Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did going primal make you want to quit your job? page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    This pretend life is, and always has been, total crap. I play the games to get good food and a place to live. But I'm not grateful to be employed, it makes me angry that I'm expected to perform an odd function in exchange for the right to obtain goods. Western civilization is completely bass-ackwards, it creates lifestyles out of the thin margin of surplus goods and profits which only a few can mathematically enjoy to any degree, but sets a high standard of life for all the slaves down here at the bottom. We're forced to try and try and try and create a make believe life that we never get to live because the house just sits here empty with nobody in it while we work out butts off and try too hard to impress our overlords in hopes we won't get fired the next time there's a big layoff. I knew it was a stupid game in junior high. I refused to play it for many years. But I couldn't get laid being all obese and greasy and drunk, etc., so I cleaned up and met my wife, and to this day we enjoy a life of relative celibacy - a sort of slap in the face, a "here's what you get for even trying to do this the right way". Whoever the cruel puppetmaster is, there is no love in him. He wants to see us hurting, lost and dying - no matter how honest or crooked we are. Go ahead and keep doing the right thing. It will bite you again and again and laugh while you bleed. All that becoming strong and overcoming opposition nonsense is what the rich people sell us so we can be eternally subservient. "Be grateful master gives you crumbs." and "Yes, that hurts, but you'll soon develop insensitive, dead callouses there and then you can carry me around on these poles all day long without stopping while I throw darts into your back for fun." come to mind. WHAT ARE WE DOING?! WHY ARE WE STILL PRETENDING THIS IS REAL?!
    I am reading this article. It reminded me of you.
    Dark Ecology | Paul Kingsnorth | Orion Magazine
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Definitely made me question my status in life and all of that. I enjoy nature, but I'm not opposed to the lifestyle I currently have (ridin' dat desk) for the time being. I take a 45 min train where I generally don't do anything productive but I try to get most of my social networky shit out of the way by checking facebook and instagram mostly (hey, those filters are nice...) and reading some blogs, which I guess is somewhat productive. On the ride back I do one of two things, sleep or read... or play games on my phone. Mostly I read though.

My job involves writing and researching, so I do that most of the day. My office is very quiet, but a group of us like to jump on gchat and group chat most of the day which makes the workday seem somewhat sociable, we also get together to eat and take outside breaks every now and then.

I stand half the day (for the OP, is this something you could do?) usually when I walk in till around 1pm when I eat lunch. Sometimes though, I just sit all day, but I do make an effort to stand up most of the time.

My job also has the perk that I can work from home, they have a lot of remote workers in other states so I take advantage of that once or sometimes twice a week. If you're able to commute in they prefer people do that, so I don't like to take advantage and interestingly, working from home is not as enjoyable as it may sound so I like to keep it to one to two days a week max. Those days are the ones where I get in longer home-based workouts or try to cook bigger meals since I have extra time.

The job I had when I first went primal though is a different story. I was basically chained to my desk and hated the work, so yeah I wanted to quit, but only because the job sucked.

Lastly, while grok certainly didn't have to do a lot of the shit we "have" to do, I would never want to live grok's life. I enjoy how our lives are now to a certain degree, though I think we could have stopped getting so technologically advanced a long time ago. Part of me thinks this is exactly what we as humans are supposed to do though, slowly take over everything until we die and then the earth will reclaim the world once again... and then we'll evolve and do it all over again. I used to get down about the way the world is going and the lives we "have" to live, but if you notice, this has been in motion for a long long looong time which leads me to believe that it's really just the natural order of things.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I love my job.

That being said, accepting paleo/primal/whole30/minimalism/purposeful living into my life has made me regret some of the time I spend here.

I often long for time to browse farmer's markets, or spend outside during the day, or more time for cooking, more time for playing.

I have very little "free" time in that I have a lot of commitments scheduled (most of which I enjoy) that leave very little time for exercise, nature, and cooking. If I could work 2-4 hours less each day, or perhaps even 1 day less a week, I would feel much freer.

Additionally, my job/company is not one that is going to change the world in any meaningful way. I work in the video game industry. I love video games but I would rather be working for a non profit. :3

I don't know how to ever do that though. Life is what it is, and I require an income to pay for, at basic, food and shelter. I also of course have car payment, insurances, cell phone, video game sub, etc.

MuuMuu is offline Member
    My job is so incredibly stressful I wish I could quit all the time. The only thing I've become grateful for since I've changed my lifestyle is that I'm moving and standing almost the entire 8 hrs. I'm there. I have to sprint sometimes and I lift a lotta heavy things...of course those "things" I'm lifting are people, some of whom are very heavy indeed.

I'm a nurse in a nursing home and quite frankly it sucks. I started going in to more detail but I'll just leave it at that. I feel the stress hormones hitting my system just thinking about work on my days off. I can't enjoy my days off because I'm worrying about work and dreading having to go back. I'm in flight or fight mode the whole shift. I have many more hours of tasks to complete than the 8 hrs I'm given to complete them.

I like my job, and it leaves me time for adequate play, personal time etc. But I live in a very northerly clime, and right now I basically spend all daylight hours inside. And that pisses me off. No amount of vitamin D supplementation will ever make me less pissed off about that. Come June, though, my life will be straight-up awesome.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Just the opposite for me. I'm on holidays cos I'm a school cleaner (our summer vacation here, thank goodness. It's been getting close to 40*C most days). But I'm putting on weight cos even though my job isn't one of the best, it's physical enough to keep my weight down to where I want it.

seng is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    wow! knifegill.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123