Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer???? page 2

youtacolot is offline Member
    My favorite "reduced gluten" beer is Omission Omission Beer - Drinking is Believing *
    My second fav is Tweasonale by Dogfish, but its a bit wacky (has strawberry in it). Tweason'ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales
    I also brew my own beer and add this product, which allegedly reduces the gluten WLN4000 Clarity Ferm | White Labs
    I believe Mark did a post once that the average ppm of gluten in beer is 60 or so compared to 6000 for bread. If so, 100 beers = 1 slice of bread assuming you visualize a bread slice that is the same mass as the beer.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by youtacolot View Post
    My favorite "reduced gluten" beer is Omission Omission Beer - Drinking is Believing *
    My second fav is Tweasonale by Dogfish, but its a bit wacky (has strawberry in it). Tweason'ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales
    I also brew my own beer and add this product, which allegedly reduces the gluten WLN4000 Clarity Ferm | White Labs
    I believe Mark did a post once that the average ppm of gluten in beer is 60 or so compared to 6000 for bread. If so, 100 beers = 1 slice of bread assuming you visualize a bread slice that is the same mass as the beer.
    Clarity Ferm is an interesting product. There is a local brewery here in Colorado that uses it in everything but wheat beers and has their beer tested in a lab for gluten. They consistantly get results that are technically low enough to be considered gluten free, however they label it as "gluten reduced." I doubt it would work with a wheat beer, but with normal barley based beer I have heard nothing but good things.

I drink high quality craft beer often, usually not made with Clarity Ferm, and I do fine with it. I do notice that wheat beers do seem to have a minor effect on me, but not beers made from things like barley or rye. The next batch of homebrew I do will definitely include the Clarity Ferm enzyme. It is effective, and also very cheap!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I like good craft beer, but find that I rarely drink it on a weekly basis any more. Usually wine or bourbon.

However, every year when I do the Great American Beer Festival, the day that I focus on trying wheat beers absolutely WRECKS me. I don't know if it's the wheat, or the fact that I average 120 samples per tasting session, but...

It's good to see that there are others on the board that not only drink beer occasionally, but homebrew as well! I consider beer my 20% and am working towards perfecting my homebrewing techniques. All while keeping primal and currently losing weight!
    Starting weight: 230 lbs
    Current weight: 190 lbs
    Goal weight: ~145 lbs

paint94979 is online now Senior Member
    I have homebrewed since 2007, with that said I rarely drink beer anymore ha. I am noticing that I may have overreacted initially blaming wheat as an issue for me. My body retains water if I pig out on late at night, get drunk on anything, and too much salt without drinking enough water. Due to the inflammation wheat causes in the body I have reduced my beer consumption to a few pints of Pliny the Elder a few times a month which is the 5 year running Best Beer in America.
    Last edited by paint94979; 12-04-2013 at 11:36 AM.

youtacolot is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
    Due to the inflammation wheat causes in the body I have reduced my beer consumption to a few pints of Pliny the Elder a few times a month which is the 5 year running Best Beer in America.
    I would probably trade ALL my monthly beer consumption for a few pints of Pliny every month. Rarely can I get it here out East.

Quote Originally Posted by youtacolot View Post
    I would probably trade ALL my monthly beer consumption for a few pints of Pliny every month. Rarely can I get it here out East.
    Russian River Brewing is about 30 minutes from my house if you want any I have shipped bottles for friends before.

I started homebrewing this year, so I'm only three batches in. However, I really love making it. Almost more than drinking it. I have a long way to go before I hit good beer. What I have now is drinkable, but only because I know I made it!

I can't get Russian River in New Mexico either. Pliny the elder is on my list to try. I'll get a chance some day.
    Starting weight: 230 lbs
    Current weight: 190 lbs
    Goal weight: ~145 lbs

I must say there is no better alcoholic drink than a fresh Pliny

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I home brewed obsessively for 5 years, built several automated systems, produced more beer than I could reasonably drink, gained 50+ pounds of useless fat and my body finally told me to shut it down. Haven't touched it in two years and don't foresee drinking anytime soon. My problem would be that I could drink one and the next week drink another and a bit more and assume that I won't gain any weight so what the heck, one a night and then I'm a fat pig again.

If you can drink a few and not be unhealthy - enjoy the privilege, have one for me!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast