Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Exercise page

Mainer is offline Senior Member

Winter Exercise

Primal Fuel
    I'm posting this for a couple of reasons. First, while I'm not entirely sure I buy into the thermogenesis theory, I still nonetheless love exercising outdoors in the cold whether its downhill skiing, mtn biking, or snowshoeing. I have been snowshoeing the most lately since the trails are a bit of a beoutch to bike on right now (waiting for them to set up) and I'm waiting for another powder dump before going skiing. While snowshoeing, I have been wearing as little as possible and try to stay on the uncomfortable side to see if there is anything to this theory, too early to tell.

The second reason I am posting this is that it appears there are several other members on here that like to hike as well so the sharing aspect is interesting. Lastly, since some think those of us from Maine are a bunch of rednecks (well, some of us are) we at least get to brag about living in a very beautiful area. These pics are from snowshoe expeditions within the last two weeks within walking distance of the house. Most of the hikes are up over mountains that overlook the Atlantic Ocean, so while sweating and paying your dues one is often rewarded with these type of views. Hope those of you who are hikers enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I hate cold weather (California girl) and have trouble tolerating anything below 50 degrees F, but I lived in Canada a couple years ago and found that I actually loved taking long walks in the bitter cold (we're talking -20, CELSIUS). I didn't own a car, and had to walk a mile to work, a mile to the grocery store, etc. As long as I was bundled properly, there was something spectacular about tromping through the snow. Especially at night! Silence all around except for the crunch of my boots. Pretty awesome. I kind of miss it. (Kind of. Not really. Weather is a big reason I now live in Texas.)

Shalimar is offline Member
    The xc skiing has been very good in the mid coast, DH and I have been thrilled. I snowshoed up Ragged Mt the other day and it was very fine. I love winter outdoors too. Do you carry warm extra clothes with you? Even a little jaunt can turn hypothermic with a bit of bad luck. I always take a space blanket and headlamp, as well as other emergency items.
    Summer is too hot for me to hike. I'd rather paddle and swim then.
    I'll be camping out with a group soon, trying winter camping for the first time, very exciting!
    Isn't it great to be out there this time of year?! Happy trails!
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i love getting outdoors in the winter. i prefer summer and winter hiking, but snowshoeing a mountain in winter is pretty great. (@Shalimar...my cousin has been making regular trips of ragged lately. the pictures look great) My part of NH is still a little light on snow, so i can throw on some boots and gators and head out. but, it's been really warm for january here, and the snow seems to be going away.
    i've got to get over to do some hiking in maine this year. i feel like maybe i'm a little too loyal to the whites, and might be missing out a bit.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I go skating at lunch on the lagoon in the park. When we have snow in the city, I go xc skiing on the sports' field. I also walk a lot and go to the hill with my kid to sleigh if, again, we have snow. Our city Zoo in the winter is awesome - nobody around, and tigers, bears, cougars, penguins are all happy and the indoor 'tropical' exhibits are a good break from the cold!

I don't drive out to ski in the mountains, since it takes too long to get there. Once I put my kid on skis, maybe next year (?) I hope we can go together. I wish the equipment was not soooo expensive here. Back in the old country, we skiid with 'over the boot' stripe binding till like mid-teens, but nothing like that here, oh, noes, gotta buy boots every year. Yakes.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Hey, primalrob, the Whites are great, you could hike there for a lifetime. Maine may be more wilderness if you go to Baxter, especially the trails away from Katahdin. I hiked out from South Branch campground in the fall, and didn't see anyone on the three peaks. What a view. I hope to go there for some xc skiing before the winter's done. And places like Acadia and Camden Hills, where you can see the beautiful sea from the top of a small mountain, are breathtaking.
    I bet the Whites are within an hour of where you are, and if so, what a treasure to have in your backyard. It's harder to get to the mountains in Maine, and I think for the wildlife, it's better that way. Takes some planning to go there.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    My morning started today with ice fog drifting around at about 12F. It is about a mile to my daughter's preschool and she went in her new kid-sized kicksled that Santa brought. I had to add a bit of push now and again, but she did really well. Her hair was all frosted around her face by the time we arrived; she looked like a little snow sprite. After dropping her off, I hoofed it toward work and ran into a bull moose on the trail. My first thought was that this guy better get off of my trail because I had a meeting to get to. The better thought then occurred to me, which was " how freaking awesome is it that I and my kid can have these kinds of experiences on a daily basis". Living in the north presents it's own challenges and annoyances and also pays back in big ways, even (or perhaps especially) in the winter.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Ha, well I get to walk in 12 inch deep mud in damp chilly air, you can keep your mountains, and propper winter and snow, I don't need it *cries into cup of tea*

Though at least when we get a tiny bit of snow eveyone forgets how to drive and blocks the roads up, that at least keeps my mirth up
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't like winter, and can't wait to retire and move to a more benign climate, but I don't allow it to lock me indoors. One thing i do every winter religiously to beat winter blues, is swim, steam and hot tub in our rec centre. Helps both mood and general health.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh yes, Leida, I love our local hot tub and pool too. It was very welcome after my last ski outing.

OneDelta, I love to see moose. One was in my backyard a few years ago, and I live in a town. what a beauty. And there was the unseen one up at Baxter State Park. I woke in the dark, dark, wee hours to hear something walking near me, then taking a big sniff of my hopefully pleasant odor. In the morning light I saw the hoofprint 2 feet from my tent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast