Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aged Cheddar Cheese Question page 2

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Once in a while my evening meal is a block of cheese and a bottle of wine.. Primal? Maybe.. Yummy, most definitely.

RobinNM is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    If you're trying to lose weight, dairy is one of the foods you should probably avoid. HOWEVER, this is entirely dependent upon your own individual results. MANY people have a difficult time losing weight so long as they continue to eat problematic foods such as dairy and unsprouted nuts/seeds, but this is certainly not true for all people.

Try eating cheese for a week or two -- take note of how you look and feel (energy levels, bloating, etc.). If you start to feel more lethargic, develop skin issues, or feel bloated or puffy, remove it from your diet.

Some alternative sources of protein: sprouted nuts and seeds, eggs, sprouted brown rice and sprouted quinoa (if you tolerate these well), potatoes and sweet potatoes.
    +1. I love milk, but milk doesn't love me, so I had to remove it from my diet and my waist thanked me. I use a splash of heavy cream in my tea in the mornings, though, without problems.

As to your original question about cheese, I use cheese all the time. It's another condiment for me. I don't eat chunks of it, but a fair amount melted on my eggs in the morning or grated into a salad - yum. Just make sure that you are calculating the calories - they do matter - and keep your total calories at whatever level it is that you're using for your weight loss.

Also, get a good cheese if you can. I'm a huge fan of the Kerrygold Dubliner. It's a drier, milder cheddar. They have one called Ballyshannon which is a little moister and a little sharper - I don't care for that one as much. I always make sure I have a block of the Dubliner in the fridge, though. I can't have eggs in the morning without it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by slowcooker View Post
    Once in a while my evening meal is a block of cheese and a bottle of wine.. Primal? Maybe.. Yummy, most definitely.
    Yep, done that too. Call it a Mediterranean platter, and add some olives, grapes, maybe some nice salume, a few raw oysters, or even some high-quality anchovies. Pick at this, pick at that, soon enough hunger is gone, yummy.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    I like cheese and think it's a perfectly good diet food for me.

A pound of cheese is only about 1200-1800 calories depending on type. I can add in more veg than I want to deal with, have a few eggs, and still be running a significant kcal deficit after eating that. As an added benefit, a pound of cheese in a day can seem like a fair amount, at least to me.

In the last week I've probably eaten two pounds of cheese, and by that I mean that I cut open a 1-pound cheese in the morning and ate the last of it before bed. I've been steadily losing. Of course I'm not going to do that every day because good cheese is more expensive than good meat but from a CICO and a macro balance perspective cheese doesn't seem too awful. Brie is something like 57:42:1 by weight, or around 74:25:1 by calories, fat : protein : carb, just as an example.

Obviously you don't want to go overboard, but a pound in a day seems reasonable assuming you are really replacing something else, instead of adding it as a snack.
    Last edited by Him; 01-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.

bjjcaveman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Try it and see how you feel. I eat lots of cheese. It is a rich source of vitamin K2. It can stop fat loss though. Experiment. 50% of the time might be too much.
    Why do you say that this can stop fat loss?

Is it the caloric density of these cheeses... or something else?

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Cut back on the meat if you want. This WOE is high FAT low carb, not high protein.

Eat some nuts, eggs and dairy if they agree with you. Keep in mind that if weight loss is your top priority, portion control is usually necessary. Your mileage may vary.

What kind of meat are you eating? How about fish? There are endless ways to prepare endless cut of meat, poultry and seafood. I can't imagine getting sick of meat. Maybe you're tired of *preparing* meat?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjjcaveman View Post
    Why do you say that this can stop fat loss?

Is it the caloric density of these cheeses... or something else?
    probably the carbs.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Guerir is offline Junior Member
    Tank you so much

Well you must be a genius

I must be confused as I am thinking we are to count carbs and not calories
    Thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast