Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specific recommendations on Yelllow Lens glasses page

rebelpapa is offline Junior Member

Specific recommendations on Yelllow Lens glasses

Shop Now
    I'm interested to purchase a pair of Yellow Lens glasses, but searching here didn't yield many results. The information in Mark's books didn't really seem sufficient to choose a pair (aside from safety glasses or smithoptics), but what's the difference? What are the benefits of a more expensive pair etc.

So, I'm looking for recommendations and maybe a bit more of an education on the most beneficial glasses.

I want to start wearing them at night to help combat my eye strain, which is particularly bad at night.

Thank you.
    Last edited by rebelpapa; 01-08-2013 at 10:04 AM.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    You might look at shooting glasses, with an anti-glare coating. A VERY light yellow tint can improve night vision. A darker yellow tint is only going to hurt your night vision, as it will block light from entering your eyes. I used to shoot at night using Decot HiWyd yellow lenses with an anti-glare coating and a 5% yellow tint. You can also get them in prescription grades, if you require corrective lenses. The anti-glare coating would help while driving at night, since often it's glare from oncoming traffic headlights and reflections off wet pavement that cause difficulty seeing.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

thedoglett is offline Junior Member
    I recently got some Gunnar glasses to ease eyestrain as I work on the computer pretty much all day. Gunnar seem to have a lot of techie babble about what they do but I have to admit that they have reduced my eye 'fatigue' and it makes reading on screen a lot easier.

I believe you can also wear them for driving at night (they're probably just expensive safety goggles) but I would certainly recommend them (or another brand) if you're suffering eye strain.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll almost always be using these inside at night. The eyestrain is generally from the little TV that I do watch or from the computer screen.

These are expensive, but taking Mark's recommendation of smithoptics.com, which glasses work? The website doesn't really have information about which lights are blocked etc.

I guess something like this would work? Pivlock V90

I've also read that UVEX S1933X ones from Amazon are particularly good for blue-blocking.

Any users of those chime in?

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Mark recommended these in a post a week or so ago. I bought them yesterday, but they haven't come in yet. They are cheap, so it's not much of a risk trying them.

Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear, Black Frame, SCT-Orange UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens - Amazon.com

Good luck on your quest!

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    Mark recommended these in a post a week or so ago. I bought them yesterday, but they haven't come in yet. They are cheap, so it's not much of a risk trying them.

Uvex S1933X Skyper Safety Eyewear, Black Frame, SCT-Orange UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens - Amazon.com

Good luck on your quest!
    Thank you, those are in fact the ones I was talking about above. I'll start with those and go from there.

Cheers!

Got the UVEX glasses in today. I'll test them out tonight, but I did just wear them for a few minutes. It will be interesting to work on the computer or watch TV with these on, but it doesn't seem too bad. They aren't incredibly comfortable though. Considering it's likely something I plan to wear 2-3 hours every night I'll likely invest in a more comfortable/costly pair.

Any recommendations on that?

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I just bought a kerosine lantern from walmart for about $7, and now when it gets late I just light that puppy and use it, and it's easy to carry around so I can take it throughout the house without any issues. I read by it's light last night and it worked like a charm. So, If your willing to turn off the comp screens and tv's, this could be an effect late night light source.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    I just bought a kerosine lantern from walmart for about $7, and now when it gets late I just light that puppy and use it, and it's easy to carry around so I can take it throughout the house without any issues. I read by it's light last night and it worked like a charm. So, If your willing to turn off the comp screens and tv's, this could be an effect late night light source.
    This is a great idea, and conveniently I already have one! I think I will definitely be giving this a try tonight as candles just don't provide enough light for me if I want to read at night

Just a quick update. I wore the UVEX S1933X glasses for a couple of hours last night before bed. I didn't watch TV or do much computer work, but I did sleep pretty well. I did, however, still take quite a while to fall asleep. I'm hoping that will get better.

Overall for $10, the glasses are fine. But they really aren't comfortable to wear for multiple hours at night.

I was checking out the blublocker.com website and their glasses are scratch/smash resistent, block 100% UV light and 100% of blue light. They aren't bad priced at about $50 for 2 pairs. My guess is their aviator style will be more comfortable to wear. I think I'll give these a try.

I'll also watch this thread for other recommendations, or if anyone has experience with the blublocker brand for indoor night wearing, please chime in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast