Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are raw veggies bad for you? page

cruncan is offline Member

Are raw veggies bad for you?

What's your thoughts? Recently I started making raw veggie shakes and now I'm sick. Do you think it's the RAW veggies are making me sick? Should I cook them?
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

http://www.hustleformuscle.com

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Raw veggies are good for you but it takes a while for your digestive system to adjust if you increase how much veg you are eating. Both cooked and raw veggies have their place. Eat a balance of them.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    What are you putting in your shakes? Do you feel sick when you eat a salad or veggies individually that are not in shake form? It might be some of the other consituents in your shake aside from the veggies that could be making you sick. I know for some people with digestive issues raw veggies can be a problem especially if they are cruciferous or nightshades. More information on exactly what you are putting in your shakes would be helpful.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    If I eat raw veggies it gives me massive digestive problems. I can deal with one raw carrot, but that's about it!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I'm fine on and love raw veggies. We just got our juicer today, so we're looking forward to adding that to our routine.

Right now, breakfast is steamed veg plus eggs and butter (sometimes "supplemental meat" as DH calls it), and then dinner is meat and BAS or other fresh veg (sometimes steamed). Once a week, we do roasted sweet potato.

Once we get the juicer up and running, we'll be doing green drink (lots of greens like kale, chard, and other deep greens plus mint and parsley plus lemon and a smidge of honey (until we get used to the all-greens plus lemon, I guess) with our eggs (and possible supplemental meats), and then dinner will be the same.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    No. Raw veggies are fine. Just because you have a bad reaction to them does not mean they are bad for you.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Especially if you "juice" them. You get a concentrated dose of antinutrients and PUFA

Greens should always be throughly cooked if you're eating them at all(they're really not necessary)
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    btw how on earth can people tolerate green juices, so yucky
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Raw veggies gave me cancer.

cruncan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    What are you putting in your shakes? Do you feel sick when you eat a salad or veggies individually that are not in shake form? It might be some of the other consituents in your shake aside from the veggies that could be making you sick. I know for some people with digestive issues raw veggies can be a problem especially if they are cruciferous or nightshades. More information on exactly what you are putting in your shakes would be helpful.
    My shakes consisted of water, spinach, broccoli, collard greens, carrots, 1/4 apple, 1/2 banana, 1 kiwi, 1/4 bell pepper and parsley. I do not get sick eating salads and I do not have digestive issues that I know of.
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

http://www.hustleformuscle.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast