Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tara Goes Primal en España.. page 4

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    I have been doing primal for almost 3 years. Doing very well for someone 70 in 3 weeks. I drink decaf coffee. Don't know how easy it is to get it in Spain. Coffee has tons of antioxidants. Mark drinks regular coffee daily. No need to cut it out unless it is actually bothering you.

Honey is still sugar. Maybe slightly better than white sugar. It is still sugar. Coffee with cream is more primal.

Mark and I also drink red wine more or less daily. No need to cut that out either if you can handle it.
    To be honest I dont think coffee with cream is more primal at all. Considering that primal living is supposed to be a choice and an attempt for us to live as closely as possible when trying to mimic the eating, drinking habits of our paleolithic ancestors (how paleo depends on the individual of course) I dont think they would have had cream. I do however think there is a far greater possibility that like our primate cousins they may have eaten honey taken straight from the tree.

That aside I would stress that if you know where your honey is sourced form (not a large supermarkets discount own brand filled with preservatives and a tonne of sugar - but a local producer from a farmers market etc with essentially only honey in it) then it is a healthier choice. Both options should serve as a morning wake up for those who struggle to get up.

The honey though (unlike the coffee) will also kick start your metabolism which the coffee wont really do. The honey will also aid your immune system, help with reduction in ulcers and gastro intestinal issues as well as reducing the chances of heart disease and some cancers due to the presence of flavonoids and antioxidants.
    The lemon will fight against infection (as will other citrus fruits) through the production of antibodies in the blood. It will also lower blood pressure and increases the levels good cholesterol, it is anti-carcinogenic which lower the rates of colon, prostate, and breast cancer. I could go on for ages.

Coffee, although popular, is an addictive stimulant. It is not very different from coke and other soft drinks, as well as alcohol and many chocolates. They are all diuretics. Simply put, what they do is upset the bodies water balance. Essentially confusing your kidneys which forces them to secrete more Urin. Making you feel thirsty and dehydrating you. This naturally inhibits performance of mind and body. Poor performance or ability to carry out tasks, does not a happy Grok make. I have worked with people who tried to come off coffee/similar caffienated drinks cold turkey resulting in headaches (similar to what many people experience when they first go primal - it is a kin to a carb flu). Its similarity in side effects to removing carbs is because it is to the body the same sort of product. Both are toxins to the body altering the bodys chemical balance (hence the caffeine buzz people long for first thing in the morning) that does not sound like a product our bodies should be consuming on a regular basis. Like alcohol, a cup a day might be good for you because of the few antioxidant properties, but compared to the alternatives one cup of coffee a day is not as good for you as no cups of coffee.

On the subject of drinking red wine. It is true one glass a day is said to be good for you. This is however CW. I am not saying the claim of its health benifits are false, but the truth of these health benifits are only really true when it is compared to other alcoholic beverages that you could choose from. One glass of red wine a day is better for you than one glass of white (etc), but it is not as good for you as no glasses of red wine a day. If however you wish to drink it for your enjoyment then that is another issue entirely.

I have put many clients down this path and with amazing results. The lack of dehydration alone from removing the diuretic drinks has hugely incresed performance, mental agility etc. This increased performance has shown at work and at play. The honey and lemon (as well as some other herbal teas) has staved off cravings of sugar and aided in considerable weight losses to date. Each to their own though.

TaraMae

You are doing really well, and think the lack of weight loss is due more to your body aclimatising to your new eating than to anything else. Beginning a more primal workout routine is a great idea. I would also reassess what you are eating. You need to try out what works for you with regards how many meals etc you eat a day. I would up your fat intake quite a bit. I now have a table spoonfull of extra virgin olive oil once or twice a day. between meals.
    Each spoon full contains 120 calories of amazing fat. 75% of this fat is monosaturated. No other fat source (from oil) gets close to that. The next best sits at only 55% mono fat.

Richard
    Last edited by Richardmac; 01-17-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Richard: You are talking about your version of paleo not primal. Primal is what Mark says it is, no more, no less.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

TaraMae is offline Member
    hmmm... it seems to me that from what I've read in the forums, coffee and honey are sticky subjects. To be completely honest, at this point I'm still quite a fan of both. Luckily, it doesn't seem that I'm addicted as I can go through my day with no negative side effects without coffee, but I usually partake because of social implications. For example, my cup at breakfast was at my English lesson with the other 2 girls, and the second shot of java was with my mom and dad before I left to go to night class. A switch-up to decaf should be an easy step to take. The other days when I had "Honey-lemon-magic" at breakfast I dubbed it as such for a reason.. it's delicious and beneficial! Yupi! So, as far as I'm concerned, long live las dos. )
    Thanks everyone for all the encoragement on here, if it weren't for this journal and everyone's knowledge/support I'm not certain I would be having such success or ganas de continuar (despite my hiccups some areas such as working out and eating more veggies and fat and cutting down on fruit!). Primal/paleo mates are the best, when I read the comments I feel like you all genuinely want me to succeed. ¡¡Gracias!!

Day 9 (I think I scooped myself out of the rough patch.. not sure yet though..)
    B: café con leche
    L: handful of almends, half a mini banana (about the length of my index finger)
    en la uni: GIANT green apple and tea with milk
    D: 5 big meatballs, in a onion white wine and laurel sauce, and square-cut fried potatos
    P: Greek yogurt, more almends

IDK if today was a "success" persay, but I didn't feel hungry during the day so I didn't eat too much. Lots for dinner but NBD. Still craving chocolate. Plotting to make banana pancakes with cinnamon tomorrow morning.. I know fruits are supposed to be a "sometimes" food, but I absolutely love them.. maybe with some nuts mixed in. Yummi! Thanks, Richard, I'm trying not to get discouraged by the lack of visable results just yet. Definitely going to try to add more fat to my diet (it just still seems so counter-intuitive for me! Little by little I will really believe in this.. haha). There is ALWAYS plenty of olive oil around here, so that´s a good idea.. also, how about this jamón for some more fat?
    DSC08463.jpgDSC08454.jpg

Yoga was... interesting. Nothing I'm used to, and I don't know what I was expecting it to be, but it was good I think. I'm going to try it out again on Monday and Thursday next week, then it's decision time. I think it will be better once I learn the poses, so I don't have to be mid-pose, focusing on my breathing, and trying to see the instructor all at once (can be painful/frustrating). ¡Kochii, tengo que preguntarle como se hace el saludo al sol!! Today didn't seem very strenuous, but it definitely made me more self-aware, like I really thought about my body in a way I normally do not. I was very relaxed after the session.

Also, today is Day 1 of not wearing any makeup and not washing my face with chemicals. At first I was embarrassed to go into the classroom, but after a few minutes I forgot I wasn't wearing any, and everything was fine. Still have to do more research about using oil to get rid of my spots! :/

Anyway, I was going to watch a movie, but it's getting late and Grok needs sleep.. ¡buenas noches!
    Last edited by TaraMae; 01-17-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added pics of my beloved pig leg ;)
    newwwwbieeeee...
    any suggestions/corrections/ideas/encouragement you have for me are welcome and appreciated!

que tonta soy.. :(

I thought I was doing pretty well.

SO THEN, last night I come home from school pretty hungry because I hadn't eaten much during the day. Mom made meatballs. Okay. Well, I don't eat bread, wheat, oats, none of that stuff.. and right away I notice the gravy sauce looks a little thick like it has flour in it. SO I ask her, "Mom, does the sauce have flour in it?" She says, "No te preocupes, just onion and white wine and laurel.." *She KNOWS that I am avoiding bread and such*
    I eat 5 meatballs.. but no biggie because it's meat and onion, right?!

Later that night, farting up a storm and feeling really yucky.. I realized something was off.
    It's my own fault for not directly asking of course, but DUH, TARA, meatballs have BREADING. Idiota.
    So, because it was late at night and I couldn't sleep, I left her a note asking if there was bread in the meatballs and asked her to circle yes or no. Maybe that was childish, but I honestly wanted to know.. and she goes to work early in the morning.
    She circled yes and added a note with how much was in them ("muy poco" > very little)..
    Doesn't matter--when it comes to breading, I don't want ANY. I would have rather just fasted than eaten the meatballs!
    DSC08465.jpg
    So 9 days down the drain like that. Cried pretty hard this morning because I hate that I feel like Mom tricked me (although she respects my decisions, she is a doctor and tells me everyday that bread is good for me and I shouldn't avoid it, that there are other ways to lose weight) ...I really *don't* think she did it on purpose, rather I think she just let it happen because I was too stupid to ask her about the ingredients directly, but still it is really frustrating.
    And I keep farting smelly farts and everytime it reminds me of those stupid meatballs, making it harder for me to just let it go and move on. (I guess that part is sort of funny.. lol)

Thanks guys in advance for letting me vent on here. ::deep sigh::

SO, here we go again...
    DAY 1
    Breakfast: Coffee made by Dad.. he wanted to cheer me up because he saw I had 'ojos llorosos' (although I didn't reveal the reason why, let's be real although I'm disappointed, I'm not a brat like that.. I mean c´mon, she made dinner! That's so sweet.. she's an awesome mom and I'm so thankful, it's just disappointing when you're on roll and then fall off the wagon for a something so silly).

Anyone else feel this way before? (Also I'm probably a bit sensitive because la regla should be just around the corner..) Any advice about what I should eat today? (or should I fast?)
    Last edited by TaraMae; 01-18-2013 at 01:22 AM.
    newwwwbieeeee...
    any suggestions/corrections/ideas/encouragement you have for me are welcome and appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Richard: You are talking about your version of paleo not primal. Primal is what Mark says it is, no more, no less.
    A lot of this way of life is of course personal eg one person may like bacon, another buffalo etc.

I don't however consider it my version of paleo/primal to say that coffee with cream is not more primal than honey (especially in an almost raw form liquid or comb). I would call it a little strange to think of a Grok type person consuming cream. Or eating cocoa beans for that matter. Grok may have eaten fermented fruit giving him what could be deemed to be a similar physical chemical reaction to what we can experience from alcohol, but done on a daily basis..i doubt it (though one can never be certain).

Mark is a highly educated man and his writing is insightful and forward thinking. He is a bright man who gives off absolutely no vibes of arrogance what so ever. With that in mind i would not for one second think that mark would say that "primal is what mark says it is. No more, no less" Here is an article on honey from this website from the man himself http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-ho...#axzz2IJyjPCll .... You will see it references actual 6000 year old cave paintings of people harvesting honey. Im not sure the same is true of coffee, and cream.

There are countless primal websites on the web. A search for primal living actually brings up two other sites before a link to marks, and three before taking you to the marks daily apple homepage.
    Primal is a word used by mark to convey what is essentially a paleo lifestyle (since there are no significant differences in the approach, only in the interpretation).

Marks choice to have a drink of coffee or red wine is not a primal one, but a personal one. He Says he enjoys it, that is why he has it. It certainly isn't written as a primal mainstay.... More something that could be consumed in conjunction with a primal way of life.

I think the teachings of any one individual should not be adhered to a rigorous doctrine, more as starting points to help you on your way. Mark himself does not just post his own writing, but the writing and teachings of others. He is open to learning from others, on a daily basis. I think that is a sensible approach to anything we do.

We will likely never agree, but then again wouldn't it be a boring world if we all agreed all the time. Heres to not agreeing, and to always learning.

Happy birthday when it comes.

Richard
    Last edited by Richardmac; 01-18-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by TaraMae View Post
    I thought I was doing pretty well.

SO THEN, last night I come home from school pretty hungry because I hadn't eaten much during the day. Mom made meatballs. Okay. Well, I don't eat bread, wheat, oats, none of that stuff.. and right away I notice the gravy sauce looks a little thick like it has flour in it. SO I ask her, "Mom, does the sauce have flour in it?" She says, "No te preocupes, just onion and white wine and laurel.." *She KNOWS that I am avoiding bread and such*
    I eat 5 meatballs.. but no biggie because it's meat and onion, right?!

Later that night, farting up a storm and feeling really yucky.. I realized something was off.
    It's my own fault for not directly asking of course, but DUH, TARA, meatballs have BREADING. Idiota.
    So, because it was late at night and I couldn't sleep, I left her a note asking if there was bread in the meatballs and asked her to circle yes or no. Maybe that was childish, but I honestly wanted to know.. and she goes to work early in the morning.
    She circled yes and added a note with how much was in them ("muy poco" > very little)..
    Doesn't matter--when it comes to breading, I don't want ANY. I would have rather just fasted than eaten the meatballs!
    DSC08465.jpg
    So 9 days down the drain like that. Cried pretty hard this morning because I hate that I feel like Mom tricked me (although she respects my decisions, she is a doctor and tells me everyday that bread is good for me and I shouldn't avoid it, that there are other ways to lose weight) ...I really *don't* think she did it on purpose, rather I think she just let it happen because I was too stupid to ask her about the ingredients directly, but still it is really frustrating.
    And I keep farting smelly farts and everytime it reminds me of those stupid meatballs, making it harder for me to just let it go and move on. (I guess that part is sort of funny.. lol)

Thanks guys in advance for letting me vent on here. ::deep sigh::

SO, here we go again...
    DAY 1
    Breakfast: Coffee made by Dad.. he wanted to cheer me up because he saw I had 'ojos llorosos' (although I didn't reveal the reason why, let's be real although I'm disappointed, I'm not a brat like that.. I mean c´mon, she made dinner! That's so sweet.. she's an awesome mom and I'm so thankful, it's just disappointing when you're on roll and then fall off the wagon for a something so silly).

Anyone else feel this way before? (Also I'm probably a bit sensitive because la regla should be just around the corner..) Any advice about what I should eat today? (or should I fast?)
    Dont fast. You shouldnt associate fasting with a punishment. You ate one plate of food that contained some breading. That doesnt constitute a fast for a day. You ate bread for years, that didnt mean you fasted for years to compemnsate. Just get back on track, get some exercise, drink plenty of water and you'll be good as new.

You are doing really well. How was Yoga?

Richard

I used this breakdown to eat my chocolate. Surprisingly, I stopped after one piece. And it was delicious.

Then, I signed on here to log the chocolate, and read this:
    Dont fast. You shouldnt associate fasting with a punishment. You ate one plate of food that contained some breading. That doesnt constitute a fast for a day. You ate bread for years, that didnt mean you fasted for years to compemnsate. Just get back on track, get some exercise, drink plenty of water and you'll be good as new.

You are doing really well. How was Yoga?

Richard
    ::smiles:: thanks, Richard. I made myself some banana pancakes with an egg and a small banana... MMmm they tasted SO good fried in olive oil, nice and thin. Perfect, really. I feel so much better now, and you're right.. just gotta pick myself up and get back on track. Perhaps I was being a bit dramatic..

Yoga was okay, honestly though, it was even slower than I expected.. I was a bit frustrated because I was trying to learn the poses by watching those around me and the instructor, but I think I was doing something wrong because my neck is a little bit sore today when I tip my chin to my chest. Hmm. But, I'm giving it another go on Monday and Thursday next week. Then I have to decide if I'll put up the 103 Euro for 3 months.

I think now I just need to breathe, take a walk into town (despite the rain), and drink some water. Mom's coming home early from the hospi today, so maybe we can have a loving heart-to-heart about my diet over some yummy fish for lunch. I'll let you all know how it goes ...
    newwwwbieeeee...

Lunch with Mom was fine.. we didn't talk about my diet but I think we have an understanding.
    Today/tonight I'm not recording my food.. I'll start over again tomorrow.
    Buenas noches a todos.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TaraMae View Post
    Envidiaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Echo de menos el jamon serrano. No se si se puede enviar por correo...
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Okay.. crawling out of my hole.. back to recording. Otherwise I tend to do well all day, then ruin my progress at night with snacking. :/ Also, I went out with the girls last night and had chocolate con churros. No bueno.

Day 1 (again) (I promise this "re-do" thing won't become a trend..)
    Té de miel, limón, y canela
    Platano y huevo revuelto (banana pancakes) fried in butter
    newwwwbieeeee...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast