Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did going primal make you want to quit your job? page

SarahChzBurg is offline Junior Member

Did going primal make you want to quit your job?

Primal Fuel
    Ever since going primal, I have REALLY wanted to leave my job! I sit at a desk all day! While my job can be fairly challenging/exciting, it doesn't make up for the fact that I'd rather be home playing, cooking and exercising...does anyone else feel like this?

I have 45 minute commute each way, and many days I only get to see my daughter for 30 minutes (she's 9 months and goes to bed at 6 p.m.!) I think partly I just miss her...but does anyone have words of wisdom? We aren't in a place, financially, for me to stay at home right now. But I want to work towards it!

Obviously Grok didn't work in an office, so I don't want to either! But Grok also didn't have to pay rent/mortgage or pay for his grass fed meats...such is life.
    Sarah
    Primal on a budget in Sugar Land, TX
    SarahChzBurg's Primal Journal

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I didn't so much want to quit my job (I love what I do) as not hafta commute so far and work for a company that did my preferred specialty andweren't a bunch of ***holes. After being laid off twice, and fired for being overqualified once, I found a job I'm happy at. 7-15 min commute; I could bike if I really needed to; and I love the work.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i originally wanted to quit my job. well, i wanted to switch to something like hiking guide, forest ranger, or something that got me moving out in the woods. but, i found a different desk job that i really love and can incorporate a lot of primal aspects except for the exercise bits. i'm friends with the other five professionals in my office, have a moderate sized, tight-knit staff that i laugh and use my brain with, i have a ton of freedom and autonomy, and if i feel like breaking my fast our dining halls (i work at a college) have tons of paleo-ish options...so i'm still hitting some major points.
    a shorter commute would be nice though.

i'm actually really happy i didn't find a job that involved any of my favorite hobbies, like hiking; i don't want to see hiking as work, or i might not like it as much. that's not the same as being a stay at home mom...but i think it's related. i hear from a lot of people who have tried working and staying home, and they seem to appreciate the time with their children more when it's broken up by work.
    i can see how you would be missing your daughter though. looks like you hardly get to see her at all after work.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I have work that's more flexible now and fulfills a lot of the "use your brain" part of primal, so I feel pretty satisfied. If I had a normal desk job like I did before, I'd feel less satisfied, but with my job I can take my laptop outside and work, go wander in the park and do some planning in my head while I walk, and so on. I'm not tied to one place or one environment, so despite the fact that I still spend a lot of time with my computer, I feel like I have much more freedom.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jakey is offline Senior Member
    no, it's my alarm clock that makes me want to quit. it's my rent & whole foods habit that keeps my coming back.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    This pretend life is, and always has been, total crap. I play the games to get good food and a place to live. But I'm not grateful to be employed, it makes me angry that I'm expected to perform an odd function in exchange for the right to obtain goods. Western civilization is completely bass-ackwards, it creates lifestyles out of the thin margin of surplus goods and profits which only a few can mathematically enjoy to any degree, but sets a high standard of life for all the slaves down here at the bottom. We're forced to try and try and try and create a make believe life that we never get to live because the house just sits here empty with nobody in it while we work out butts off and try too hard to impress our overlords in hopes we won't get fired the next time there's a big layoff. I knew it was a stupid game in junior high. I refused to play it for many years. But I couldn't get laid being all obese and greasy and drunk, etc., so I cleaned up and met my wife, and to this day we enjoy a life of relative celibacy - a sort of slap in the face, a "here's what you get for even trying to do this the right way". Whoever the cruel puppetmaster is, there is no love in him. He wants to see us hurting, lost and dying - no matter how honest or crooked we are. Go ahead and keep doing the right thing. It will bite you again and again and laugh while you bleed. All that becoming strong and overcoming opposition nonsense is what the rich people sell us so we can be eternally subservient. "Be grateful master gives you crumbs." and "Yes, that hurts, but you'll soon develop insensitive, dead callouses there and then you can carry me around on these poles all day long without stopping while I throw darts into your back for fun." come to mind. WHAT ARE WE DOING?! WHY ARE WE STILL PRETENDING THIS IS REAL?!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill you just made my day, love it!

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill, you might like Antonio Gramsci, the founder of the Italian Communist Party. He was jailed by Mussolini and wrote about "cultural hegemony".

In Marxist philosophy, cultural hegemony describes the domination of a culturally diverse society by the ruling class, who manipulate the culture of the society — the beliefs, explanations, perceptions, values, and mores — so that their ruling-class Weltanschauung becomes the worldview that is imposed and accepted as the cultural norm; as the universally valid dominant ideology that justifies the social, political, and economic status quo as natural and inevitable, perpetual and beneficial for everyone, rather than as artificial social constructs that benefit only the ruling class.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I don't mind my flexible job... I'm lucky to have a boss who "gets it" - we both like to use our brains, keep our bodies healthy, and not do pointless things (well, aside from the argument that it's ALL pointless - we don't like to use unnecessary energy or cause unnecessary stress in the workplace).

I often bike to the office the weather's suitable, but I get to work from home a lot - I'll sit on the exercise ball, walk around my apt., sometimes do sets of weights with my sweetie between odd-jobs for work.

If work is making you miserable, look for a new job. closer to home, better for your needs, etc. Don't quit your current job until you have a new one lined up. In the mean time, see if you can bring your wee one into work (my mother did this in the 80's, but I was a pretty mellow kid - didn't cry much, and she had her own office.) - not sure what kind of work you do, but if you're at a computer, I don't see any reason you can't be at a computer with the kiddo in an ergo-baby or moby wrap type thing (as long as you wouldn't be interacting with lots of customers or others that would have a problem with a baby strapped to your chest).

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Knifegill, you might like Antonio Gramsci, the founder of the Italian Communist Party. He was jailed by Mussolini and wrote about "cultural hegemony".

In Marxist philosophy, cultural hegemony describes the domination of a culturally diverse society by the ruling class, who manipulate the culture of the society — the beliefs, explanations, perceptions, values, and mores — so that their ruling-class Weltanschauung becomes the worldview that is imposed and accepted as the cultural norm; as the universally valid dominant ideology that justifies the social, political, and economic status quo as natural and inevitable, perpetual and beneficial for everyone, rather than as artificial social constructs that benefit only the ruling class.
    Sounds about right. That's what's been going on as long as I've been in America. Celebration of toxicity and shrines to irresponsibility litter the path, mirrored alongside the virtual inability to become educated about said toxins and the inevitable death of any dream to find happiness by way of honesty and responsible living - fitting into each other too nicely to be accidental pieces.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast