Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long Does It Take You to Workout? page 4

casophylip is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Partially because working out is a stress reliever so I make my stay at the gym as long as I can

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    crossfit 3x per week @ 1 hr each workout. off days: stretching, walking, sprints.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Strength training-40 min.
    Sprints-20min.
    Boxing-1hr.
    Twice a week for each.
    Long walk or other light intensity activity on off day.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Then what is the answer? Already tried 6000 calories a day..
    First off you are young and most likely don't have the hormone profile to build lots of strength and muscle yet. In any case, if you aren't responding to weight training very well, increasing the length of the workouts isn't going to work. I promise you that. It simply won't. The key is to get just the right amount of stimulation and no more. Then get adequate time away from the gym to not only recover, but to over compensate i.e. grow larger, stronger muscles. Miss any of these steps and you short circuit the process. You are probably a hard gainer and will likely never build huge muscle. The good news is that you will have a window of a few years where growth will be easier. How much? Only time will tell.

My advice? Pick a hand full of good compound exercises. By that I mean 3-5 exercises. Do each one to absolute failure, meaning that you couldn't possibly complete another rep if your life depended on it. Do then relatively slow, so as to not use any momentum to move the weights. Your goal is to contract the muscles as intensely as you can against the load, not move it from point A to B. This takes time to learn. Training intensely is not easy but it definitely build strength. Take at least 3 days off before the next workout and I'd probably take 4-5 to start. Once you dial it in, you should see progress in reps, weight each workout.

Another thing. Before doing this, take at least a week away from any strength training. You are way way way over doing it and you'll need to fully recover before you start training sensibly. I know this advice goes against CW and its pounded into us that more is better. Trust me here, it's not! I did what you are doing. It left me trashed with little or nothing to show for it. My workouts last from 5-10 minutes at most. Done properly, you couldn't do more nor would you want to. Its about intensity, not duration. Then you have lots of time to do lots of other things and that is awesome!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    First off you are young and most likely don't have the hormone profile to build lots of strength and muscle yet. In any case, if you aren't responding to weight training very well, increasing the length of the workouts isn't going to work. I promise you that. It simply won't. The key is to get just the right amount of stimulation and no more. Then get adequate time away from the gym to not only recover, but to over compensate i.e. grow larger, stronger muscles. Miss any of these steps and you short circuit the process. You are probably a hard gainer and will likely never build huge muscle. The good news is that you will have a window of a few years where growth will be easier. How much? Only time will tell.

My advice? Pick a hand full of good compound exercises. By that I mean 3-5 exercises. Do each one to absolute failure, meaning that you couldn't possibly complete another rep if your life depended on it. Do then relatively slow, so as to not use any momentum to move the weights. Your goal is to contract the muscles as intensely as you can against the load, not move it from point A to B. This takes time to learn. Training intensely is not easy but it definitely build strength. Take at least 3 days off before the next workout and I'd probably take 4-5 to start. Once you dial it in, you should see progress in reps, weight each workout.

Another thing. Before doing this, take at least a week away from any strength training. You are way way way over doing it and you'll need to fully recover before you start training sensibly. I know this advice goes against CW and its pounded into us that more is better. Trust me here, it's not! I did what you are doing. It left me trashed with little or nothing to show for it. My workouts last from 5-10 minutes at most. Done properly, you couldn't do more nor would you want to. Its about intensity, not duration. Then you have lots of time to do lots of other things and that is awesome!
    Well, SS is made for hardgainers, and phat actually hits each muscle less often. I actually plan to get back to SS as soon as I'm healed again.
    Billie trips balls

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Well, SS is made for hardgainers, and phat actually hits each muscle less often. I actually plan to get back to SS as soon as I'm healed again.
    Sorry you got hurt dude, but your numbers were getting impressive on SS. Be healthy and safe, but don't forget how much progress you made on the squat.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    If I put you through my workout and you tried to carry it on for even 30 minutes you would leave the gym in an ambulance.
    On the other hand, you wouldn't even get a chance to touch a loaded bar if you tried to do my workout in 5 minutes. I guess that just means we have different training protocols. And I suppose that makes sense - we probably have different goals as well.

Personally, I stay in the gym for approximately two hours, four days a week. That includes technique training, stretching etc.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick the Destroyer View Post
    Strenght workouts - about an hour
    Everything else - 15-20 minutes
    +1

+15 min stretching/foam rolling period afterward

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    On the other hand, you wouldn't even get a chance to touch a loaded bar if you tried to do my workout in 5 minutes. I guess that just means we have different training protocols. And I suppose that makes sense - we probably have different goals as well.

Personally, I stay in the gym for approximately two hours, four days a week. That includes technique training, stretching etc.
    Yes our goals are likely quite different. Mine is total health and fitness over the long long haul. My training is insanely intense and demanding but its over very quickly. I've been training in a similar way for about 20 years and I've never been injured, have no aches or pains whatsoever. I have endless energy and can do at 48 things I couldn't at 28. I'm never ill, don't see a doctor and take absolutely no meds. My goal is to stay as fit as I am for many many years.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the activity.
    Yoga (not meditation, proper stretching, many, many reps): 0.5-1.5h
    Weighted walking: 1h-2h
    Body-weight exercises: 10-30min
    Weighted exercises: 20-45min
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast