Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has Al Roker gone Primal? Sure sounds like it! page 2

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Hmm.... the Lustig interview is very good. Unfortunately, the stress is all on sugar. Dr. Lustig briefly says that potato chips and French Fries are bad too, but then all the talk turns to sugar or corn syrup. Nobody seems to want to talk about the concept that ANY wheat or corn becomes sugar in the bloodstream too, in fact they are worse than sugar. No one is giving up entire food groups.

It's a step in the right direction, but I think we're going to be stuck with healthy CW for a while.
    Lustig is focused on fructose's effects on metabolic syndrome and obesity The Skinny on Obesity - UCTV Prime - UCTV - University of California Television

He's given talks at Ancestrial Health Symposiums
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Meeshar, it's okay, debate is good!

I don't take "whole, unprocessed foods" as evidence of Primal/Paleo.

The only evidence of primal/paleo from the Today Show blip was the phrase "low carb." What do they mean by "low?" For Primals, "regular" is under ~125g, "very low" is under 50g. For CW, "low" must be on par with Primal regular of ~125g, right? That's not far from Insidious Weight Gain, especially for a guy who's 5'8".

I agree with you on the extra skin. I couldn't tell from the video what his exact shape is.

I found some recipes from Al's book. (goodreads.com, then click on the tiny Google Preview, scroll down.) OK, the recipes are generally primal, but they aren't high fat. Chicken breast, and very little butter, no mention of coconut oil. Also, is the one primal dish ALL he's having for dinner? ISTM that someone could read his book, make his awesome low-carb recipe, and then ruin the whole thing by putting down a "whole unprocessed" heart-healthy whole wheat roll for the Bread Group. If Al were Primal, his recipe section would have made a point about No Bread Group Ever, in really big print. If he didn't do that, then he's a lousy Primal.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Can we stop trying to pin down whether he is specifically "paleo", and simply enjoy the fact that he said he's eating whole unprocessed foods, limiting carbs, and doing short strength training?

I think we're all missing the big picture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12