Thread: Standing on the precipice page

JellyTart is offline Junior Member

Standing on the precipice

Shop Now
    Hi all

I'm Rebecca, I'm 27,married with 2 children (4 and 7 months) and I am overweight and maybe slightly confused

This time last year I was rushed into hospital for emergency surgery for a suspected ectopic pregnancy - no ectopic pregnancy just a twitchy knifed registrar slightly over enthusiastic to tell me I was going to die *rolls eyes* anywhoo I did need further surgery and a month in bed following that surgery and a miscarriage, less than 6 months later I am pregnant with baby number 2. Now this is the interesting part..... I am 5ft 1 (and a quarter!!!) and I did weigh 9st but I developed gestational diabetes and gained a whopping 6 stone. I have lost 4 and half stone but would love to be at a healthy weight and a smaller size if I am honest. I am going to Los Angeles this year to see family and I am not going to be the over weight and more importantly the unhealthy one in the pictures.

Now, I had it all sussed I was going to do the Dukan diet, lose 1000lbs in 1 week and be in a size 10 in a month, but, I have been warned due to surgery, pregnancy and weight gain this would shock my body and do me no good. So here I stand (sit, laptop on knee and glass of wine in hand) with hubby ready to go shopping and is just awaiting my shopping list before he leaves and I am stuck!
    I have searched the recipes, downloaded the books and here I sit unsure of where to begin! Throw into the mix that my plans to get back to yoga and pilates have been scuppered by breaking my wrist and I am hoping some poor soul will take pity on me and give me a guiding shove

With diabetes in both mine and my husbands families this change is important, I am just stuck!

Thanks

Rebecca

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    keep it simple. Make the bulk of your meals from: meat, fish, vegetables, eggs
    Second tier: fruit, dairy, nuts

Good luck!
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Thank you! I am struggling with breakfast - I downloaded a Paleo book and although it has nice recipes I cannot bake banana bread especially with my arm currently - any help?

Thanks

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Eggs for breakfast or Greek yoghurt or leftovers from dinner...
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Lol thank you! I just discovered the shopping list and found Greek Yoghurt and honey..... need I say more?

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JellyTart View Post
    I have searched the recipes, downloaded the books and here I sit unsure of where to begin!
    I settled on consistency to start with. I have a two large egg and mushroom/spinach omeletty thing for breakfast with a little dab of butter/coconut oil to grease the pan and give a different flavour. Lunch is salad stuff with either a tin of mackerel/salmon/herring or roast chicken thigh and now that I've lost weight I'll even have a piece of fruit for afters. Dinner is whatever my wife makes, although she now puts less potatoes on my plate than previously. We have a cooked lunch on Sundays and I will then not eat again until Monday morning as a little fast.

I believe we NEED treats. Mine is a 25gm piece of 70% cocoa solid chocolate (Aldi) every evening, after lunch on Sundays, and wine at weekends and Wednesday evenings when I go round a friend's house.

I also decided to keep track of everything I ate and used two online calorie counters, one of which gave nutritional information so I could make sure I kept to a healthy intake of vitamins, minerals etc. I also decided to keep exercise to a minimum to start with so that I was less likely to get hungry and overeat. For three months I just used a rowing machine for HIT exercise twice or three times a week. In June I added strength training for a further ten or so minutes a week, total about 15. Nowadays I do bodyweight and some lifting plus sprinting (well going as fast as I can) to the tune of about 30 minutes a week, plus quite a bit of walking to town and carrying shopping home in a rucksack.

I can't afford a lot of the grass fed meat, organic vegetables etc that are recommended. I just do the best with what I've got at present. My eggs are free range from Aldi or Lidl and when I spot appropriate primal type bargain foods, I'll buy them.

Anyway, I hope you get as much from the lifestyle as I have.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.