Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad slip-up :( But I think the diet soda rumors might be true... page

cao
    cao is offline Junior Member

Bad slip-up :( But I think the diet soda rumors might be true...

Primal Fuel
    So I've been completely primal since beginning of the year. I feel great, exercise every day, can maintain a calorie deficit without hunger, all sorts of good things. I slipped up today and I think I know why but if you guys could help me I'd appreciate it a lot...
    I had experimented and decided that between my "chronic cardio" triathlon training and a busy schedule as student, volunteer, and waitress that I need between 100-150g carbs to function well. I think I need the higher end. So today I ate 100g carbs (clean, well-spaced) and went to work and it was super busy. I was drained from running up and down stairs/carrying bus tubs etc and craving sugar. I made the mistake of thinking diet coke would be a good alternative. I NEVER drink soda anymore, after kicking a diet soda habit some 7 years ago. I have maybe two a year and always regret it.
    Anyway, I drank like 10oz and I swear, I became ravenous. But a weird, sick, not-quite-real, blood sugar type of hunger. I ended up eating like 900 calories worth of chocolate (we had tons of holiday candy lying about). I am annoyed at myself but also curious and would like others' input if you have thoughts.
    I remember reading recently and repeatedly that diet sodas affect your hunger signals (ie make you hungry) not by affecting your blood sugar but by screwing up ghrelin levels or some such. I swear I think I just had immediate proof (although I had suspected as much before now). Does anyone else have a reaction like this to diet coke? I think if I had had legitimate sugar I would have even been better off, and been able to have a couple hundred unhealthy calories, rather than a bazillion...
    In this situation next time I think I should do the following (am I on the right track?):
    a) always take baked potato or carrots (I let myself do starches like that, just no rice, pasta, grain/bread, legumes, fruit, sugar) or something else high glycemic to work, just in case.
    b) Don't let my carbs get below 150 on active days (I'd already swam an hour this morning, then class all day, then waitressing).
    c) If I'm dying for sugar/something sweet then eat my potato, maybe have some coffee, for energy.
    d) neverevereverever drink diet sodas again :P
    e) not beat myself up over this: call it the 10 of my 90/10 and try to learn from it

Do you guys have any advice or a similar situation? Thanks in advance for any insight...trying very hard not to be discouraged by losing my calorie deficits today and yesterday Also sad that I think I'll lose that clean sleep I've been getting hooked on, at least for tonight

I have the same reaction to diet pop. It makes me hungry and want more of it, so I just stay away from it. However, every once in a while I'll treat myself to a pop made from regular cane sugar. I know it isn't primal and really healthy, but it's better than diet pops and regular pop made from HFCS (and you're probably thinking it would be better to not drink any pop at all). The way I figure is I eat pretty clean primal 80-90% of the time that the occasional pop isn't going to derail me too much. Just don't make a habit of it.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I react weirdly to diet sodas too. I can be stuffed to the gills from my meal, but if I had a Coke Zero with it, I'll still be getting rumbly-tummy and other "hungry" signals, even though I know I'm full. It also makes me have to pee like a mofo. Nothing else does that, not even regular sodas.

cao
    Interesting to know others have had same reaction. As for this morning....holy sugar hangover, Batman I'm almost grateful, however, as it is providing me with motivation to never again make myself feel this way/fall off the wagon. Bleh...

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Just a PSA.... I love soda. Never diet, but real coke, sprite etc. I discovered Kombucha. Have not wanted a soda since. I drink it a few times a week (it is expensive) and LOVE it after a hard workout- same time I used to crave a coke. For me, kombucha hits that exact craving without the sugar roller coaster.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    Same for me. If I drink diet pop then I can and will eat every thing I can get my hands on. There is no getting full after it. I'm no scientist, but I think that is where the weight gain comes in, not from the pop itself.

cao
    Magnolia1973: I love Kombucha as well, and the while the price tag makes it an occasional indulgence I agree with your timing> I use it for fizzy/soda/alcohol/sugar cravings. Delicious
    Skline2: I totally agree re: where the weight gain comes in (i.e. obviously not the non-caloric pop itself but some other component). I don't know if I think it has to do with keeping sugar cravings high because you're eating something sweet: to me it seems almost a chemical/endocrinological feeling, almost like low blood sugar but slightly different. I'll be interested to see continued research: in the meantime I'll just know it does something terrible to me and avoid it like the plague :P

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    and yet I can drink a diet pepsi and it has no effect but a smidge of caffeine. I dont get those sugar crashes everyone claims it causes. go figure.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I have this same problem, artificial sweeteners make me ravenous (and aspartame in particular triggers migraines). I dropped sodas almost 8 years ago, but every now and then I crave one, much less frequently now that I'm Primal. Strangely, my most distinct cravings for carbonation comes after a greasy cheat meal (where the grease is unhealthy, like fast food) so I can see why fast food and sodas go hand in hand.

I find that stevia doesn't have the same appetite effect that artificial sweeteners do, so I buy Zevia sodas, they have caffeine in the traditionally caffeinated varieties (cola, Dr., Mtn). They're expensive, but periodically they go on sale and I usually find coupons that stack to make them a lot cheaper, so I stock up then. It's not a regular beverage in our house, but nice to have on occasion.

mooreallty is offline Junior Member
    yeah,There is no getting full after it. I'm no scientist, but I think that is where the weight gain comes in.thank you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast