Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bless me Grok for I have sinned page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Bless me Grok for I have sinned

Primal Fuel
    I have picked up some winter crud thing. No temp, but lots of snot and I've felt like I was on the verge of puking for the last three days. Apple cider vinegar helped for short periods of time, as did a couple of tablespoons of vodka - each for maybe an hour or two. (Really, I've been so sick, I haven't even wanted to drink alcohol or coffee.)

So, finally in desperation, I went back to a non-primal comfort food from my past: about 3 oz of pasta with nothing on it except parmesan cheese (like 2 tblsp) and some black pepper. And for the first time in three days, I don't feel like my intestines are trying to escape my body.

So, what gives? What could I have used as a substitute? I avoid wheat for overall health, but it really only occasionally gives me gas.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I always go for slimy rice in these cases, but if pasta does the trick, why not stay with it for a bit, if it makes you feel better? The idea is to kick what makes you feel worse in some way after all.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I read a really interesting paper by some researchers who were trying to figure out why women had cravings/food aversion during pregnancy. So they did a survey to collect data about what types of food they craved/had aversions to. The results were almost universal; they craved dairy and carbs (including fruit) and had aversions to meat and vegetables.

They theorized this was due to the fact that during pregnancy, women's immune system are downregulated, so they are less able to deal with potential food poisoning/bacterial/parasitic contamination which is much more likely to happen eating meat and vegetables. To deal with this, the body kicks in by making the women have aversions to these potentially harmful foods while craving foods that are 'safer' to eat.

What does this have to do with you? Well, it's pretty common that when people get sick (with GI-related symptoms) they tend to only be able to eat bland carbohydrates (like pasta or rice). Maybe this is because when the body is currently dealing with some kind of bacterial or viral intruder and the last thing it wants it for something else potentially harmful to slip in while it's preoccupied with the current situation.

I don't think that having some pasta or saltines or whatever is such a problem if it makes you feel better (and you also don't seem to react to gluten). If it really bothers you, you could try some rice or rice noodles (which is what I eat if I'm dealing with a weird GI thing).

cruncan is offline Member
    Not too long ago, I was really really sick. I had a 104 temp, chills, stuffy nose, sore throat, etc. Well.. I continued to eat primal and it lasted for 4 days. Awful. My mother finally forced me to eat chicken noodle soup and presto! I felt better instantly and was over it within a day! IDK the science of why this is.. but, it looks like pasta during a sickness might be the bomb.com!
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

http://www.hustleformuscle.com

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Joanie - you wee poppet.....love and hugs coming to you from Nouvelle Zealande.
    I hope that you feel better soon
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I would try rice next time instead of pasta. Not strictly Primal, but not toxic either. I've been sick recently too, I've found that homemade chicken stock and white rice with butter and salt are my friends. Rice isn't something I usually do on a regular basis, but I think it helps for a similar reason when I'm sick. Pasta wouldn't be a good idea for me though because I am most definitely gluten intolerant.

Thanks everyone. I don't have any rice in the house at present. In fact to get to the pasta in the "hurricane rations," I had to do a bit of digging. And butter I think I would have hurled. Rice and salt or rice and parmesan often help.

I wish I had a mom-type person to cook me chicken soup. Anyway, it was just the one serving, and the wee bit of gas was well worth it to have to not sit with my hands on my stomach wondering if I were going to need a bucket.

Now I just feel sick from the throat up. I hate being sick.

Love and hugs back to you, Gwamma.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

BestBetter, I found that info to be really interesting. At first I thought, Lord if I'm pregnant, we're talking the second coming! LOL. But then you tied it all in. Thank you.

B*tch-lite

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Pho with rice noodles is magic I think. Spicy, hot, tasty. You can leave the noodles if you want. Great comfort food for the sick - really helps me clear out my sinuses when I add extra chili peppers and limes.
    ad astra per aspera

mooreallty is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yeah,if it makes you feel better? The idea is to kick what makes you feel worse in some way after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast