Thread: Improving Blood Pressure page

mauler5858 is offline Member

Improving Blood Pressure

Shop Now
    Hey guys. I have been around here for a bit now, and have been on the wagon since Halloween. I had a few studder steps during the Christmas holiday, but overall I have been in the right direction. I have gone from 276lbs to 255lbs in this time. As for my eating I am 100% grain free, still some dairy(not too much), some dark chocolate(not too much), and a couple of glasses of red wine a week. Currently supplement with multivitamin, fish oil, and probiotics.

Earlier this year I started having blood pressure problems with an average BP of 145/95ish and the doc put me on lisinopril. After starting Primal I was able to drop the BP med. Now my BP is running around 130-135/78 average. I know this is not horrible, but I know it could be better.

What I am asking from you guys Is any advice you can offer from similar experience, or anything I can do to make this BP even better. I had heard that drinking hibiscus tea can be beneficial.

Thanks in advance.
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs
    Goal - Around 200lbs(will be focusing on the mirror and not the scale then)
    Working hard to make a healthier and more active me.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    What do you credit the BP reduction you've already seen to?

I don't know about hibiscus tea per se, but potassium levels seem to be strongly linked to blood pressure. Random web link: Potassium is Key for Healthy Blood Pressure | Health Tips

If your diet can't provide enough, supplementation makes sense to me....but I'm far from an expert.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Move slowly, a lot. Get plenty of sunshine, if available. Reduce stress. Continue eating clean - you seem to be OK here
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    What do you credit the BP reduction you've already seen to?

I don't know about hibiscus tea per se, but potassium levels seem to be strongly linked to blood pressure. Random web link: Potassium is Key for Healthy Blood Pressure | Health Tips

If your diet can't provide enough, supplementation makes sense to me....but I'm far from an expert.
    Extremely good article. Thank you! I have a physical on Friday and I will get him to check it in my bloodwork and we can see where I stand on potassium.

As for what I attribute it to, I certainly think that going Primal and most specifically ditching the grains has given me success.
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Move slowly, a lot. Get plenty of sunshine, if available. Reduce stress. Continue eating clean - you seem to be OK here
    I am trying as hard as I can to follow the Primal Fitness plan. Moving slowly and very often, lifting heavy things(3 30 minute lifting sessions per week), sprinting once a week. Sunshine, I get it when I can. Lovely desk job. Reduce stress....I am trying every chance I can. Seeing weight come off is certainly reducing some of it.
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs