Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel worse than before going Primal. Any suggestions?? page

Drummer1 is offline Junior Member

I feel worse than before going Primal. Any suggestions??

Shop Now
    I recently started eating Primal (7 weeks ago) and since I've started I feel worse than I did before. I'm about 15lbs overweight so I wanted to lose some weight and generally just feel better day in and day out. I was pretty healthy before going Primal. (No processed foods, fast food, etc) and still felt a bit sluggish so I decided to go Primal. Recently I've felt even more sluggish, anxiety, random aches and pains, chest pains (short spurts) and generally less healthy. I even visited the doctor and he thinks that I'm struggling with GERD and gave me nexium (which I didn't take). I thought that primal/paleo diets get rid of gerd but that's another topic all together.
    So, my longwinded questions is: Have you had anyone that had similiar effects after going primal/paleo? And do you have any suggestions or common mistakes that people make when making the switch from a normal diet to paleo? I just don't feel very healthy and really want to feel ALIVE again!
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Your body is healing. You feel like crap while your body repairs and recovers.

Give it some more time to adjust before you give up on it.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    What Drumroll said. It's commonly referred to as carb-flu and it's pretty typical during the first few transitional weeks. Hell, I get carb flu if I fall of the wagon for a few days. Your body is essentially withdrawing from the sugar bombs it was used to with regular grain consumption. It'll pass, and soon you'll feel amazing!

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    What version of primal. Give us examples of your daily fare

Park is offline Junior Member
    I'm right there with you. Same story. I don't know what happened today but something changed. I was so pissed last night. I just couldn't take it any more. So, this morning I started on lypo-sheric vitamin C with every meal and have been studying Buteyko breathing. Anything to feel good again. I ate some kimchi with my eggs this morning and that cleared me out. Ever since I just felt different. Better in a way. My heart is thumping right now which has become common. But my head is clear. I suppose that is the new change. At least, my head is clear. I'm pretty sure I have hyperinsulinemia and hypoglycemia and probably several other things but today has given me hope.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Drummer1, first, you did the right thing with visiting the Doc. Ultimately you have to be the judge on the diet. As someone mentioned, it would help if you tell us what you're eating on an average day.

As for me, I know when I went Primal, my chronic heartburn disappeared almost immediately. I was taking 2 Pepcid Complete everyday before switching. Now, on the very rare occassion I get heartburn, it's because I decided to "treat" myself and eat a bunch of sugar.

We can all tell you to stick it out, make it past the carb-flu, but you have to make the decision yourself. Also, if you think there may be something wrong, have your Doc monitor you while you are getting used to Primal eating. See if things are changing for the positive after another month or so.

Good luck!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Can you give us an honest example of what your daily menu and workout plan looks like? It is hard to help without those details. I had horrible allergies/indigestion and reflux that almost immediately went away and never came back when I went strict Paleo.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Diet is just one (albeit very important!) aspect of living primally. What is your sleep like? How about stress? Are you making time for exercise and play? You can be eating perfectly primally but if you're stressed to the gills, overworked and underslept and haven't made time to have a social life in those past seven weeks, you're gonna feel like crap.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Go see an ND, L.Ac! You can spend the next year hacking 20 different things or you can go to a doctor that actually knows about this stuff.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Go see an ND, L.Ac! You can spend the next year hacking 20 different things or you can go to a doctor that actually knows about this stuff.
    Trouble is they don't always.
    It could be lots of factors, once he answers all the above questions, there may be a solution for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast