Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are raw veggies bad for you? page 2

Owly is offline Senior Member
    It might just be the large volume of veggies you can consume at once in a shake as compared to as a salad. If you look at the contents of your smoothie, you'd be hard pressed to consume all that produce as quickly as you can a shake, and you might even have difficulty eating all of it in one sitting. If none of the constituents are a problem on their own, it's likely that you're simply taking in too much at one go, at least until your body adjusts to them a bit.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I once took a nibble of raw fennel and was turned into a newt.

I got better...

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yes. Especially if you "juice" them. You get a concentrated dose of antinutrients and PUFA

Greens should always be throughly cooked if you're eating them at all(they're really not necessary)
    How so? I've always thought vegetables contain only negligible amount of fats.
    Last edited by Graycat; 01-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Every one's system is different but I know that when I was being treated by Chinese medicine every acupuncturist I saw told me not to eat raw veggies. Also on the Intro to the GAPS diet raw veggies are not allowed. BTW I wasn't seeing the acupuncturists for digestive reasons. From what I understand digesting raw veggies takes too much energy from the body and depending on your system (at the time mine was cold/damp) it can leave you less able to fight off infections.

kot
    kot is offline Member
    In my green smoothie experience. I initially had discomfort. My guess, too much fiber in one drink. I dialed it down the next few times, (volume and fibrous fruit and veg), and then added a little more each time. I'm guessing that I just didn't have enough and/or the right kind of gut bacteria. I also started a pro biotic supplement and adding cultured coconut milk to the smoothie
    So Delicious Dairy Free | Coconut Milk Yogurts | Original Yogurt BeverageSo Delicious Dairy Free | Coconut Milk Yogurts | Original Yogurt Beverage

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It was likely the amount of fiber and volume -- as kot and owly said.

I don't consider anti-nutrients and PUFAs a big problem.

And i drink the green drink as easily as I eat a salad made out of those things -- though I usually sautee kale. I'll eat cabbage raw, though, and all the other veg I drink, so. . . no bigs.

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    It kinda makes me sad that anyone would even have to ask this question... are raw veggies bad for you?

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if she covers cooked vs raw, but may be of interest:

At the 2nd Annual Ancestral Health Symposium 2012 (AHS12), Georgia Ede, M.D. gave her presentation titled "Little Shop of Horrors? The Risks and Benefits of Eating Plants". Bio: Georgia Ede, M.D., is the only psychiatrist at Harvard University offering nutrition consults to patients seeking an alternative to medications. She successfully applies modified Paleolithic dietary principles not only to the treatment of mood disorders, but also to “Mystery Syndromes”, such as Fibromyalgia, IBS, and Chronic Fatigue. Abstract: Plant-based diets are often touted as healthy, and yet many plants contain clever protective chemicals, carefully crafted by evolutionary forces over millennia, to serve the needs of the plant, rather than to nourish the human body. Many of these compounds are potentially toxic to animal cells, and include naturally-occurring pesticides, mineral chelators, and antibiotics. Understanding what is lurking inside the vegetables we eat can be…
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Not sure if she covers cooked vs raw, but may be of interest:

At the 2nd Annual Ancestral Health Symposium 2012 (AHS12), Georgia Ede, M.D. gave her presentation titled "Little Shop of Horrors? The Risks and Benefits of Eating Plants". Bio: Georgia Ede, M.D., is the only psychiatrist at Harvard University offering nutrition consults to patients seeking an alternative to medications. She successfully applies modified Paleolithic dietary principles not only to the treatment of mood disorders, but also to “Mystery Syndromes”, such as Fibromyalgia, IBS, and Chronic Fatigue. Abstract: Plant-based diets are often touted as healthy, and yet many plants contain clever protective chemicals, carefully crafted by evolutionary forces over millennia, to serve the needs of the plant, rather than to nourish the human body. Many of these compounds are potentially toxic to animal cells, and include naturally-occurring pesticides, mineral chelators, and antibiotics. Understanding what is lurking inside the vegetables we eat can be…
    She makes some good points. I treat veggies like exercise....a little bits probably good, but you can overdo it. I also try to eat mine lacto-fermented.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The enzymes your body uses to break down vegetables are in your saliva.

By blending the veggies you're removing the need to chew. But this means you aren't introducing enough saliva into the mix, thus not breaking down the food adequately, and thus leading to digestive problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12