Thread: Tim Noakes page

zilog is offline Senior Member

Tim Noakes

Primal Fuel
    I'm very interested in the work in Noakes' book waterlogged which basically turns conventional theories about hydration on their head. Noakes recommends constant (60-100g per hour) sugar intake during marathons/ultras etc. HOWEVER since publishing this book Noakes has had a complete reversal with regards to carbs and is now TOTALLY low-carb as far as I can tell.

Anyone know how he rationalises his hydration theory with his low-carb lifestyle? I.e. what does he recommend now for fuel during endurance events? Or are we going to have to wait until his next book?!

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Not directly answering your questions but discussing the book - you may find it fills in a few things for you.

Waterlogged – A Dogma-Shattering Book?

Yes that's a great article - the very one that got me interested in the book in the first place in fact!

However it (and everything else I've found discussing the book) were written before Noakes' low-carb epiphany. Can't find anything that talks about his work in a low-carb context.

rockrunner Guest
    Not sure exactly when Noakes went low carb but think it was a couple years before Waterlogged was released...he just didn't it announce the low carb part till later. So Waterlogged is already adjusted for his diet, his carb recommendation of 60 - 100g is probably for someone who may not be fat-adapted who would otherwise be consuming higher amounts of carbs. I'm no expert on this at all just my own impressions about it.

rockrunner Guest
    Here is a recent interview with Tim Noakes, near the beginning he says he has been low carb a little over 2 years...Jimmy Moore is the host, I'm not familiar with Jimmy Moore but it might be interesting.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/s...imothy-noakes/

Thanks, I'll check it out at the weekend

Mark Rolfe is offline Junior Member
    Hi Zilog,

Just signed up today, going through the forums and I saw your post.

Tim Noakes' new book "Challenging Beliefs" contains chapters about the benefits of a low-carb high protein diet. You can get the kindle version at the link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Challenging-...8427326&sr=8-1

I have the hard back version but not started it. I'm originally from the UK but recently moved to Cape Town where he is stationed and is kind of a big deal.

Hope this helps...

Mark

Tim Noakes' new book "Challenging Beliefs" contains chapters about the benefits of a low-carb high protein diet.
    Thanks, that looks interesting! I'll probably get it and read it this weekend.

MrT
    MrT is offline Junior Member
    Great read Challenging Beliefs. Especially when he apologizes about everything he wrote about carbs in Lore of Running. Simply says "tear the chapters out". Also great chapter on getting central governor with regards to limits to performance. His the reason I went primal and his research is always thought unbiased and isn't afraid to admit when his wrong. He based his Paleo approach on his research on the Banting Diet.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    Great read Challenging Beliefs. Especially when he apologizes about everything he wrote about carbs in Lore of Running. Simply says "tear the chapters out". Also great chapter on getting central governor with regards to limits to performance. His the reason I went primal and his research is always thought unbiased and isn't afraid to admit when his wrong. He based his Paleo approach on his research on the Banting Diet.
    I've never heard of the man, but I sure have to respect a guy when he admits he made a mistake, and then apologizes for it. I might just give him a nod by picking up his newest book.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan