Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bless me Grok for I have sinned page 2

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been on a lower-carb (than USDA/FDA/CW recommends - even when I go way off plan, it's still lower than "recommended") way of life since 2003.... I've noticed that along with eating better-sourced protein and REALLY cutting out the additives (like, being mildly OCD about it), I barely get sick... but that's not your question

I find that when I'm sick, upping carbs is helpful, if not necessary, to help my body heal. It takes a lot of energy to be sick! I haven't had a chance to try this out yet, but if/when I get a cold next, I'll add a bunch of starchy root veg (hashbrowns are a major comfort food for me), maybe some noodles, and possibly some sprouted bread (toasted [with a bit of a burn if you're nauseous] with chopped raw garlic, butter & sea salt on top).... I have little-to-no sensitivity to gluten though.

re: pregnancy sickness, etc.
    I didn't have any morning sickness with my pregnancy, but I did have INTENSE "I need to eat RIGHT NAO" moments, which came on all of a sudden. I've read that something in our brain chemistry makes the signals for intense hunger very similar to those for nausea (kind of like pleasure and pain are the same receptors)... and most of the people I've known with morning sickness are able to keep it at bay by just constantly nibbling on something... I found I needed to eat more often while pregnant too, and yes, I craved pineapple and bagels (I have never craved carbs IN MY ENTIRE LIFE), and sour gummy worms - blech.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    I would try rice next time instead of pasta. Not strictly Primal, but not toxic either. I've been sick recently too, I've found that homemade chicken stock and white rice with butter and salt are my friends. Rice isn't something I usually do on a regular basis, but I think it helps for a similar reason when I'm sick. Pasta wouldn't be a good idea for me though because I am most definitely gluten intolerant.
    wow what a coincidence. I had a cold this week (very very rare for me) and one day i just gave into my craving for hot buttered rice (cooked in chicken stock). YUM!!! Actually i freaking love hot buttered rice anyway (tho i am disciplined and don't eat it) but it tasted extra awesome being under the weather in blah weather.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's probably just the salt.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    the hot buttered rice? for me it's mentally truly a treat/reward. it was what we got for "seconds" in elementary school. Tho since that was the 70's i'm pretty sure that was margarine we were pigging out on.

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    I believe in trusting your body. Sounds like you did that! Good job and feel better

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    As I recall I did not crave carbs while pregnant nor did I have morning sickness, thankfully as I was working as a chef at the time and had to handle some pretty strong smelling stuff, filleting fish, cutting up huge hunks of meat. I distinctly remember enjoying the prime ribs I roasted on Fridays, true I had them with a baked potato with lots of sour cream, but that wasn't the main attraction for me.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So they did a survey to collect data about what types of food they craved/had aversions to. The results were almost universal; they craved dairy and carbs (including fruit) and had aversions to meat and vegetables.
    That describes me 24/7/365. Pregnant or not, I want dairy and fruit above anything else, and fish. If I had no health and aestetic concerns, I would mostly eat fish, fruit and yogurt
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12