Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How Long Does It Take You to Workout? page 8

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Just for the hell of it I went to the gym today and did 2x8 warmup sets then 3x8 work sets with greatly reduced weight compared to what my SS log will have me do tomorrow.

I felt like a million bucks afterward, full of energy. Plus it only took me barely 1/2 an hour. Squat, press, RDL, bench. Boom. Done.

I just can't seem to create any lasting strength with the SS program. I either overdo it and can't recover or else there's so much recovery I don't progress. Hence my sneaking suspicion that I might be ready for a good low rep high weight vs. high rep low weight discussion.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It is really stupid to believe that if I fail to lift a super heavy weight 5 times and then sit on my ass for 3 days I will magically be able to do it next time. What makes more sense is to lift lighter weight more times more often until it's so easy I can do it in my sleep.
    You know, the difference between a "succesful" and a "failed" squat or bench press depends entirely on the acceleration of the barbell. The threshold for success on planet Earth happens to be approximately 9,81 m/s^2. Anything less and you won't be able to complete the concentric portion of the lift. However, there's nothing magical about that number - and you don't actually have to beat it to grow stronger.

Having said that, eccentric training probably won't provide the best results possible.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Just for the hell of it I went to the gym today and did 2x8 warmup sets then 3x8 work sets with greatly reduced weight compared to what my SS log will have me do tomorrow.

I felt like a million bucks afterward, full of energy. Plus it only took me barely 1/2 an hour. Squat, press, RDL, bench. Boom. Done.

I just can't seem to create any lasting strength with the SS program. I either overdo it and can't recover or else there's so much recovery I don't progress. Hence my sneaking suspicion that I might be ready for a good low rep high weight vs. high rep low weight discussion.
    I don't know how long you've been busy but the very most important thing is sticking to something for a long time.
    Billie trips balls

adamm is offline Senior Member
    I lift weights Monday through Friday. Each session is about 45 minutes, except for Thursdays which are shoulder days. On Thursdays it takes me a little over an hour, because I spend a good half hour training my rotator cuff muscles after having done the heavy work.

I sprint on Sundays, but that is usually around 20 minutes. And I walk a fair amount.

--Me

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    I try to be done in an hour, 90 minutes top. usually when I combine cardio and weights its on the longer end, but that's only once or twice a week.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    I workout after 6 hours fasting (14 hours when I go sunday morning).
    My routine usually lasts 45-50 minutes, almost all is weightlifting.
    Obviously you have a low bf with all the fasting and working out, curious as to how strong you are? Bench, dead, squat numbers ect?

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Workout yesterday was about 8 minutes, followed by 5 minutes sitting so that I could walk without passing out. Today I have a good full body soreness going. Wednesday I'll do it again.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678