Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fruit not reintroducing well. page 3

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

I take issue with the hypocrisy. Eat all whole foods. Your body wants a little bit of everything - fat, protein and glucose. Start 33%f/33%p/33%c and adjust accordingly until you feel best.
    well stated!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    This community as a whole thrives on obsession. We need to be counter-culture. We love shock and awe. I guess that's why this "extreme" lifestyle attracts us? So our friends can marvel as we eat bacon and put butter in our coffee so it's taboo and anti-conventional wisdom?

People around here love to ....
    Pot, meet kettle.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Me too. What was broke about your old diet that needed fixing?
    Didn't you see his entire thread about "aging prematurely" wherein the entire thread basically screamed at him to add back in sugars and carbs RIGHT away, less he look like he belonged in a retirement home within weeks?

Seriously, people made WAY too big of a deal of it in that thread.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Didn't you see his entire thread about "aging prematurely" wherein the entire thread basically screamed at him to add back in sugars and carbs RIGHT away, less he look like he belonged in a retirement home within weeks?

Seriously, people made WAY too big of a deal of it in that thread.
    Yeah, I saw that thread in which me telling him to de-stress and get some more quantity and quality of sleep got lost in all the carb pushing.

I'm not trying to dictate his macro ratios one way or the other here, I'm just saying that that whole issue is massively moot when you are not getting enough sleep.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that having bad sleep is the #1 thing about aging prematurely.

So maybe this isn't a diet thing but more of a lifestyle thing?

Edit: @PB +1
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, I saw that thread in which me telling him to de-stress and get some more quantity and quality of sleep got lost in all the carb pushing.

I'm not trying to dictate his macro ratios one way or the other here, I'm just saying that that whole issue is massively moot when you are not getting enough sleep.
    You won't hear me arguing with that!

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think that having bad sleep is the #1 thing about aging prematurely.

So maybe this isn't a diet thing but more of a lifestyle thing
    Definitely! A messed up Circadian rhythm wreaks havoc in many ways. No dietary change is enough to counteract the negative effects, unfortunately.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

alisa1648 is offline Junior Member
    I've experienced the same difficulties digesting fruit, especially apples and oranges. It is possible to be fructose intolerant (check out this article Understanding Food Allergies and Intolerances &bull; AGA Intolerance)
    Eating fruit other than berries and avocados causes me sugar cravings, bloating, stomach cramping, sugar highs and crashes. If you know fruit causes you problems, don't second guess your decision to eliminate it!

Zach is offline Banned
    Knife, were you able to digest fruit and dairy before starting paleo?

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Why? Dairy intolerance again is almost always a product of poor gut health. This is exactly why very low carbers tend to have every food sensitivity under the sun. Animal protein and fat are healthy - in appropriate quantities. We're not supposed to get 60% dietary calories from fat and 30% dietary calories from protein. We produce amylase in our saliva for a reason. We preferentially burn glucose over fatty acids for a reason. We evolved in areas where fruit and starch is plentiful and lean game meats are the norm. We didn't evolve in the arctic. when you ignore the most important macronutrient for your body - carbohydrate - your gut colonies literally die off and you run into all these intolerances because you can no longer digest food.

Step #1: Start taking a probiotic with all your meals.
    Step #2: Start introducing small quantities of full fat fermented dairy - Greek yogurt or kefir ideally.
    Step #3: Start introducing small amounts of cheeses.

Once you get past that part, your gut bacteria should be getting better. Supplement with soluble fiber - white potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, etc.
    As much as I loved reintroducing carbs for a while, I had to kiss them goodbye after trying everything else first. Just recently did it on Christmas day and I have a whole new gut just in that short time - not to mention many other annoyances that have improved. Despite enzymes, probiotics, you name it - nothing worked. A couple of days of nothing but meat, coconut oil and milk and limited veggies gave me my answer. Could be SIBO or something similar that I thought I'd left behind after my previous years of ketosis. I'm thinking I'll be staying here again for a while, but I guess time will tell....again. I would have tried the dairy route but am allergic to casein, have been since I was a baby. I loved the healthy carbs, but the more I ate that way, the worse my gut became, and at a faster rate.

I loved the Perfect Health Diet for a while there (as you and I discussed). Damn guts. Back to LC. To be continued, I'm sure.

Hope you figure it out, Knifegill. And get some sleep.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast