Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal eating & Living a busy life page

Ollie is offline Senior Member

Primal eating & Living a busy life

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys,

What would be your top tip (or tips) for maintaining a healthy primal diet whilst on the go or pushed for time pretty much everyday? How do you go about it? What little tips allows you to keep it up?

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Hard boiled eggs!
    Knowing where to find a quick primal (or close enough) meal out - most places will do a salad with some meat, and you can always pay a little extra for a little more meat if you need it.
    Making as much food on weekends and enjoying the leftovers throughout the week.
    Don't go hungry - pack more food than you think you need - nuts, cheese, good jerky, eggs, etc. - it may go uneaten but then you have some food for the next day. Hunger is a recipe for trouble - avoid!

missblue is offline Senior Member
    I keep tins of canned sardines, oysters, clams in my desk at work as well as foil pouches of seasoned salmon & tuna.
    Add some hot sauce, or even a couple of romaine lettuce leaves, and you've got a great snack and no hunger pangs.
    I also like cocoa nibs and coconut manna for a sweet treat

KatieCHI is offline Member
    I too keep some canned mackerel around and usually have some almonds on hand. But last night, when I unexpectedly went right from work to someone's house to watch football, I had to find some primal food nearby. Usually Chipotle works and I'm lucky enough to have an Epic Burger close.
    Also, I've had luck with making a giant (9x13) quiche on the weekend and dividing it up into squares and freezing it for emergency meals. I used the recipe from Pratical Paleo and it holds up really well.

Paleobird Guest
    Get a Crock Pot. In the morning toss hunk of meat plus veggies in with a splash of wine and/or broth, put the cover on and set on low. When you get home from work, dinner is all ready and everyone will think you are a culinary genius.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I second the crock pot, and I also try to roast up some chicken drumsticks, mini fritatta muffins, hard boil eggs, chop celery, etc. on Sundays to have around for quick breakfasts/lunches/snacks through the week.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    My wife made a big pot of beef stew last night, it'll last us for dinners or lunch for the next 4 days. Or we can freeze some for later. Last week was chicken soup...

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Canned fish, avocados, cans of coconut milk, hard boiled eggs. I always have this in the kitchen. Very portable. You can make a quick salad with the avocados, eggs, some black pepper, some mayo. Delish.

There is a place in my area that sells organic chicken (rotisserie). Sometimes we buy half a chicken and make several things out of them for a few days.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Batch cooking is a real lifesaver. I try to make enough so I can freeze some for dinners on nights when we don't have time to cook. The slow cooker is another magic time saver, as Paleobird said--it's even better when you can combine batch cooking and the slow cooker and make a big pot of chili, curry, or stew. You can eat some right away and put the rest in the fridge.

I also do like a lot of other folks here have mentioned and make sure I have good, portable, fast primal things on hand. Another strategy is to know what places you can go out to eat or get takeout where the food is primal friendly.

I have a few quick and lazy meals I throw together too. I mash a can of tuna with an avocado, lemon juice, and hot sauce. I scramble eggs and eat them with sliced avocado and salsa. I make omelettes fairly often. Sometimes we also have breakfast for dinner (bacon and eggs), which is pretty quick and easy.

For lunches, I try to make enough at dinner the night before to ensure that I have a couple of extra portions for the next day. Any time I can get two or more meals out of one time cooking is great.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I work 12 hr shifts on Fri, Sat, Sun, and 8 hrs on Mon, so on Thursday, I cook. I get breakfast at work on Friday, so for bkfst the rest of the days I cook:A fritata, at least a lb of bacon, maybe some scrambled eggs with hot sauce, maybe some sausages. For lunch I make all the fixins for a BAS: Mark's ranch dressing, chicken, bacon, shrimp, avocado, and several bags of greens. For supper, I either have my hubby cook when I get home in the evening, or I cook several pork chops with mushrooms and onions in a cream wine sauce or a crockpot corned beef with potatoes and fried cabbage that I made specifically for supper. I also bring snacks like walnuts roasted in hot sauce and butter, smoked cheese, hard boiled eggs, and beef jerky. I takes about 2-3 hours (except for the crockpot), and it feeds me for several days. My comorkers make fun of all the food I bring in, but they areat the same time impressed.
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast