Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did going primal make you want to quit your job? page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm really lucky to have a job at a beautiful university on the beach. I take walks near the beach at lunch sometimes (the actual beach coats your feet with tar so I usually don't go on the beach unless it's a really low tide and the beach has no tar). I ride my bike to work in warmer months. There's an awesome bike path that's really pleasant and full of nature and it's a joy to ride to work. There's a gym on campus and a track where I can do sprints. I can also just walk around campus and be in the presence of beautiful architecture and interesting trees. Birdwatchers can sometimes be seen on campus so I look to see what they are looking at. There's a wetlands nearby along with the ocean so there are just so many interesting birds to see. They treat me nicely at work and I even have my own office, although there is no heat and it's freezing and I have to use the same bathroom as all the students and now I'm sick, probably thanks to the students.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Not my job (although that can be boring sometimes) so much as my college classes. Some semesters my class schedule is set up so that I am sitting down for 8+ hours a couple days a week with minimal time to get up and walk or stretch, plus my head is constantly tilted down to take notes and it is really causing me some issues with my neck and overall posture. I hate the days I'm stuck sitting in a classroom all day, especially when the weather is nice.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    I think there is real value from a primal point of view, in trying to minimise your costs and outgoings so as not to have to work so much or so hard.

I am sure ancient people did not work for the sake of it. I am sure their working day was finely honed, for minimum necessary consumption requiring minimum effort and exertion.

I am sure this will prove no problem to all the people here who are quite used to flying in the face of mainstream society!

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    I dont have a boss, my commute is 10 steps out the front door and I work with dogs all day....most of who are nice as are their owners and hubby works with me... I think im good
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Jer37208 is offline Member
    As a chef, I guess I'm pretty lucky in feeling primal about my job. Nothing like sharpening my knives and helping my prep cooks knock down half a cow for steak.
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

SarahChzBurg is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    no, it's my alarm clock that makes me want to quit. it's my rent & whole foods habit that keeps my coming back.
    So true. Good points to everyone! Knifegill...I'm scared.

I'm hoping that in a few years I can stay home but also be a childbirth educator and perhaps a doula, as that's where my passion lies. Not much money in it!
    Sarah
    Primal on a budget in Sugar Land, TX
    SarahChzBurg's Primal Journal

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I'm a WAHM with two young kids, but I left my "real" job long before I went Primal. I was tired of the grind. Tired of meeting deadlines. Tired of working hard just to make someone else money. I felt exhausted every day, and I didn't even have kids at that point!

Leaving my "real" job was the best decision of my life, mostly because I hated my work. Now I do what I love on my own terms. Nothing could be better, even if the work I do is still a desk job (I'm a writer).

It's a worthwhile goal to pursue a career you love, even if it means financially struggling for a while, and especially if it means spending time with your kids. While there are working moms who need the break from their children that a job provides, some moms crave more time with their children. If that's your situation, then start taking steps now to make that happen. Maybe it's as simple as looking for a job with a shorter commute. Perhaps it's starting classes to work toward your doula certification. Or maybe it's just making cuts to your budget now so you're prepared for a future with a lower income.

Whatever your choice, I wish you the best. Balancing a career, kids, husband, and life is never an easy trick. But don't worry... you'll find a way!
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

jllundqu is offline Member
    I feel that way often. I spend most of my day at a desk too, although there are days when I get to track a scumback down, cuff him, and drag his sorry butt before the US Magistrate on felony charges, but those days a few and far between.

Humans did not evolve for the civilization we have today... it's in our spirit, our DNA, to have a fire and not turn on a light. It's in our spirit to move and not be still. It's in our spirit to find and not buy our food, whether its foraging or hunting...

I have committed to living primal as much as this culture and society will permit. My only refuge is leavin the city once in a while to do 'survivorman' camping trips where we spend four days on the mountain with only a good knife, some water, and a poncho. We find/hunt/trap our food, build our own shelter, and make our own fires. This annual trip sustains my primal spirit for many moons...
    Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
    CW- 179.8 lbs
    Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    I think there is real value from a primal point of view, in trying to minimise your costs and outgoings so as not to have to work so much or so hard.

I am sure ancient people did not work for the sake of it. I am sure their working day was finely honed, for minimum necessary consumption requiring minimum effort and exertion.
    +1

This is basically what I did. I was living in NYC (where I grew up), making pretty good money, but with a very stressful job that had long hours. When my health started declining, I made some really tough choices: move to a much more affordable city where the cost of living was dirt cheap and swap out my well-paying job for low-stress part-time work. I've always been a frugal person, so there wasn't much waste to cut.

Now that I'm used to living with less money and more time to do what I love and to take care of myself, I could never imagine going back to how it used to be. Sometimes change really is within reach, but we convince ourselves otherwise.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I feel that way often. I spend most of my day at a desk too, although there are days when I get to track a scumback down, cuff him, and drag his sorry butt before the US Magistrate on felony charges, but those days a few and far between.
    I thought you looked familiar!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast