Thread: A wee experinment page

Richardmac is offline Senior Member

A wee experinment

Primal Fuel
    Happy New Year folks

I hope many of us managed to have a happy festive period full of fun laughter good food, without the guilt.

I also hope the lack of guilt was b/c we all ate loads of good food and arent having to go on fad detox's?!

I am thinking of altering my eating for no other reason than curiosity. I often try new training methods in order to understand movements better before I use them with clients. This goes for food as well. I eat paleo with a litte dairy. I dont really ever drink Tea/coffee (last one of either was about 2 weeks ago and it was decaf) but if I do Id have it with milk. You get the idea.

What I do that flies in the face of alot of Paleo-ers is I eat little and often (about 6 times a day). I can't eat alot in one go (although my wife would disagree with this) and I eat every few hours. This is of course not true Grok style or time efficient.

My idea is to alter this layout. As of next week I will be cycling 10 miles to work (and of course back again) to teach. This will be done on a Monday and Wednesday. I will also be having an indoor rowing practice session on Tuesday and Thursdays. I will be completing two bodyweight workouts as well, on Monday and Thursdays. Long weekend off each week. Here is how I propose to change my food intake.

This is what I ate yesterday (everyday is different):

1. Omelette blueberries, goats cheese and grapes.
    2. Didnt eat for ages as wasnt feeling hungry, then I had sweet potato and chicken.
    3. Two egg omelette (morning omelett is 3 eggs)
    4. Can of tuna with some extra olive oil, balsamic vinegar and bluberries mixed in.
    5. Two pork chops with some soft boiled potatoes and brocolli.
    6. Can of tuna

Now the extra miles on the bike will burn calories, but as I go 10 miles of hill I find them amazing for the legs. Its an amazing sprint cycle (unless theres wind and rain. Then its not so much sprinting haha).

I was wanting to cut meals down to 4 food meals. Two earlier on, two later on and a shake mid day. Like this (using Yesterdays meals as an example):

1. Omelette blueberries, goats cheese and grapes.
    2. Sweet potato and chicken.
    3. Vanilla recovery shake/smoothie. Blueberries etc added. Possibly from Marks smoothie book.
    4. Can of tuna with some extra olive oil, balsamic vinegar and bluberries mixed in.
    5. Two pork chops with some soft boiled potatoes and brocolli.

I also eat a G-bar after training sessions. These are gluten, dairy, wheat etc etc free bars. The one I eat is made from pumpkin and sesame seeds with some honey to bind. About 9g's protein per bar.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I just thought id write it down somewhere. Still shooting for potenitally 10lbs on my frame, but keeping my bodyfat in single digits. Whilst of course improving conditioning.

Richard
    Last edited by Richardmac; 01-09-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Just out of interest...you don't eat many veggies, and those are quite starchy. What's your take on that?

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    I agree with spuggygirl. Any reason you dont have vegetables on your menu?

I dont avoid starch. It is after all very useful as glucose in the body, but I dont eat alot. I do eat some white potatoes and I am trying to get my hands on some platain (to my knowledge like a banana expect lower sugar and more starch) to try in some recipes/snacks.

I usually eat alot of veggies, brocolli, spinach, kale, carrots etc etc but yesterdays sample food intake did not include much. The meal frequency hasnt been changing (something im hoping to change with my experinment) but the meals themselves do. So to answer your question, I usually eat a lot of them (I just ate a great beef sausage caserole with a tonne of veggies in it).

Richard
    Last edited by Richardmac; 01-09-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

A question out of curiosity than anything else. What are some of your favourite sources of yummy fat?

Richard

PhiPsiJB is offline Junior Member
    Richardmac: Overall I think your meal distribution looks solid, particularly given the amount of activity you'll be doing. One thing you may want to consider is the book The Paleo Diet for Athletes. There are a couple recommendations I struggle with but overall I think the book is great. I used its plan for my Ironman a few years ago and it worked wonders...I felt great from the inside out.

As a note, I think a revised edition was recently released. I'm not too sure what has been revised but I'm sure the bulk of the content is the same.

In case you're curious, here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: Five-egg omelette (two full eggs, three egg whites) with various veggies; chicken sausage; sweet potato

Lunch: Pork chop; broccoli; apple

Lunch #2: Ground turkey; peas; crushed tomatoes

Dinner: Chicken breast; broccoli; kale and spinach salad; white rice

Extras/snacks: PWO protein shake; mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc.); LaraBar

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    A question out of curiosity than anything else. What are some of your favourite sources of yummy fat?

Richard
    Avocados by far...sometimes I'll just take one, slice it up, and throw it on top of whatever I'm eating. Never seems to disappoint.

Then there's homemade guacamole, which is not only easy to make but fun to tweak for new flavors.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    +1 for avocado. Yumm!

Im more of an olive oil man. I could have a couple tea spoons thrown over most things.

Well im a coupl of days into the experinment. Alot more hunger than I am used to. I think my blood sugar has been fairly stable but I am physically used to eating more. I tried a secondary experinment in the form of making a homemade shake (with no powder). Didnt go so well (I could tell you what was in it - all paleo, but you'd gag just hearing it haha). Im trying 4-5 larger meals instead of 6 small-medium ones. Trying to stick with 4 but only if they are a little larger.

Still wanting to hear your fave fat sources.

Richard

thefoxfoy is offline Junior Member
    good idea,Im trying 4-5 larger meals instead of 6 small-medium ones. Trying to stick with 4 but only if they are a little larger.