Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why arguing with 30bananas people is pointless... page 3

QueenOfTheDwarrows is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    The raw vegan movement has much in common with a religious cult, that’s for sure, and as in all religious movements, argumentation by logic alone will take you nowhere. That said, incorporating more raw food into our diet I think is a very good idea. I eat most of my food according to the paleo principles, but I also try to get most of my vegetables RAW and I also incorporates some uncooked food from the animal kingdom as well.
    I agree about it being a cult! I "got into" raw food at a young age (18) and felt that raw food was the only way to be healthy. For everybody! It took a lot of convincing for me to turn to primal/paleo as I'd been brainwashed by the vegans for about 5 years. but once i made the switch, it just clicked. Now I wouldn't recommend rawveganism or just plain veganism to anybody

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that part of the reason paleo and vegans react so strongly to each other is because they are so much alike.

A bit like australians and new zealanders. Ahem.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I was a fat, sick, unhappy vegan. I became a seriously ill raw vegan, for awhile.

I'm doing much better without soy, corn, wheat, and tofu, thankyouverymuch.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    There's a disconnect at the logic level between the two camps, imo.
    Raw vegan: MORE food (inefficient digestion/low nutrient) is good.
    Primleo (cooked): less food (high nutrient/efficient digestion) is good.

It seems to me that volume is not always a good thing, but efficiency is - can I get what I need from a small amount of food and thereby decrease my footprint on the earth? The sheer quantity makes me feel that raw vegan is a first-world, rich person's diet. The fact that its promoters stress HOW MUCH they get to eat does rather play into the ED mindset (I write as someone with ED issues).

One thing that did strike me as odd from the video - bingeing on meat, dairy and eggs. Really? Don't most people binge on salty or sweet fatty carbs? Of course, one point of commonality is that both raw veganism and primleo minimise/eradicate such trigger foods.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    badgergirl that got me too. I was a huge binger and never binged on good foods like that. It was all fake nasty shit.

QueenOfTheDwarrows is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    One thing that did strike me as odd from the video - bingeing on meat, dairy and eggs. Really? Don't most people binge on salty or sweet fatty carbs? Of course, one point of commonality is that both raw veganism and primleo minimise/eradicate such trigger foods.
    in my experience, it's incredibly hard to binge on meat, dairy and eggs. my bingey foods are always carbs!

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    The video saying Nicki Violetti was FAT was just... infuriating.
    a. she was pregnant at the time, according to her hubby, Robb Wolf
    b. she doesn't look fat... it's not the most flattering angle/picture, but if that's FAT, I know a lot of people that would like to be FAT.
    c. duranriders stops short of calling her fat, it's freelea that says "no, she's FAT"... since people that live in glass houses (or in front of video cameras) shouldn't throw stones... I'm going to put it out there that freelea looks like someone I could snap in half over my knee and doesn't look terribly healthy, fit, or "hot" to me. (and please, don't say that's because I'm a woman *eyes roll*)
    d. there is NO REASON we need to fight over diets... *sigh* I have friends that are perfectly happy being raw vegans or non-raw vegans or... whatever. I have a friend who loves to eat sugar and hey, that's their prerogative. I feel healthiest eating paleo/primal 80+% of the time, and will continue to do so as long as I feel healthy, no matter what anyone else says.

argh. I wish I could ignore those tools on youtube. *DEEP BREATHING*

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think that part of the reason paleo and vegans react so strongly to each other is because they are so much alike.

A bit like australians and new zealanders. Ahem.
    I think this is very true! (I'm also both Australian and New Zealander so I don't know what that says about me lol).

Here are two groups of people BOTH trying to eat the "natural human diet"... BUT they're both on different tracks . On one side they're saying "humans are designed to eat fruit and other plant matter that's raw because way back in the day people didn't cook etc. etc.!" and on the other "humans are designed to eat a variety of natural foods, including meat, and they can cook it!" (Or, you know, something along that track).

I have been there, done that when it came to raw veganism! A lot of it made logical sense to me when I first read about it, it really did. It was just... almost impossible to keep eating that way! When I read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration I started thinking that raw veganism was off track... at the time I wasn't eating any meat, but after a year or so, I eventually bit the bullet and started eating it again. NOW, paleo/primal makes sense to me.

But yes, it's always struck me that raw vegans and paleo/primal folks actually have more in common with each other than they do with those who follow CW!! It's just... they've followed different paths .

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    well, technically, raw vegans would a la freelee qualify as paleo eaters. that is, all of the foods that they eat are not neolithic, and are therefore paleolithic, which means they are technically paleo. just sayin'. they are just more like kitivans!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Yep. Especially when you get into some of the raw paleo variations, there's not really all that much difference except for the inclusion of some animal foods and probably a higher percentage of fatty plant foods among the raw paleo types. Denise Minger's diet is really not all that far from Freelee's diet, although the banana people don't like the comparison.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast