Thread: Probiotic Supplement Recommendations Please - Dairy Free. page

Ghjjf is offline Member

Probiotic Supplement Recommendations Please - Dairy Free.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey...

I've tried like a dozen probiotics over the last couple years and really want to nail it down to just one I can rely on.

I'm dairy, egg, yeast and gluten free.

I want it as a capsule ideally.

I know some good bacteria is important for yeast/fungle issues, that's important for me. I've been told I should aim for 10bil of each strain.

Thanks,

Let me have your suggestions.

Steve

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    What about fermented foods? My understanding is a tablespoon of fermented foods have more probiotics than a whole bottle of probiotics. I make/use sauerkraut, kombucha, water kefir, coconut milk kefir, beet kvass. all really simple to make and cheap.

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    What about fermented foods? My understanding is a tablespoon of fermented foods have more probiotics than a whole bottle of probiotics. I make/use sauerkraut, kombucha, water kefir, coconut milk kefir, beet kvass. all really simple to make and cheap.
    I heard something like 100 million per gram, making 100 grams to about 10 billion cultures? I could be wrong though.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'd go with any lacto-fermented veggies since you don't do dairy. Kraut is the most well known but you can do it with just about any hardy vegetable. Just make a brine and submerge veggies for 1-4 weeks.....presto! You got your probiotics. I love drinking the left over brine too (especially when I make it with garlic).....mmmmmmm

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Here are the two I use and I'm dairy free:
    Threelac (powdered packet)---very effective but pricey--box states there could be trace amounts and there is some yeast for the bacteria to feed off of (and keeps them alive)
    Amazon.com: Threelac Probiotic Dietary Supplement, Natural Lemon Flavor, Includes 60 .053-Ounce Packets: Health & Personal Care

My other go-to is: Kyodophilus
    Amazon.com: Kyolic, KYO-DOPHILUS 9 - 90 CAP: Health & Personal Care
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    We do dairy kefir and water kefir. My grains are three years old and much cheaper than constantly purchasing the powder and much more powerful. The packets were how we started out ie: our baby steps until we obtained the real deal with the grains. Much easier too.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    My preference is for Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra.
    Amazon.com: Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Ultimate Probiotics Formula, 90 VCaps: Health & Personal Care

I also do multi strain raw yoghurt... but that's dairy.
    I don't do any fermented veg due to needing to avoid sodium pretty strictly for medical reasons.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

otzi Guest
    For probiotics, fermented veggies are fine. Also, eating a bit dirty veggies from your own garden, if you know there are no pesticides and not being anal about keeping hands clean. Mark Sisson wrote a lot on this: Gut Flora and Your Healthy Immune System | Mark's Daily Apple

Also, don't forget prebiotics! Without them, probiotics don't stand a chance. Prebiotics are mainly fermentable plant fibers and resistant starch. Good article on RS: Resistant Starch: Now We're Getting Somewhere | Free The Animal

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Mark's Primal Flora have been completely effective, with PB, in curing, all by digestive issuse, and I think I had them all.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase