Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Dairy make you Constipated? page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since you're in CA., look up Organic Pastures online. They sell in the Sprouts stores where I am but they also deliver. They have a whole line of raw dairy, milk, cream, cheese, kefir. They have a store locator thing on the website. Organic Pastures is the largest raw dairy around. Good stuff.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    emmie
    I've been on primal 8 weeks, but for the last 1.5 weeks I've also been on an antiobiotic and have not been as careful. I figure the antiobiotic is busy killing all the good bacteria as fast as possible. I'm also preparing for next week, buying a chest freezer and studying grass-fed farm lists, cleaning out the garage so we have a place to put the freezer, etc.

Diamiana
    Sodium seems to be in everything. It takes some time to completely change living . eating habits.

Paleobird
    Yup! I went hog wild on greens at first. Now I've sort of backed off the hog wild part and eat more roots than greens. What proportion should that be?

Timthetaco
    My problems were sure big to me anyway. 10 weeks ago I thought I was dying. I'm certainly guilty of over enthusiam here. But the results have been astounding. Other people comment on how much more energy I have. I feel good most of the time. All the other problems are gone, the last on is constipation. Yes, maybe others will soon show up. And probably my enthusiam will crash, but please don't pop my bubble just yet.

I think bubble-popping may happen when I go for another blood test for cholesterol, and I'm postponing that test for a few months. The whole 7-8 year series of problems started with Kaiser's Cholesterol Center, they're after me with intent to kill. They never give up. I'm allergic to every statin and also other non-statin drugs. For years I took 2000 iu Naicin daily and I've quit that also because one long term possible side-effect is stomach problems. Prior to this my Cholesterol was 530, which sent the Center mad. If this diet works it will be like a miracle. But if it does not lower the Cholesterol I'm going to ignore it. I'd rather die of a heart attack than live as I was.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's comments and help.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    emmie
    I've been on primal 8 weeks, but for the last 1.5 weeks I've also been on an antiobiotic and have not been as careful. I figure the antiobiotic is busy killing all the good bacteria as fast as possible.
    Paleobird
    Yup! I went hog wild on greens at first. Now I've sort of backed off the hog wild part and eat more roots than greens. What proportion should that be?
    Aha! The antibiotics can definitely be a factor.
    As Ozti is fond of telling anybody who will listen, spuds, and roots in general, form what is called "resistant starch" in your intestines and this is considered as the third kind of fiber (along with soluble and insoluble). So all plant matter gives you fiber even if it's mashed parsnips instead of celery.
    As far as how much you should be consuming....let your guts decide that. The end product of resistant starch digestion by your gut flora (who are rather beaten up right now due to your recent bout of antibiotics) is butyrate. Another handy way to get butyrate in your diet is to eat butter (where butyrate gets its name). All that fiber is just not necessary. The myth that we *need* fibre is, IMO, a holdover from CW that should go the way of "healthywholegrains".

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird
    Thank you. This afternoon I'm off to Sprouts. Does cheese made from raw milk also contain casin? Is there any kind of raw cheese that does not?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Paleobird
    Thank you. This afternoon I'm off to Sprouts. Does cheese made from raw milk also contain casin? Is there any kind of raw cheese that does not?
    AFAIK, all dairy contains some casein. Do you know if your problem with dairy is with the lactose or with the casein? If it's the lactose, raw dairy will work really well for you. If it's the casein, then you may be better off waiting until your gut flora are better off to re-introduce any dairy.

One way to get the good probiotics without dairy is coconut kefir, sometimes called "cultured" coconut milk. Also sold at Sprouts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12