Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fruit not reintroducing well. page 4

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Knife, were you able to digest fruit and dairy before starting paleo?
    Dairy, never ever in my whole life. Always turned to concrete in my gut. Fruit, I don't know because I spent my whole life bloated and gassy from modern wheat and dairy.

Sleep probably IS the culprit, anyway.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    As much as I loved reintroducing carbs for a while, I had to kiss them goodbye after trying everything else first. Just recently did it on Christmas day and I have a whole new gut just in that short time - not to mention many other annoyances that have improved. Despite enzymes, probiotics, you name it - nothing worked. A couple of days of nothing but meat, coconut oil and milk and limited veggies gave me my answer. Could be SIBO or something similar that I thought I'd left behind after my previous years of ketosis. I'm thinking I'll be staying here again for a while, but I guess time will tell....again. I would have tried the dairy route but am allergic to casein, have been since I was a baby. I loved the healthy carbs, but the more I ate that way, the worse my gut became, and at a faster rate.

I loved the Perfect Health Diet for a while there (as you and I discussed). Damn guts. Back to LC. To be continued, I'm sure.

Hope you figure it out, Knifegill. And get some sleep.
    Likely what has happened to you is due to such longterm restriction, you caused irreparable damage to your gut flora. Have you ever heard of the "poop shake?"

Stool Transplants Could Soon Be Standard Treatment For Clostridium Difficile

It sounds disgusting, but fecal transplants are starting to become popular. Yea, it's exactly how it sounds: you basically drink the stool sample of a person with healthy gut flora to reintroduce the good microbes into your gut. Basically, you can only repair your gut through fermented dairy products and probiotics to a certain point. People that have had their gut flora wiped out from chronic antibiotic use - or in your and possibly the OP's case, the deliberate longterm avoidance of the world's healthiest foods for your belly - there is a chance you could be too far gone.

I wonder if you can get your gut flora analyzed. You should see what type of shape it's in. You may find something like this majorly beneficial. At the very least, you should at least get yourself checked because it's not good to be unable to process soluble fiber.

And c'mon, what a story for Red Wine Wednesdays!

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-08-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Knifegill, why aren't you doing GAPS with your wife? It seems like it could be very healing for you.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Choco, you know I love ya, but I'd rather stick forks in my eyeballs.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey Knifegill,

I don't know why, but this whole topic makes me feel sad...

Ookay, I'm not an expert but here's what I'm observing:

- You feel great low carb. You have lots of energy, can maintain weight loss, and it helps you control your (Aspergers?) symtpoms. All positive, valuable stuff which can't be knocked.

- You feel you are ageing suddenly and prematurely. Apparently this is not uncommon when people are VLC for a long time (don't kill me low carbers!) but you also have an erratic sleep schedule. Stress is incredibly ageing. How are your stress levels? I personally couldnt cope in ketosis cos I found it so stressful. Lack of sleep is even worse.

- You are quite forceful in how you implement dietary changes (because you want to see results quickly?). You're currently eating more fruit than I ate when I was a vegetarian!

- You're now experiencing a lot of bloating.

In Carb Wars I am generally in the 33:33:33 camp, but this is because I really believe that everyone is different and needs to find the balance that works for them.

Based on what you've explained I think you could:

- Place your focus on the sleep schedule. Be patient. Give it a week or two and see how you're looking and feeling after that. I know people might say that's not enough time, but if you spend two weeks where your focus is relaxing instead of trying to "fix" something I think you should see changes (if lifestyle stress is in fact the problem).

- dial back on the fruit (maybe to just three pieces a day?) and also experiment with the kinds of fruit you are eating. Maybe some agree with you better than others. I'm not great with blueberries or sharon fruit, some people have difficulty with cherries etc. etc. Find a fruit that you find easy to digest. Apples are notoriously bloating. Pineapple is apparently anti-bloating. Keep a diary and see if some effect your aspie symptoms.

- N=1 isn't effective if you change too many things at once. See how your bloating and skin react to the moderate-fruit-more-sleep regime. If you're not seeing an improvement then you could experiment with adding in a tiny bit of starch. White potatoes mashed with butter and bone broth might be easier for you than just boiled.

- Ultimately I think the most important thing is to be patient

FYI - I noticed that my skin aged quite suddenly on two occasions in my late twenties. Once when I was a low-carb veggie, once when I was vegan. These days my skin is glowing, and I'm noticing it looks best when I'm eating small amounts of rice (cooked in bone broth) and gelatinous cuts of meat. Chicken thighs are my friend

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Choco, you know I love ya, but I'd rather stick forks in my eyeballs.
    And eat them afterwards...! lol.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 01-09-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Forgot about KG's dairy intolerance.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Eating someone' s**t to restore gut health. Mother of god....

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hill View Post
    Eating someone' s**t to restore gut health. Mother of god....
    I thought I'd heard that the usual route of administration was from the other end (directly into the colon). Makes a lot more sense to me.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I thought I'd heard that the usual route of administration was from the other end (directly into the colon). Makes a lot more sense to me.
    For fecal transplants this is correct. Dunno what Chaco's into these days though.......

And I don't know who he's speaking with, but many low carbers get all the soluble fiber they need from things like avocados and other fruit/veggies. His whole low carbers gut problem theory is so full of holes its impossible to even know where to begin.

More likely for Knifegill that he has some fructose malabsorption issues:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

Or the starch bit.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-09-2013 at 05:52 AM.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Yes, fecal transplants *are* the cutting edge treatment for gut health these days, and yes, they are administered as enemas, not shakes. *shudder*

Knifegill, have you checked your testosterone (it should be near the top of the range) & other hormones lately? Premature aging is very tied in with these. And they are very tied in with thyroid function, gut health, nutrient-dense diet, & circadian rhythms (including SLEEP).

What's your trouble with sleep? Making time for it? Getting sleepy on time? Insomnia?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I think gut issues are the least of his concerns right now. Poor knife... He has people saying he needs a fecal transplant now. Guy can't catch a break!

Sleep moar! It really is that simple. Oh, and knife... I'd take looking aged and feeling GREAT to looking young but feeling like shit all the time ANY day of the week.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast