Thread: Primal Wonton or Eggroll Wrappers? page

pearlina is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Primal Wonton or Eggroll Wrappers?

Primal Fuel
    I have been on the primal diet for a short while, given my Asian heritage, it was difficult to give up rice but I think I feel pretty good without it so far. I found Kelp noodles to be a great replacement for noodle dishes that I usually make so it's good there, but I am really craving wontons/eggrolls.

I have searched everywhere, on this site and elsewhere but I think it might not be possible to have true primal/paleo friendly eggroll/wonton wrappers. I have purchased both coconut and almond flour like everyone else, and recently had great success in making primal friendly chips and dips with almond meal/coconut flour, but for some reason I am not able to find same recipes for the wrappers.

My guess is almond and coconut flour is only good for baking and possibly not good for frying or boiling?
    I have seen tons of Gluten Free wrappers recipes but they still call for either rice flour or rice paper or tapioca flour which aren't strictly primal preferred.

Anyone has any experience in this matter?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Tapioca is oK isn't it? It might make a decent wrapper...

pearlina is offline Junior Member
    Someone pointed me to these today, not sure if they can be fried in oil, but looks promising:

Pure Wraps Stock Original Wraps, 1.98oz, Pure Wraps, Main Website | Sunfood.com

Has anyone tried those before? Are they fry-able?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Spring roll rice paper wrappers, rice flour, and tapioca flour are all fine for use occasionally IMO.

Rice paper and rice flour is made from rice. Acceptable.
    Tapioca is a starch from a root... roots and tubers are fine.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    From what I've been able to gather, the rice-based stuff would be alright. You might be able to kind of fake it with seaweed wrap, but my experience with doing things with seaweed wraps are limited.

Do let us know how your progress finds you - wontons were my DE FACTO favourite "Chinese food" dish.

M.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I made a kinda screwy version with blanched cabbage leaves. I had to treat it more like and egg roll or grape leaf than a wonton wrapper, but it worked.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

MarieD is offline Junior Member
    I've had the coconut wraps - really good, but insanely expensive (at least at the natural food store where I bought them). I didn't try and fry them though.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Spring roll rice paper wrappers,.
    Was also my first thought.. makes me want to experiment and try that with the new hog coming in next spring at my local farm...

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Would it be possible to blanch cabbage leaves so they are soft and pliable and use them? I know it is possible to make cabbage rolls and fry them though I've never tried. I would think they only difference between a fried cabbage roll and a fried eggroll would be the filling-but I've never made eggrolls so I could be wrong.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener