Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Nature's Candy" and Convenience page

campanella is offline Senior Member

"Nature's Candy" and Convenience

Shop Now
    I'm falling into the habit of having copious amounts of fruit and cheese during the day, because meat and vegetables don't last in the fridge well and take time to cook, so I only do those at dinner. However it's getting to the point where I have 3 apples and a big block of cheese, maybe 5 oz. I'm guessing all the sugar is a bit much and I'm not getting enough nutrients when the bulk of my calories is from fruit and cheese, but it's so easy to reach in the fridge and eat these things!

Is it bad to eat like this? Any suggestions for what to eat when you're rushed and want something easy?

Thanks!

And, I'm 16 and not very active at all- walking about 2-4 miles/day that's it.
    Last edited by campanella; 01-08-2013 at 09:45 AM.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    because meat and vegetables don't last in the fridge well and take time to cook
    Since when?

You're 16 so benefit of the doubt to you, but you can cook a whole mess of meat and vegetables up Sunday night and eat it throughout the whole week.

I mean at the simplest you can hard boil a dozen eggs and eat them a couple at a time with some raw broccoli.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Fry a few pounds of ground beef with whatever spices suit you. Store in the fridge. Eat instead of cheese.
    The only veggies that stave off my cravings for fruit are radishes, cucumbers and rutabaga. I love all other veggies, & find them easy to steam or quickly stir-fry.

Not sure what the problem is if you are at home with the access to the fridge and the stove ???
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I live in a family where fridge food is free pickings. Hence it doesn't last long... Also I do boil eggs but my mom (a dr.) worries about the cholesterol and says no more than one a day... not worth fighting over

You're right about the raw veg. though, that's pretty easy.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you're just snacking on fruit and cheese, it shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to lose weight. Are you eating normal meals as well? The cheese is pretty energy dense, so it might not be the best idea if you're aiming for weight loss. You are fairly active for a teen and you're still growing, so who knows, but I wouldn't be concerned about the fruit.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Unless you're REALLY struggling to lose weight (or have some condition where any type of sugar is problematic for you), there's nothing wrong with having three or more servings of fruit per day.

Fruit is not "nature's candy." That title is more appropriate for things like coconut sugar and maple syrup. At age sixteen, fruit should be the least of your worries. As long as you feel good doing what you do, keep it up!

Cheese, on the other hand, is okay in modest quantities, but raw milk cheese is ideal. At the very least, try to find some that is organic and unprocessed -- avoid string cheese, sliced cheese, etc. 5 ounces a day might be a bit much for someone who's not very active. But again, the most accurate determining factor is how you feel!
    Last edited by tarek; 01-08-2013 at 04:22 PM.

casophylip is offline Junior Member
    I live in a family where fridge food is free pickings.

uhh hi Spammer?

thanks tarek and damiana

danavsbelly is offline Junior Member
    yeah,You are fairly active for a teen and you're still growing, so who knows, but I wouldn't be concerned about the fruit.thanks

melissasoua3 is offline Junior Member
    I mean at the simplest you can hard boil a dozen eggs and eat them a couple at a time with some raw broccoli.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast