Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pine Bark Flours page 6

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Can someone just please pass the twinkies so we can move forward...Eat the bark, or don't! It's an individuals choice, plain and simple...next!
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    But it's not, is it? I'd argue that the use of fire to cook our foods is the greatest contribution to our evolution.

We have never had a carnivorous digestive track, nor did we evolve as primarily hunters from day one. We evolved from mostly vegetarian primates to meat-eating omnivores to digest meat, not the other way around, and not o e extreme to another. We didn't go from herbivore to carnivore, we went from herbivore (primate relatives) to omnivore. We have never been physiological carnivores, so how could a carnivorous diet be optimal to our evolution? Convenient does not equal optimal. We evolved to survive, but survive does not equal thrive. Historically, there has never been an abundance of nose-to-tail foods like there is today. The same argument about eating animals can be made; "we ate animals when plants were scarce."

Because historically, humans always had this luxury at their disposal?!
    Ketosis is the state we are born in and it would be the default state for more people if they got out of their own way and stopped eating so much sugar. The above mentioned book makes the case very convincingly that, in extreme cold climatic conditions of the ice ages we would have eaten mostly meat (lettuce doesn't grow in permafrost.)

I never said we were carnivores, omnivores heavy on the meat light on the veggies when times were good and heavier on the veggies in times of need.

I totally agree with you about cooking but what does that have to do with the price of tree bark in Finland?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ketosis is the state we are born in
    No it's not. It takes several days post-birth for the pathways to develop and adaptation to occur. We are born sugar-burners, commonly become benignly hypoglycemic after birth, and rapidly adapt to compensate for our loss of constant glucose supply in the womb. Ketones are only up to 25% of energy fuel for an infant. And studies show that as few as 47 infants out of 21,342 were in strong ketosis. No surprise considering breast milk is comprised of 40% carbohydrate.

The above mentioned book makes the case very convincingly that, in extreme cold climatic conditions of the ice ages we would have eaten mostly meat (lettuce doesn't grow in permafrost.)
    You're postulating that all humans during every ice age endured the most frigid climates and none lived in or migrated to the warmer climates or ate tubers and nuts in cold storage? Oh, and animal sources were so plentiful through all of these times because the animals magically had plants to eat but humans did not, so we just feasted on animals because they were so easily accessed. This is not an accurate account of dietary evolution, especially because human populations weren't concentrated in colder climates until upper Paleolithic, usually after the planet heated up again, and necessary hunting tools weren't widely used in lower Paleolithic, another element critical to acquiring consistent animal foods.

I never said we were carnivores, omnivores heavy on the meat light on the veggies when times were good and heavier on the veggies in times of need.
    That is simply untrue. Regional differences dictated early human diet. There has never been a universally meat-centric human diet. There are countless variations from region to region, and even day to day. You are asserting that plant-heavy diets are inferior, which simply isn't true. Lower meat intake does not automatically equate to a period of famine or "need." That's just nonsense, kitavans and thousands of modern dietary plant-centric centenarians being evidence of this.

I totally agree with you about cooking but what does that have to do with the price of tree bark in Finland?
    Sorry, misread original statement.
    Last edited by j3nn; 01-13-2013 at 01:35 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    As much as I love them, why has this thread turned into a carb debate? The spammer is trying to sell us TREE BARK. If I'm that desperate for nutrients there are heaps of minerals in the dirt in my front garden - and it's free.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Hey I dunno, I'd try it as a flavouring. Well, except I'm allergic to pine resin. Damn.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    As much as I love them, why has this thread turned into a carb debate? The spammer is trying to sell us TREE BARK. If I'm that desperate for nutrients there are heaps of minerals in the dirt in my front garden - and it's free.
    It is tedious isn't it? Sorry about that. Someone felt the need to snipe at me because I was saying exactly what you are saying here^^^^^and try to *make* the argument about me excluding some foods from my diet.

But the point is that tree bark is NOT food. Choosing not to chew on the leg of my dining room table is not relevant to what foods I do or do not eat. Separate subjects.

It is tedious isn't it? Sorry about that. Someone felt the need to snipe at me because I was saying exactly what you are saying here^^^^^and try to *make* the argument about me excluding some foods from my diet.

But the point is that tree bark is NOT food. Choosing not to chew on the leg of my dining room table is not relevant to what foods I do or do not eat. Separate subjects.
    Now you're the innocent victim, lol! You came into a thread berating someone's choice of food. Who decides what is and what isn't considered food? Many people say dairy, milk specifically, is not human food, it's for baby mammals.

Why did you feel the need to come into this thread if you do not like when someone challenges your assertions of what is ideal? Not everyone wants to gnaw on an animal product every time they eat. Get over it. It doesn't make for an inferior diet makeup.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Yum. Tree bark.
    That's all I said. Since when is that "berating" anybody? Give it a rest J3nn.

That's all I said. Since when is that "berating" anybody? Give it a rest J3nn.
    And then in your following posts you went on and on about how it's a terrible food choice and it's not real food. You replied to my first post in this thread when I wasn't even talking to you mocking the nutritional value of it. Stop playing the victim card when you know you brought nothing but negativity into this thread with your condescending tone in every single post you made.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    OK, now we're down to "tone" arguments. Like I said, give it a rest. Or go eat a pine tree. I really don't care.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast