Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Into the Wild page 2

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This is an interesting article, although very long. Basically, he died of starvation.
    Into the Wild and other Poisonous Plant Fables Forager's Harvest
    Very interesting. Thanks.

It seems, just from reading that article, that he seemed to think he could be more "spiritual" by not eating meat. Which is a pretty stupid idea to have if you are trying to live off the land in Alaska.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    He was disillusioned with society, and wanted something better for himself, and believed he would find that internally, in an isolated spot in the wilderness. But he didn't think it through, he was idealistic, and sadly he got his wordly wisdom (that life is nothing unless shared with others) on his death bed. I don't think he was a dumbass. I think he was just young, and a dreamer.

I also think he had a death wish.
    I agree with this assessment of the situation. Some people would rather die than live the life modern-day society offers them. I can't wait for Mark's new book, which I understand addresses how to fulfill our primal needs in the best way possible within the framework of modern society. For McCandless and Paul Eppinger , the modern life that we're told is so wonderful isn't even worth living. And I can very much understand how someone could feel that way.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    I like the idea of doing what he did. I hope to do something like it one day, though I hope I will have better use of my own common sense. Like knowing how to safely cross a river for one.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I agree with this assessment of the situation. Some people would rather die than live the life modern-day society offers them. I can't wait for Mark's new book, which I understand addresses how to fulfill our primal needs in the best way possible within the framework of modern society. For McCandless and Paul Eppinger , the modern life that we're told is so wonderful isn't even worth living. And I can very much understand how someone could feel that way.
    Word.

"I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike."
    - Gauvreau, Emile Henry
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

carlh is offline Senior Member
    He's an absolute dumbass but I liked his motivation and mindset.

For a FAR better documentary on living in the Alaskan wilderness, check out the similarly named Alone in the Wilderness. It details the real, true wilderness survivalist Richard Proenneke in his quest to live alone and (mostly) on his own. Amazing, inspiring, and entertaining. Without leaving you feeling like you're watching an idiot.

Just a little here:

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have a friend who spent a period of time being like Chris McCandless minus the Alaska thing. He ended up becoming a software engineer, married, kids, the whole thing. People should just get out there and live their wanderlust if they have it. It doesn't shut as many doors as people think and probably opens many more doors than you can imagine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

patrickh is offline Member
    Dick Proenneke is one of my heroes. I remember watching that video when I was in my early teens.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Read the book and one word comes to mind.......careless. Hard to feel sorry for him even though it was an interesting read.

Now Dick Preonneke is a man to be admired!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Thanks for posting the link, it was long but well worth reading. I have run across the Poisonous Plant Fable myself several times usually with regard to foraging for mushrooms, some one always mentions some story where an experienced mushroom hunter died (usually kills family members too) from eating the wrong mushroom. The message is: Fear nature, it's dangerous!
    not always a myth when it comes to mushrooms Nicholas Evans: 'Guilt is my subject. I've taken research to an extreme degree' | Books | The Guardian The deadly dish that poisoned our lives: How The Horse Whisperer's Nicholas Evans almost killed his own family with wild mushrooms | Mail Online
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    How is it a fable? It's not an unusal thing for a young person to do (minus the dying part) - I travelled quite a bit in India and you see people like that dude all the time going off to live in caves, or the desert...
    The *Fable* that canterbolls is referring to is the Poison Plant Fable described in the article Sbhikes linked to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast