Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit not reintroducing well. page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Fruit not reintroducing well.

Shop Now
    So about three weeks ago I reduced fat intake a little, and protein a little, and reintroduced fruit. At first it was horrid - pain, bloating, clay poop. But it's gotten a little better. I'm back to regular programming at the porcelain (about every other day), but I have not gotten rid of the bloat. It's probably around ten pounds now, I think mostly water since my BF% has stayed almost the same while my hydration number has been rising. Has anyone made this journey? Will the bloat pass when my gut biome catches up or is this a permanent sort of intolerance?

I've been eating one or two bananas a day, one or two apples, and at least one orange, sometimes three because they're small and I crave them like nothing else. Like, right now, I'm getting up and getting an orange. My eating patterns are completely smashed to bits because I keep just wanting one more piece of fruit. And of course I keep getting hungry, which is new.

WTF, fruit bats?

Also, all my apsie traits are becoming harder to control. I can't stop drumming on counter tops, etc. Feels like I'm connecting less with people, too. I'm plausibly done with fruit for awhile unless I get some really good explanations or advice.

General diet these days:
    Different animal a day, less than a pound of meat. Some days no meat to mix things up. Bacon, fish, chicken, ground beef, duck eggs, etc. probably 750 to 1000 calories from protein and animal fat, give or take.
    Coconut milk, heated and ingested, no additives - 420 calories 1x day most days
    Avocados almost daily, apples, oranges, bananas daily.
    Canned olives at whim.
    Canned oysters probably about 2x a week
    Liver, heart, and such, bone broth on occasion (been letting my wife use it all for her GAPS effort).
    Spices and herbs, turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, clove, etc.
    Quit coffee, drinking green tea now.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 01-08-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Start taking a probiotic pill with all your meals or start eating Greek yogurt at the expense of meat. It likely took many months or years to destroy your gut bacteria by avoiding soluble fiber and sugars, so it'll probably take just as long to rebuild.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I'd expect to be covered in boils if I ate that much of any dairy! The probiotic seems fine. It just seems odd to retune my body again, when it seemed to be running pretty well aside from my oddly aged appearance. Maybe I made the wrong call. Maybe I just needed more fat and a little less meat, and to maintain my apple-a-day and berries, etc. habit.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Your stomach and intestines probably has to get used to the fruit fibers again, so no big deal I suppose. I recommend to eat the fruits at night after your last meal, or as your last meal of the day before bedtime, to avoid cravings, that’s what I do anyway, and it works…

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Well GAPS protocol, which is used with autism, adhd, aspergers...ect recommends simple sugars (think honey but not sugar which is a disaccharide ....fruits but not tators) as a mode of killing off the unwanted virulent bacteria of the gut that actually increase the symptoms of this condition. The kind that feed on left over not easily absorbed sugars. So you would stick to fruits and ditch any starchy items.

I bring this up since your pounding the bananas. Bananas in the early stages are very starchy and can be feeding the wrong sort of bacteria. Very ripe bananas are OK, but if I were you I would eliminate them completely.

In addition if its been a long while you may consider cooking your fruits a bit for a couple weeks to ease digestion.

I would actually expect your aspie traits to do the best on your previous diet, but whats optimal for one thing may not be what your looking for. Guess thats just a choice your gonna have to make though.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-08-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Well, leaving things as they are and just cutting the bananas seems like a very mild tweak that might also cut the bloat.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well GAPS protocol, which is used with autism, adhd, aspergers...ect recommends simple sugars (think honey but not sugar which is a disaccharide ....fruits but not tators) as a mode of killing off the unwanted virulent bacteria of the gut that actually increase the symptoms of this condition. The kind that feed on left over not easily absorbed sugars. So you would stick to fruits and ditch any starchy items.

I bring this up since your pounding the bananas. Bananas in the early stages are very starchy and can be feeding the wrong sort of bacteria. Very ripe bananas are OK, but if I were you I would eliminate them completely.

In addition if its been a long while you may consider cooking your fruits a bit for a couple weeks to ease digestion.

I would actually expect your aspie traits to do the best on your previous diet, but whats optimal for one thing may not be what your looking for. Guess thats just a choice your gonna have to make though.
    Me too. What was broke about your old diet that needed fixing?

EagleRiverDee is online now Senior Member
    Based on the count in your post you are eating as much as 7 pieces of fruit a day. You don't need that much. I don't think you need to stop eating fruit entirely, but I'd cut back to just one piece a day.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Fruit always makes me bloat and always makes me crave. It seems that I don't tolerate any carb very well, at least especially right now (winter). I am working feverishly at getting to the bottom of why, but in the meantime, taking probiotics, eating fermented foods that I can tolerate (not dairy), taking good gut supp's like curcumin, etc. etc. etc.

I totally relate to gaining 10lb of water weight in 3 weeks from a seemingly benign food. I go back and forth between saying "screw the intolerances; I'm just going to eat what a healthy person should be able to eat and ignore the bloating & water retention" and saying "I'm SICK AND TIRED of the bloating and water retention and I'm just going to eat nothing but meat, fish, offal, & fat!"
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    i would get rid of the fruit if I were you!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast