and which are merely incidental. In others' minds you're always "just eating less" or "just avoiding chemicals in processed food" or "just getting more vegetables"--or whatever "just ____" sits most comfortably with their own preconceptions about health and their resistance to change. In my case, everyone seizes upon exercise once they find out I've walked over 1000 increasingly hilly miles since starting. That way I'm succeeding despite the high fat intake and grain deprivation, not because of it.

I like reading the theories about why this works, but I've mostly given up trying to convince people 1 on 1 unless they are clearly interested in pursuing the same path and want the gory details. Did you do this to become a seasoned advocate & debater, or to get healthy? I'm no celiac but wheat makes me feel brain-fogged and inappropriately hungry, so I avoid it...and there are obviously a lot of people in the same boat.

I like turning it around and asking grain-pushers what's so all-fired essential about wheat that I can't get elsewhere--I mean, fiber? calories? some paltry amount of B vitamins? Please! But ultimately, if someone wants to brandish the UCB Wellness Letter & USDA MyPlate pamphlets while eating wheat morning noon and night, and they're happy & fit doing it, then more power to 'em--but if they're fat and depressed and prediabetic and wonder why the hell they just can't stop eating pasta, point them to Sisson, Taubes, Davis et al. and let them decide.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    Are these claims a fair statement or just misinformation as per usual in an attempt to deffend the wheat industry?
    First of all, this.

They aren't flat out lies, but I think that they are no more factual than the statements they are debunking necessarily. Some examples:

"There’s no clinical evidence that differences between today’s wheat and older varieties have adverse effects on our health. "
    Except that modern wheat is much higher in gluten, and gluten sensitivity is a real thing (ironically, the article doesn't get around to discussing gluten sensitivity until after the end of the article proper). I personally think that *everyone* is gluten sensitive, just to a greater or lesser degree. And if you're gluten sensitive and there's more gluten in modern wheat, then .....

"Many studies have linked higher intakes of whole grains (including whole wheat) with a reduced risk of diabetes, heart disease, and stroke, as well as improvements in blood cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar control. "
    Whole wheat being good is is relative. Better than what? That 'whole wheat diets' in the most studies I have seen are displacing refined wheat. It's the same as a clinical trial of filtered cigarettes vs unfiltered cigarettes finding that the filtered cigarettes are 'heart healthy' because they are better for you than what they are being compared to (the unfiltered cigarettes).

"BOTTOM LINE: Unless you have celiac disease or another type of gluten intolerance or sensitivity (see box above), there’s no reason to avoid wheat. "
    This sentence is true. I just happen to thing that nearly everyone is gluten sensitive to some degree. Some people can tolerate it very well. And what's the arguement *for* wheat precisely? Why do I *need* it in my life?

I agree with their rebbutal of wheat and obesity. I do think that cutting out processed food and caloric drinks is the way people lose weight on paleo/primal/wheatbelly. There's nothing particularly unholy about wheat when it comes to weight gain other than the fact that it's very calorie dense, non-satisfying, and nutrient poor (remind me why I should eat it again?).
    Last edited by magicmerl; 01-09-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    There's nothing particularly unholy about wheat when it comes to weight gain other than the fact that it's very calorie dense, non-satisfying, and nutrient poor (remind me why I should eat it again?).
    When I am talking about my weight loss, I limit my discussion of wheat to this, plus one more thing - so many snack foods, party foods and binge foods contain wheat, that once I got out of the habit of eating wheat, all those tempting diet cheats had much less hold on me. Most people "could never", but every now and then someone is like "oh yeah, every one of my diet derailers includes wheat".
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I think I got a much better understanding of the flaws of that book from this link:
    Wheat Belly | Melissa McEwen on food anthropology, economics, and culture

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    What's to defend about eating Round-Up?
    I feel the same about vegetables
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I just don't understand why people feel the need to put down things they simply won't try. For me going primal has been evidence enough that Gluton does me no favours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast