Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Search of Greener Pastures page 2

RandyStimpson is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Glad to see things are improving for you.

In regard to miscarriages consider getting a DNA test. You can order one at 23AndMe.com for just $99. The information will give you doctor additional information to work with.

My brother-in-law's wife had somewhere around 10 miscarriages. They kept trying and eventually had a son but due to heart defects he needed surgery at the age of 2. I can't help but wonder if all the miscarriages were due to genetic issues. They love their son dearly and wouldn't give him up for the world, but they are also suffering through a lot of heart ache.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    10,000 iu daily

So, today I had my first real fall off the wagon. The dumb part? I had convinced myself that it was a "healthy" food. It's one thing to be seduced by a food that is completely wrong, but one that is a gray area is just dumb.
    So, here's what happened. Yesterday I was still feeling sick and rotten from my seaweed allergy, and I decided I wanted to try to bake something that I could eat. So I bought a can of pumpkin. I used two cans of coconut milk, 4 eggs... and a cup of turbinado sugar. Unfortunately, my hubby didn't like it and I have the self-control of a two year old so... I ate. The. Whole. THING!
    The next morning I figured out the calories and carbs. 1320 calories. 280 carbs.
    Sheesh, how do I even put myself together after a crash like that?? It really was a perfect storm. A combination of being sick, and wanting to try something new.
    All right, that's enough feeling sorry for myself. Now to figure out a plan of bouncing back.
    1. I'm going to do some fasting. I've been dabbling in it. So, today I will do a 24 fast starting now.
    2. I will take an hour long walk today.
    3. To prevent future falls, before I try new recipes I am going to figure out the calories and carbs so I know what I'm going into.

Yay! I am recommitted! I can do this! I am going to regain my health, lose that last 7-8 pounds and have a healthy baby.
    Can I hear an amen?

Feeling a lot better today. I walked yesterday and I fasted yesterday and broke my fast late last night when I got really hungry, so I ate a couple of eggs and some bacon. This morning I feel great. I feel like my resolve is back. A friend who is a fellow primal let me borrow a low-carb cookbook. There are some great recipes in it. So far I have been great at cutting dairy, but I had salsa a couple times and can't seem to quit using cayenne pepper! Although I have been great at cutting potatoes. Well, I guess I'll keep working at it a little at a time. Two steps forward, one step back, but it's progress!

Oh, and Randy, hubby and I are getting DNA tested at the doctors office on Monday along with other recurrent pregnancy loss testing. Wish us luck!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Why are you cutting dairy? Full-fat dairy is associated with higher fertility.

I'm cutting it temporarily because I'm trying to figure out if I have allergies/sensitivies. People with autoimmune problems tend to have problems with certain foods. Hopefully I'll be able to add it back with no problems.

Ok,

Time for an update. Life has been super crazy the past couple weeks. I've been in the city for the past week doing testing, an HSG, doctors appointments and today I have an MRI. It looks like there's a major problem with the shape of my uterus. They think it's a complete bicornuate, so they are doing an MRI to get a final diagnosis. It's frustrating that all the blood testing has come back negative. The interesting thing is that both my regular doctor and my naturopathic doctor think my body is intolerant to gluten. I've also come to the conclusion that I can't eat dairy, because when I do I get really congested and my throat gets clogged with mucus. Gross. It makes me feel like I can't breathe. I gained back a couple of pounds because I haven't been able to exercise, I've cheated and eaten other grains a couple times and I've been emotional eating just because this whole trip is so stressful. I just can't wait till we get home and I can get back to life as usual. It's so much harder to eat right when you aren't at home.
    So, here is the plan to help me with emotional eating and sticking to my grain-free, dairy-free living:
    1. I am going to keep a food journal for a couple weeks.
    2. Even though I am not at home, I am going to go for a couple 20-30 minute walks this week.
    3. When I start getting sad/stressed/overwhelmed I am going to write about my feelings in the journal.
    I think this will help me stay on track. One of the big problems is that I told myself, "well maybe I can eat and handle non-gluten grains". I have finally come to the conclusion that I really can't eat grains. End of story. They just don't make me feel good.

Want to know some great news? My MOM has started eating primal! And she feels GREAT! She has always struggled with her weight and now she is finally feeling good and losing it! I'm so excited for her!

Yay! Being back home is so great! Taking those walks and keeping a food diary the past few days has really helped. I feel like I am back on track. Eating right, cooking my own meals, exercising. The emotional eating went away once I got home (huge stress relief) and got more fat back in my diet.
    I got a new exercise video in the mail. Ballet! It's something I always wanted to try. I really liked it. It really worked a lot of muscles.
    Yesterday was simply gorgeous. A warm, sunny February day in Alaska. It was so nice that I decided to go on a short hike with my husband instead of doing house cleaning or homework. It was wonderful.
    It has been very interesting to be keeping a food diary. It actually makes it easier to pay attention to want I'm eating. Also, it's a good way to make sure I get the right amount of calories, fats and limit my carbs.
    All in all, life is good and I am plugging forward. Wow, I really am amazed that I've been doing pretty well at sticking to the primal lifestyle.

Well, things have been really great (except for a fasting fiasco that didn't end well). I started weight lifting yesterday. I'm excited about that. I am planning on doing sprints this afternoon. My recent goals have been to add sprinting once a week and weight lifting twice a week. I am going to keep up the other exercise I have been doing. I try to exercise 2-3 times a week and I mix it up and do something different every time. So far I've tried ballet, belly dance, Richard Simon aerobics, plyometrics, hiking, yoga and I am having a ball.
    I've been feeling really sad because me and my husband did a TON of recurrent pregnancy loss testing and only one thing has come back as abnormal. Which is my prolactin level. It was 39 which isn't really high enough to worry about. My midwife thinks I am doing really well on my diet and thinks me and my husband could start trying again. She was really impressed with how well I'm eating.
    There has been some pretty incredible new though. My thyroid TSH levels came back at .4!!! Six weeks ago it was 5.11! I guess my diet and a slightly higher med is doing the trick! Also, I am completely baffled, they checked my thyroid antibodies and there weren't ANY!! That is so crazy! I really couldn't believe it. Maybe all this healthy eating really is changing my health. Sheesh, I have seen so many amazing things with this diet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast