Thread: Primal snacks page

bamabelle is offline Senior Member

Primal snacks

Primal Fuel
    Hey primal friends. I am on day 12 and seem to be getting along quite well so far. My only established snack besides fruit is mixed raw nuts and cheese. I am looking for some variety here and wondering what y'all turn to when you need a primal friendly snack?
    Amanda

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    cold meat, Greek yogurt, hard boiled egg, avocado...
    ...but honestly I try not to snack. I have found that tea is a good snack replacement if I just want to have something in my mouth or something to do with my hands (that sounds so rude). I'm currently experimenting with IF and it strikes me that snacking is just a desire for a different activity, which making and drinking tea provides.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 01-08-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added an avo (Aus joke)
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard! There are plenty of easy snack options, but you probably won't need them much once you get a bit more adapted to this way of eating. I used to be a grazer, but since I went paleo I don't eat nearly as much as I used to, and I don't feel the need to snack much anymore because the meals are so filling. But in any case, here are some examples of things I like to keep around for the occasional snack/lazy dinner:

pickles
    olives
    bananas, apples, clementines
    hard boiled eggs
    chunks of roasted sweet potato or butternut squash
    pomegranate seeds
    raw veggies (strips of bell pepper, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, broccoli florets, etc. etc.)
    homemade babaganoush
    high-quality salami

Don't forget, a small portion of a regular meal also makes a good snack. If you get a rotisserie chicken, go ahead and cut it all up when you get it home so you don't have to mess with it if you just want to grab a drumstick for a snack later.

Thanks guys! Yes, I am adapting to eating schedules now. I have been planning most meals as I've been cooking since starting paleo. That way I can control what is in my food plus it tastes much better (in most cases) than eating out. I am truly only eating when I'm hungry. I used to eat for bordom or emotional reasons, but haven't been that tempted, since primal meals are so satisfying---and I'm really mostly cooking things that I LOVE to eat. One challenge for me is that I live in New York City, so sometimes I am out and hungry and it will be awhile before I can get home and have food. Or at work, I usually get hungry mid-morning between breakfast and lunch (I work 12 1/2 hour days).

I appreciate the snack ideas! I am going to try them.

Feel free to keep posting ideas!

Grok on!
    Amanda

SarahChzBurg is offline Junior Member
    Carrots and almond butter!
    Hunks of meat
    Mini meatloafs (make meatloaf in muffic tins and freeze or keep in fridge)!
    Sarah
    Primal on a budget in Sugar Land, TX
    SarahChzBurg's Primal Journal

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    My snack as of late: mix 2 parts greek yoghurt with one part almond butter, add a banana and a few nuts. Stir. Eat all at once, or have a spoonful whenever you feel peckish. (I tend to scarf the lot instantly. Yummy!)
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    My snack as of late: mix 2 parts greek yoghurt with one part almond butter, add a banana and a few nuts. Stir. Eat all at once, or have a spoonful whenever you feel peckish. (I tend to scarf the lot instantly. Yummy!)
    Sounds YUM!

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget jerky!