Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot running, calves hurting, bad technique? page 2

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    OK seriously, my calves hurt more than my chest after a lifting session!! So doing a fairly vigorous run to raise my pulse when I work out (nothing chronic) and the next day my calves are so sore. I swear my technique is ok!

any suggestions at all?!

cheers

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    I remember my first run after switching to ball of the foot running. Calves were on fire for a few days. Eventually, it'll just be old hat and you calves wont burn anymore.
    I grok, therefore I am.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    I rarely run, and before yesterday I hadn't run for more than a month. I've had my VFF's for a few months, but I've probably only worn them a dozen times or so. The first time I ran in my VFF's, I took it easy and jogged for about 15 minutes. I had mild to moderate calf burn for about two days afterward.

Yesterday I went for a walk (asphalt) in my VFF's while pushing a baby stroller, and I decided to do some impromptu "sprints". I wasn't running all-out...maybe more like 75%, where I would typically run at < 50%. I did 10-15 seconds of running, and rested until I was fully recovered. I repeated this about 10 times. I was very conscious of landing on the balls of my feet, to the point where I was slightly worried that I would strain my foot somehow. However, the feeling of heel strike when wearing VFF's or going barefoot on asphalt is so unpleasant that my body basically forced me to run on the balls.

Today I have almost no calf soreness. Just the tiniest bit, and it's definitely a "good sore" versus "ouch sore". Bottom line is that you should push a baby stroller when you run in your VFF's. Either that or cut back on your distance/time until the soreness subsides, then slowly build up from there.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Just be careful not to injure your foot. I started wearing my VFFs out on regular runs too soon and injured my foot, evidently. My calves weren't really sore after those runs, but I hurt my foot pretty badly. I've been limping for almost two weeks now...

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Could be that when you get tired, you're pushing off the balls of your feet more, leading to calf soreness. Do you do any kind of exercises to check your form (like ChiRunning and such)? I found that focusing on relaxing my legs helps, especially if I'm trying to relax so that I don't feel calf involvement. I'm super-new to BF running, but my first time out I ran a mile and my calves hurt so badly that I could barely walk for a day or two. A couple weeks later, I don't have any calf soreness when I run BF, so I guess I'm just strengthening and adjusting everything...

synntropy is offline Junior Member
    if you are not allowing your heels to drop, this can make your calves more sore than otherwise would be. Have you been having any heel or foot arch pain? especially in the morning? Are you getting blisters anywhere?

here's a guide someone made for transitioning to barefoot. I haven't used it but it would have been nice when I had started.
    http://www.runningquest.net/2009/10/...-run-shodless/ links is WFS

some cues that might work
    allow your heel to "kiss" the ground. The BOF should still hit first
    Think of using your whole foot
    Last edited by synntropy; 05-12-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: adding in some thoughs

synntropy is offline Junior Member
    can you post a video of your running?

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by synntropy View Post
    if you are not allowing your heels to drop, this can make your calves more sore than otherwise would be. Have you been having any heel or foot arch pain? especially in the morning? Are you getting blisters anywhere?

here's a guide someone made for transitioning to barefoot. I haven't used it but it would have been nice when I had started.
    http://www.runningquest.net/2009/10/...-run-shodless/ links is WFS

some cues that might work
    allow your heel to "kiss" the ground. The BOF should still hit first
    Think of using your whole foot
    THat link is great buddy thanks, Im pretty sure Im not relying on the ball and im using the whole foot. It feel very natural. But it appears from that, that it can take a really long time for your body to adapt so Ill just have to hold on and maybe not go bare foot for my more intense gym warmup - for now

dont have video atm, might get somethin done though

cancerguy99 is offline Member
    My WOD yesterday was 5 rounds of 400m run, 150 Jump Rope singles (can't do doubles yet) and 20 toes to bar. My calves are on fire today from the running and jumping in my VFFs. I totally expected it becuase I have always jumped rope barefoot when possible and the midsole strike really does activate the calves.

My only problem is when I get tired I fall back to heel striking and they really hurt today!!!

pk79 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I may be late for this response, but if that's hurting your calves, back off. You'll pull something quick if you over do it. Look at therunningbarefoot.com for tips. Vibrams are awesome, but you'll overdo it without knowing it if you're calves and feet aren't used to it. For months, i just walked in them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast